Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 07:11 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What's worse? Being old enough to remember when the team was good, or never having seen them be good?

Better to be a Redskins fan, where at least you have the glory days to look back on.. Or (at least before 2016) a Cubs fan.. Where you never saw them win a championship.. Or really, even be relevant?

as for suffering.. Washington fans overall. I mean, at least we had the Caps FINALLY win a Stanley Cup 7 years ago or so. Followed by the Nationals winning a World Series and then quickly sinking $200+ million into a player who has pitched 35 innings since signing that deal..

you know it's bad when you consider getting rid of the owner to be the highlight of the past 30 years.

But.. Let's bring up the Washington Generals.. I mean the Bullets. I mean the Wizards.

See? They're so irrelevant no one even thought to mention them here.

When was that team last truly relevant at all? Have to go back to the 70's when Wes Unseld was playing (and, you know.. Alive) Since 1980-1981 they've had 12 winning seasons. And their BEST record in that time was 49-33 in '16-17.

They've made the playoffs 16 times in the same time period, advancing past the first round 5 times, where they promptly lost in the semis.

The fact that they made the playoffs at all being below or right at .500 speaks to the lack of parity in the NBA.

They've done this with two owners as well. Old Man Pollan who didn't give two craps, IMO. And Leonsis.
I will say.. Boston sports fans can destroy good will in a heartbeat. Everyone was behind the Red Sox prior to 2004.. Then they won the WS and Boston just Bostoned it up. Same thing with the Patriots. The lovable loser Boston fan became the annoying Boston ****head in no time flat.
I remember when the Bullets won their 1 and only NBA championship.

I have ball signed by EVERY player on the team.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:44 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I remember when the Bullets won their 1 and only NBA championship.

I have ball signed by EVERY player on the team.

Honestly.. Before my time. Technically not, as I was born in '73, but.. Yeah. I was 4 when that happened. Wasn't really following basketball at the time.

I got into them during the Jeff and Moses Malone days.

I could never figure out why they kept Wes Unseld around as the coach.. Incredible player.. Poor coach.

Then the whole situation with Jordan and drafting Kwame effing Brown. I always wondered if Kwame would have been a better player if he had gone to college. He certainly wasn't worth the #1 overall pick used to take him.

FWIW.. I brought up Len Bias.. I never know who was selected before him.. I guess, over the years, I had kinda fooled myself into remembering that he was the first overall pick vs the second.. Brad Dougherty was picked ahead of him. Brad had a very good career.. Not sure #1 overall good, but.. Certainly solid.. and then went into racing where he's a part owner of the #47 team in the Nascar Cup series and a racing analyst on NBC.

Looking back on that 2001 draft.. Wow.. It was pretty slim pickings, wasn't it?

Old 03-15-2024, 03:11 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Honestly.. Before my time. Technically not, as I was born in '73, but.. Yeah. I was 4 when that happened. Wasn't really following basketball at the time.

I got into them during the Jeff and Moses Malone days.

I could never figure out why they kept Wes Unseld around as the coach.. Incredible player.. Poor coach.

Then the whole situation with Jordan and drafting Kwame effing Brown. I always wondered if Kwame would have been a better player if he had gone to college. He certainly wasn't worth the #1 overall pick used to take him.

FWIW.. I brought up Len Bias.. I never know who was selected before him.. I guess, over the years, I had kinda fooled myself into remembering that he was the first overall pick vs the second.. Brad Dougherty was picked ahead of him. Brad had a very good career.. Not sure #1 overall good, but.. Certainly solid.. and then went into racing where he's a part owner of the #47 team in the Nascar Cup series and a racing analyst on NBC.

Looking back on that 2001 draft.. Wow.. It was pretty slim pickings, wasn't it?
The 2001 draft wasn't bad, 8 All-Stars selected. Just horrible scouting of one of the first Prep to Pros and International heavy class, so the draft order doesn't match the best players in that draft

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../NBA_2001.html

Kwame suffered from some significant liabilities that were overlooked at the time. He had very small hands which made him TO prone and unable to handle the ball in traffic or finish off the catch. He had no jumper or ball skills to speak off. Good athlete, but no Tyson Chandler who was in the same draft. He still could have developed into a starter level player, but I have doubts he was ever going to put in the amount of work necessary to develop from a 19 year old prospect to a 25 year old player.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:48 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
In other words you only root for a team when they win.

That is NOT being a "fan".
Totally missed my point...or couldn't refute it.

You even gave yourself three weeks to come up with an actual rebuttal. Not so "quick enough".

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-31-2024 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Uncalled for.

Old 03-28-2024, 03:12 PM

178 posts, read 104,020 times
Oldham

Football team were once in the Premier League. After 4 relegations, they are now in the Conference.

Rugby League team were one of the founders of Super League. Club went bust. A new club was formed in 1997 and are in the lowest tier of the professional game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports