Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple betty View Post
There are two Pierres, if you will. One is townies, the other is state workers. The two do not mix. One is stationary with poor to well off folks, the other, the state workers, are transient and quietly hostile to each other. Hostile because advancement is performed and played in a fish bowl. Pierre is a small fish bowl.

The townies ignore the state workers, except for profit reasons. The state workers are kindly but really pity the townfolk for their geographical path in life. The state workers believe they are where its at and if any group has the edge on meeting or knowing someone with aspirations, some one who will lift them from life's drudgeries, they believe they are in the proper group. Someday, I'll get a real job in Denver.

As the good families and the respectfilled offspring of good families dwindle across South Dakota, the new product appears in the capitol town ready for personal battle, disillusioned, less trusting, less fun, less spontaneously altruistic for the mere joy of life, less inclined to help one another save for more than quick short moments. Celebrating together, rich and poor, the gift of the landscape, the exploration of the state capital city, its tremendous parks, breathtaking river exposures are all gone really. Look at Farm Island. Where is everyone?

A great great asset of Piere was the mixing of all peoples in all places. I miss that today. I love Pierre very much. Everyone is welcome.
I would completely disregard this post, folks. It is not accurate and secondly doesn't make much sense. Just my opinion....nothing personal to the poster....

"Geographical path in life?"....what the heck does that mean?

Most of your post is hating Pierre and telling why you hate it and then suddenly you love Pierre very much.

To me, the thing that makes Pierre very livable for a lot of folks is that fact that it IS the State Capital. Many state workers, sure...and this adds generally to what would otherwise be a small town similar to others in South Dakota. If you like outdoor activities, hey, it's right on the Missouri River and Oahe Dam and all that has to offer. Also, it's fairly close to the Black Hills and recreational opportunities and scenery, etc...it's a 3 plus hour drive to Sioux Falls when you want to go to a concert or sporting event or shopping, or various restaurants, etc...

So, pros and cons...personally, I like a bigger place, but to each his own....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:35 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T64 View Post
I've been looking at SD for potential places to move from rapidly declining Las Vegas, NV, but Pierre never occurred to me until last night, when I saw the little orange pointer on Maps pointing at something in the center of the state. I just had to know what in the world it was pointing to, so I zoomed in and checked it out.
Looks lovely! Never expected this! And very near the Missouri River and lots of good fishing and hunting! I love it!

Sioux Falls and Rapid City were my main points of interest. This is mainly due to the fact that my wife is Thai, and she would like to meet with other Thais, naturally, and work in a Thai cafe. She loves it. I know there are Thai in Sioux City; not sure about Rapid City, but sure not sure about Pierre!
No Thai restaurants in Sioux Falls...maybe you have Sioux City mixed up with Sioux Falls....

Few Thais at all here, but we could use more diversity....

Sawadee Khap!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota