Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 36,391 times

Advertisements

gurus,
I live in Boston, Mass but want to know whether South Dakota is good place for Asian Indians(East Indians)? Reading thru lot of threads but not able to get much detail, any info will be much appreciable.
From the the threads I'm seeing its lot of german ancestry and people backstab (this is common any where); but want to know about racial issue? Whether this place is racial motivated or open minded like Massachusetts.
No offense please, just want to start something and so going thru forbes and cnn and best place they referred it is South Dakota; but if people who lives or lived their may know much better than others.
Any opinion is much appreciable.

regards
-- Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Kris, South Dakota doesn't have much diversity, but I don't see how an East Indian family wouldn't live happily there. There was a Muslim family that lived down the street from me in Rapid City and they were very friendly and seemed happy. True, most of South Dakota is German in ancestry and most people are Christian-Conservative but I don't think South Dakotans are close-minded. I don't see how you came to the conclusion that SD is full of backstabbers either, but you're right, they're everywhere too. Although you won't find many other East Indians in SD you'll find that people are friendly, open, and they won't bother you. South Dakotans have a lot of common sense and are respectful.

What parts of South Dakota are you looking at and what is your job field?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Kris, South Dakota doesn't have much diversity, but I don't see how an East Indian family wouldn't live happily there. There was a Muslim family that lived down the street from me in Rapid City and they were very friendly and seemed happy. True, most of South Dakota is German in ancestry and most people are Christian-Conservative but I don't think South Dakotans are close-minded. I don't see how you came to the conclusion that SD is full of backstabbers either, but you're right, they're everywhere too. Although you won't find many other East Indians in SD you'll find that people are friendly, open, and they won't bother you. South Dakotans have a lot of common sense and are respectful.

What parts of South Dakota are you looking at and what is your job field?
I agree with Danny. Sioux Falls and Rapid City would be the two most diverse areas.
Sioux Falls has the Multi-Cultural Center (with numerous events throughout the year). The SF school district has a Spanish immersion program at Rosa Parks Elementary, which was built a year or two ago. Numerous other elementary schools have "English as a second language" classes for those not familiar with our language.
Sioux Falls has become more diverse, and more of a melting pot.
In fact, the gas station that is closest to my home is managed by an Asian Indian family. If you have any other questions, go ahead and ask!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
As stated earlier on this thread. SF and RC are becoming more diversified, especially over the last 5 to 10 years. However, your ethnic makeup is a pretty small minority in South Dakota.

Will you fit in? It depends more on your willingness to become one of us, rather than if you're determined to hold on to all your old country traditions. Try to become American like the people who immigrated not so long ago from Germany, Norway, Ireland, England, Holland etc. You can celibrate your roots like we still do around here, but blend into America as it is. If you do this, I GUARANTEE people in South Dakota will accept you. I think we are a very accepting people as long as the newbie wants to blend in.

We are, after all, a nation of immigrants.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I basically grew up in Rapid City and didn't see any "Foreign People". It wasn't until I was 21 and in the Navy they made me go to a "Culture Class". The instructor asked if anybody was a racist. They asked me in particular. I said, "No." They then asked me, didn't you have any minorities living in your home town? I said, "No, all we had was friends and neighbors." They then asked, think about it, were there any minorities in your area, or was it all "White". I had to think a bit and said, "You know, the people next door were black. The next house up from them, were Indian. The next house up was black. And then the rest of the block was white. The instructors asked me, "Didn't you look down on them for not being around from there?" I said, "They were from around there. They are my neighbors."

It wasn't until years later that I understood what they were trying to imply.

I think, that in South Dakota, the major cities will not do you wrong. Sure, there will be small instances of wrong. But not normally by true born and bread South Dakotans.

Having said that. I was born in Miller. A little town of 1500. There was a car accident that killed the mom and dad. My aunt then adopted the 3 girls in the car because they had no relatives. They paid all the hospital bills for injuries, they paid to bury the mom and dad, everything. But my aunt was white and the three girls were black. In that small town, she had a real problem for years. But by the time the girls were in Highschool, they were dating the local boys. So the town learned and accepted. But it was a rough row to hoe.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 PM

Default Thanks all for Rapid :) response

Thanks guys/gals for your rapid response I really appreciate it. I live in this country 10+ Years and lived most of the time in California and Boston, Mass as lot of diversified community people live.
I do mix with people very easily and honestly most of my friends are not indians but americans; but Mass and Calif is much different place than SD and just want to get the feeling.
My area of specialization is technology and financial and want to start small biz and see where it takes; thats why I'm looking for biz friendly place and came across SD.
Now I'm going to learn more about SD and mostly, possibly I may choose Sioux Falls but not sure though.
thanks and regards
--Kris

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Usher, here are a couple of links to help you out in your research~

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sioux-...uth-Dakota.htm

argusleader.com | Argus Leader | Sioux Falls news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Old 09-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Default thanks

thanks Jammie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota