Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 10:23 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times

Advertisements

Riffing off of Boothwynman's, CelticFan's, and Beach43ofus's threads on current sports teams that fall short, and from a thread up in the Detroit forum started by Yaz, who was considering a road trip from Arizona to Detroit to watch the Tigers, I thought that I'd also post some of my response to Yaz's query here.

Which sports town currently has the most disappointed fans?

I offer up the following for consideration:
  • The Pistons are currently the worst team in the NBA, haven't been to the post season since 2019, and haven't won a post season game since 2008. They've basically been rebuilding since 2008.
  • The Red Wings are currently in the bottom third of the NHL, haven't been to the post season since 2016, and haven't advanced from the first round of the post season since 2013. They've been in rebuilding mode since 2017.
  • The Tigers are currently in the bottom half of MLB, haven't been to the post season since 2014. They are also in a rebuilding phase since 2017.
  • The Lions are currently in the middle of the NFL pack, haven't been to the post season since 2016, and have won only one post season game since 1962. Right now, the Lions are currently considered the best of the four professional sports teams in Detroit.

If there's a place in the US that has it worst, tell me about it. It might soothe my anguish.

Old 06-04-2023, 10:28 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Cincinnati? The Baseball team has been irrelevant for a very long time
The Bengals have had 2 soul crushing losses last 2 seasons. Let's see if its going to be 3.

Old 06-04-2023, 11:11 AM

9,973 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Oakland recently lost two of their major pro sports franchises, and there's a good chance they'll be losing the A's in the near future. I suppose they could always fall back on the SF teams, but that seems like taking pity charity from your rich neighbor.

Old 06-05-2023, 04:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Oakland recently lost two of their major pro sports franchises, and there's a good chance they'll be losing the A's in the near future. I suppose they could always fall back on the SF teams, but that seems like taking pity charity from your rich neighbor.
Yes, no city has it worse than Oakland for sports. No more Warriors, Raiders, and soon probably no more A's.
Hockey and MLS soccer are in San Jose, no WNBA. They will in fact no longer be a "sports town" at all.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:21 AM

55 posts, read 41,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Riffing off of Boothwynman's, CelticFan's, and Beach43ofus's threads on current sports teams that fall short, and from a thread up in the Detroit forum started by Yaz, who was considering a road trip from Arizona to Detroit to watch the Tigers, I thought that I'd also post some of my response to Yaz's query here.

Which sports town currently has the most disappointed fans?

I offer up the following for consideration:
  • The Pistons are currently the worst team in the NBA, haven't been to the post season since 2019, and haven't won a post season game since 2008. They've basically been rebuilding since 2008.
  • The Red Wings are currently in the bottom third of the NHL, haven't been to the post season since 2016, and haven't advanced from the first round of the post season since 2013. They've been in rebuilding mode since 2017.
  • The Tigers are currently in the bottom half of MLB, haven't been to the post season since 2014. They are also in a rebuilding phase since 2017.
  • The Lions are currently in the middle of the NFL pack, haven't been to the post season since 2016, and have won only one post season game since 1962. Right now, the Lions are currently considered the best of the four professional sports teams in Detroit.

If there's a place in the US that has it worst, tell me about it. It might soothe my anguish.
Not even close to the worst. I can still remember the great Red Wings teams of the 90s. And Pistons won a title not that long ago.

Twin Cities is in the discussion. Only one of their teams (Twins) have won a championship, and that was 1991.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:10 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Relaxo View Post
Not even close to the worst. I can still remember the great Red Wings teams of the 90s. And Pistons won a title not that long ago.

Twin Cities is in the discussion. Only one of their teams (Twins) have won a championship, and that was 1991.
The Twin Cities are in the running, but your data isn't quite accurate. The Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991. The WNBA's Minnesota Lynx have won multiple titles, but right now are a below average team. Not a great track record for Minnesota, but not quite as bad as you stated.

To follow is data that helps back up your statement.

No football team in NFL history has as good of a winning % without winning a title as the perennial screwup Minnesota Vikings. As to the Timberwolves, since their inception you would be hard pressed to find a worse franchise. Not only are they average at best (this year) or worse, but they're BORING. Hockey wise the North Stars (when they were in Minnesota) made the Stanley Cup final once in the early 80's and lost. The Wild has had some decent teams, but have never gotten to the pinnacle.

Not a great deal to cheer about.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The Twin Cities are in the running, but your data isn't quite accurate. The Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991. The WNBA's Minnesota Lynx have won multiple titles, but right now are a below average team. Not a great track record for Minnesota, but not quite as bad as you stated.

To follow is data that helps back up your statement.

No football team in NFL history has as good of a winning % without winning a title as the perennial screwup Minnesota Vikings. As to the Timberwolves, since their inception you would be hard pressed to find a worse franchise. Not only are they average at best (this year) or worse, but they're BORING. Hockey wise the North Stars (when they were in Minnesota) made the Stanley Cup final once in the early 80's and lost. The Wild has had some decent teams, but have never gotten to the pinnacle.

Not a great deal to cheer about.
WNBA only has 12 teams last time I checked so I don't really consider them.

Vikings have to be among the most disappointing NFL teams ever.

Buffalo (Bills, and Sabres too) have to be up there as well.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:32 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I'm a Mets fan so not only do I have a World Series drought since 1986, but I don't even count in this poll because another New York team has won the WS this century. Luckily I root for the Packers and the Celtics in other sports (I don't follow hockey).

But it could be worse. A guy I work with is a Mets/Jets/Knicks fan.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:10 PM

333 posts, read 180,999 times
I can't necessarily attest to the accuracy of this link but it'll have to do unless someone can document otherwise..

https://champsorchumps.us/drought/lo...rought-by-city

^Per the end of the most recent super bowl, these cities have gone the longest without a *championship>

117 Buffalo
117 Minneapolis/St Paul
114 San Diego
(no one else even close)

Adding in the current NHL and NBA results would lead to this revision>

119 Minneapolis/St Paul
118 Buffalo
114 San Diego

And as the TC will be accruing non-championships at double the rate of Buffalo or quadruple the rate of San Diego in the foreseeable future, it is likely the Twin Cities will build such a streak that will leave future sports historians forgetting all about jinxes involving billy goats or candy bars.

Personally, I blame Harold Stassen.

(*I hope I won't insult anyone by not including the WNBA)

Old 06-06-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
I can't necessarily attest to the accuracy of this link but it'll have to do unless someone can document otherwise..

https://champsorchumps.us/drought/lo...rought-by-city

^Per the end of the most recent super bowl, these cities have gone the longest without a *championship>

117 Buffalo
117 Minneapolis/St Paul
114 San Diego
(no one else even close)

Adding in the current NHL and NBA results would lead to this revision>

119 Minneapolis/St Paul
118 Buffalo
114 San Diego

And as the TC will be accruing non-championships at double the rate of Buffalo or quadruple the rate of San Diego in the foreseeable future, it is likely the Twin Cities will build such a streak that will leave future sports historians forgetting all about jinxes involving billy goats or candy bars.

Personally, I blame Harold Stassen.

(*I hope I won't insult anyone by not including the WNBA)
Yes. The Timberwolves are probably the worst run NBA franchise in history. Vikes are locally nicknamed the "Queens" for being runners up four times and our two NHL teams have never won a thing. And the Twins titles are a distant memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports