Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:21 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times

Advertisements

Well.

That was bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 07:41 PM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Maximum Security deserved to be taken down.

I got to thinking about what I have been posting about War Of Will and decided to bet him as well. Good chance he would have won this if Maximum Security didn't clobber him as he was making a winning move.

Speaking of interfering the other hose I bet on, By My Standards, lost his race at the start. Never had a chance after #4 Gray Magician knocked him off stride by breaking left and cutting him off leaving the starting gate.

Bad luck today and too bad the track wasn't fast...

Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Thanks!

Tough to say why he is taking so much money.

The string of the favorites winning this the last 6 years in a row ends today.

No way did Maximum Security get a workout today. What he likely got was some exercise, or out for a gallop.
Very interesting on what you reported.

There will be more speed in this race then some think. Closing the one hole is going to make a big difference in the pace. I think with the extra room on the rail War Of Will leads at the half mile mark. Possible he could take that lead a long way. We'll see how far. Maximum Security never had company on the lead before. He's getting it today...
Not that it matters after what happened, but I read the story about the workout on the Horse Racing Nation site. It sounds crazy, but one of the commentators said that that's what horses used to do, and Jason Servis is old school.

The very first Derby I ever saw was when Dancer's Image won and of course was later disqualified. I was just a little kid and owner was local. I remember my parents talking about that for days. I've always been a fan or the sport ever since.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 PM

468 posts, read 355,964 times
I wait all year for the triple crown races and I use certain favorite jockeys ....Irad and his brother Jose along with Javier Castellano and Johnny V have always put serious coin in my pockets....but after years of favorites winning the Derby I was convinced more than ever that a bomb would win today.....so I looked at all the long shots but could not pick one to key on...

So then I started to look at the Pick 3 for races 11-12 (The Derby ) and race 13...and in race 11 I see my man Irad Ortiz Jr on the 12 horse Brick and Mortar ...I knew he would be the favorite but I am thinking if I can hit the pick 3 for a nice payoff I would need a bomb in the Derby....so I start to put a 50 cents pick 3 ticket together and I used the 12 in the 11th...and I saw his stablemate in the 2 slot so for race 11 I used the 2 and the 12...and for the Derby I went ALL hoping for a bomb to win ....and than for race 13 I saw Irad on a 8-1 shot and Javier on what I figured would be the favorite so for that last leg I used the 8-9-10-11 for a $76.00 wager

In the 11th Irad rode great and won the race as the heavy favorite..so I sit back and hope for a bomb in the Derby...and due to the disqualification of Maximum Security the 65-1 second place bomb was given first place and I am ecstatic...I mean I put together only one wager for the Derby that only cost $76.00 ( I usually bet much more on the Derby ) and I put that specific wager together hoping for a bomb in the Derby and now I am alive in the pick 3 with the biggest bomb I could have hoped for going into the last leg of the pick 3 and I am alive with 4 horses with two of them being ridden by Irad and Javier.....again I am ecstatic with the thoughts of cashing big time on a single pick 3 ticket....

Imagine my excitement !!! so I am on my feet to watch race 13 and rooting for one of my four horses to win so I can cash big time and what happens ? The 1 horse, Limonite, ridden by Ricardo Santana Jr wins the race going off at 5-1....man oh man oh man ..talk about going from ecstatic to bummed in under 2 minutes ...but that's racing and I took a shot and what I hoped for happened ( a bomb winning the Derby ) but I end up having the last leg of the pick 3 crush my hopes and what i thought would be a winning pick 3 ticket..

I'm uploading a screenshot of my ticket..
Attached Thumbnails
Horse Racing thread.-pk-3.png  

Last edited by NY 915; 05-04-2019 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 01:44 AM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
I watched it on YT as the last two horses entered the gate. I never heard L. Collmus mention Roadster the whole race. With 20 horses it's easy to forget one or two especially at the back of the pack. I gave a slim chance he was scratched but no he was down there at 15th.

--------------------------
This reminded me of the Derby won by Mine That Bird. If you watch the replay the track announcer was late "seeing" that Mine That Bird was fast along the rail and finally when the horse had taken the lead by a 2-3 lengths or more, finally he was noticed and mentioned and pulled away in the upset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv8x9x5A49s

Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I watched it on YT as the last two horses entered the gate. I never heard L. Collmus mention Roadster the whole race. With 20 horses it's easy to forget one or two especially at the back of the pack. I gave a slim chance he was scratched but no he was down there at 15th.

--------------------------
This reminded me of the Derby won by Mine That Bird. If you watch the replay the track announcer was late "seeing" that Mine That Bird was fast along the rail and finally when the horse had taken the lead by a 2-3 lengths or more, finally he was noticed and mentioned and pulled away in the upset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv8x9x5A49s
What's your take on the disqualification, Howard? I don't claim much in-depth horse-racing expertise, but I didn't see anything that would serve as a solid foundation for overturning the race result.

Good thing they don't overturn every greyhound race where something like that happens. We'd still be waiting for the very first legitimate winner after 100+ years.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:47 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Last night, I was okay about the decision. Today, after seeing the replays, I'm less sure.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Not that it matters after what happened, but I read the story about the workout on the Horse Racing Nation site. It sounds crazy, but one of the commentators said that that's what horses used to do, and Jason Servis is old school.

The very first Derby I ever saw was when Dancer's Image won and of course was later disqualified. I was just a little kid and owner was local. I remember my parents talking about that for days. I've always been a fan or the sport ever since.
What a coincidence, Casey. '68 was the first derby that I listened to on the radio and took an interest in.

I remember like it was yesterday combing my radio dial that Saturday afternoon at RPI and stumbling upon that Kentucky Derby broadcast and being instantly captivated by it. It put racing on my radar and I've been a casual follower ever since.

It would be 21 more years before I ever went to a track, though. And that was for greyhound racing at The Woodlands in Kansas City. I had much more succe$$ with greyhound wagering than with the horses.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:37 AM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What a coincidence, Casey. '68 was the first derby that I listened to on the radio and took an interest in.

It would be 21 more years before I ever went to a track, though. And that was for greyhound racing at The Woodlands in Kansas City. I had much more succe$$ with greyhound wagering than with the horses.
I once had a greyhound leave the track to chase a bird. I had $2 bet on that dog.

As far as the Derby the review took close to 20 minutes. The horse veered outside when the noise of the crowd picked up on the turn for home. It impeded War of Will and caused that horse to impede others. Overall the contact cost too many horses the chance to make a run.

Here is a good explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jwy9m9oDg0

Old 05-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I once had a greyhound leave the track to chase a bird. I had $2 bet on that dog.

As far as the Derby the review took close to 20 minutes. The horse veered outside when the noise of the crowd picked up on the turn for home. It impeded War of Will and caused that horse to impede others. Overall the contact cost too many horses the chance to make a run.

Here is a good explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jwy9m9oDg0
Sorry, Howard, I'm just not convinced of the legitimacy of the DQ.

Racing has never been, will never be, and can never be an exact science. Stuff happens. And has happened a zillion times before with no sanction. I saw no indication there that the jockey did anything deliberate in attempt to gain advantage. And, in the absence thereof, I believe the original order of finish should stand.

And that's not even considering the ripple effect of this decision on the sport's following for a good while to come. After this, who's gonna give a hoot about the Preakness or the Belmont? And next year....if a win can be stolen that arbitrarily, how many will ask themselves....why bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports