Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:01 AM

509 posts, read 1,684,602 times

Advertisements

Yesterday in North Florida we had a temperature of 80 degrees. Today, the high will be 61 degrees. We walked the dog last night. I suppose right now in South Dakota you could not do anything like this. Does the cold weather get frustrating at times for people in South Dakota, or does it just become a way of life? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:07 AM

19,728 posts, read 10,529,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Yesterday in North Florida we had a temperature of 80 degrees. Today, the high will be 61 degrees. We walked the dog last night. I suppose right now in South Dakota you could not do anything like this. Does the cold weather get frustrating at times for people in South Dakota, or does it just become a way of life? Thanks.
It's a way of life......sorta. Going to walk the dog? Just need to put your coat back on.......and walk fast enough to stay warm. LOL!
Seriously, we become a little more ''conditioned'' to the cold, as the seasons change.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM

400 posts, read 1,241,085 times
Hubby regularly walks the dog -- regarless of the weather. Right now this just requires 2 layers of clothes and warm boots. But, it also means that they don't go as far (frozen dog paws are no fun) and the dog comes home drier (no jumping in the water for him). And when hubby comes home he wants hot coffee or cocoa and a blanket after the shower that warms him up. Occasionally we shove the dog in the tub with warm water to thaw paws.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 AM

415 posts, read 974,724 times
Hard to say, I'm not originally from here but not too far away either (Des Moines And Omaha Area's) and I have always done nothing but T-Shirts, Jeans and one of the Satin Jackets 98% of my time outside. Occasionally that other 2% I will get all decked out in Full Mopp Gear that I still have left over from my military days to stay warm LOL. Mopp Gear is a gawd send and should be Winter Issued instead of the winter issue they normally do LOL. Mopp is Mission Oriented Protective Posture Gear, Stuff we wore for Nuclear, Biological or Chemical Warfare. Its got a Dark Black Charcoal type lining in it and is very very warm. When I wear that, I don't even feel the wind except on exposed parts, and I've worn it in 50+ mph winds and still nothing. I love it.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,745,107 times
People go for walks, run, and jog no matter what the weather is like here. It's all about layering clothes. The best combination is a tee, a sweater, thin winter coat (North Face, Helly Hansen) and gloves. Wear long johns too but probably not if you're running because it may get hot.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 11,582 times
in south dakota it is cold outside and s little bit ofsnow outside!!!
how exciteing
not!!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 PM

955 posts, read 3,654,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
People go for walks, run, and jog no matter what the weather is like here. It's all about layering clothes. The best combination is a tee, a sweater, thin winter coat (North Face, Helly Hansen) and gloves. Wear long johns too but probably not if you're running because it may get hot.
I agree - it really isn't even that cold here - its a nice day - our little big of snow is all melting - suns out and no wind - its really a nice day to be out!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,911,560 times
after work last night I took my Golden Retriever for a midnight walk. Was doing good until I slipped and fell on a piece of ice at the fire stations. That was good enough time to turn around and go home.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:01 PM

22 posts, read 153,363 times
Winter is definitely something a South Dakotan gets desensitized too. Well most of us anyway. I personally like that we get to experience all 4 seasons here.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,941,151 times
I have lived South Dakota my entire life and can tolerate winter for the most part with few exeptions. I can tolerate the cold. Not my favorite thing, but one has to take the good with the bad. I have an easier time tolerating subzero weather as opposed to snow or freezing rain.

Most people would assume having a mild and less than average snow type of winter we get sometimes (I am in the same camp), but there are some winters that are cold and some that are snowy (and no getting around it).

I usually wear my normal jeans or khakis, basketball shoes or dress shoes, and a long sleved shirt when I am out in the cold to keep warm in addition to a winter coat. I normally do not have a problem unless if it is 20 below with 25 plus mph wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota