Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,421,995 times

Advertisements

Chris's post earlier pretty much sums up Pierre. I find it to be a neat, quiet little town... a lot more scenic than SF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM

19,728 posts, read 10,529,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Chris's post earlier pretty much sums up Pierre. I find it to be a neat, quiet little town... a lot more scenic than SF!
and more peaceful, than Sioux Falls. I will spend 5 days, in Pierre & enjoy every minute of it!
Sioux Falls? I can handle 5 hours, there & I'm ready to leave!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,421,995 times
Debey! lol
Why is that?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:25 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,117,157 times
I don't remember SF, though I am sure I have been through there. How does it compare to Indianapolis?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 PM

19,728 posts, read 10,529,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Debey! lol
Why is that?
Because I prefer the smaller towns, and the RIVER, is ALWAYS our ''draw'' for going to Pierre. When I go to Sioux Falls, I do what I went to do & GET OUT! (I think I'm getting OLD!)

Old 10-28-2008, 10:45 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,941,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
I don't remember SF, though I am sure I have been through there. How does it compare to Indianapolis?
Sioux Falls is a smaller version of Indianapolis. Sioux Falls' metro area is about a sixth of the size or so that of Indianapolis. Sioux Falls, by and large, has a suburban feel to it and many areas of Sioux Falls are similar to the suburbs of larger cities.

I have been through Indianpolis on two different occasions. I can remember Indianpolis being relatively flat, even more so than Sioux Falls. Although there are areas of Sioux Falls that are flat (area that is south of 41st St., west of I-29 comes to mind and some areas of southern Sioux Falls and areas along the Sioux River) and Sioux Falls seems flat compared to a number of other cities.

Pierre is definitely more peaceful that Sioux Falls, that Pierre has an edge. But I can can easily get board with it and have a relatively short attention span, which a more populated area suits me better (Sioux Falls or Omaha sized areas are ideal for me but Denver and Twin Cities areas are perhaps too big for my liking).

Last edited by Chris19; 10-28-2008 at 10:57 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 AM

Thanks. I have the feeling that someplace like Pierre would take getting used to for me. Where I have lived for the last 15 years is a community of roughly 100,000 people (I don't think that includes the 40,000 or so Purdue students!). I grew up in a smaller community in central NY (>30,000), but the conveniences of a larger city were only a half hour or so away. I guess I have gotten spoiled by having everything so close! I can't imagine having to drive 3 hours to get to Target! LOL! Even when we lived in SD, we were at the base, so things still weren't that far away!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 PM

28 posts, read 108,985 times
Default Living in Pierre

There are two Pierres, if you will. One is townies, the other is state workers. The two do not mix. One is stationary with poor to well off folks, the other, the state workers, are transient and quietly hostile to each other. Hostile because advancement is performed and played in a fish bowl. Pierre is a small fish bowl.

The townies ignore the state workers, except for profit reasons. The state workers are kindly but really pity the townfolk for their geographical path in life. The state workers believe they are where its at and if any group has the edge on meeting or knowing someone with aspirations, some one who will lift them from life's drudgeries, they believe they are in the proper group. Someday, I'll get a real job in Denver.

As the good families and the respectfilled offspring of good families dwindle across South Dakota, the new product appears in the capitol town ready for personal battle, disillusioned, less trusting, less fun, less spontaneously altruistic for the mere joy of life, less inclined to help one another save for more than quick short moments. Celebrating together, rich and poor, the gift of the landscape, the exploration of the state capital city, its tremendous parks, breathtaking river exposures are all gone really. Look at Farm Island. Where is everyone?

A great great asset of Piere was the mixing of all peoples in all places. I miss that today. I love Pierre very much. Everyone is welcome.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Can someone explain the previous post? It seems totally contradictory to me...I'm confused.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,746,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple betty View Post

The townies ignore the state workers, except for profit reasons. The state workers are kindly but really pity the townfolk for their geographical path in life. The state workers believe they are where its at and if any group has the edge on meeting or knowing someone with aspirations, some one who will lift them from life's drudgeries, they believe they are in the proper group. Someday, I'll get a real job in Denver.
So do YOU want a job in Denver or are you quoting the state workers? If so, why would South Dakota state workers want a job in Colorado???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota