Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 17,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmana View Post
gonefishing, the person who posted this is "Restricted" and hasn't been here in months. I own and forum and have had trolls sign up with the name "gonefishing" before. Nice play on words. It looks like he was just a troll, trying to 'fish for suckers' to rile up. I wouldn't take anything he said seriously.
Does that mean the stats they quoted are bogus as well? I must admit, as someone who has the Springfield area on my short list, they gave me pause. (Not the churches and the witches coven; live and let live, I say. I meant the crime and such.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,708 times
Default To YOU moving from KC

Just thought that I would let you know there are a couple of gay bars around here. One of them is Marth's Vineyard and another is Latin Vibe. They are pretty cool and most of the people that go there you are able to really get to know rather than just bumping and grinding. My friends and I go there ofter and sort of consider ourselves VIP at Martha's

Old 01-05-2008, 06:49 PM

58 posts, read 146,322 times
I just had to post I moved from Phoenix AZ in Sept and I have no regrets I love the wheather and the scenery, and the people here seem pretty nice in general.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 AM

25 posts, read 79,410 times
You sure have done your homework, the truth is, a city is a city, move into the country or outside of town in a subdivision and avoid most of that junk. I can help, Steve

Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 AM

16 posts, read 63,418 times
I would move to Springfield in a minute! My god, what state is perfect and I will move there myself! I live in California and want to move to the Springfield area myself, people are friendly, caring! Go on websites about your state and see what you find.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 AM

25 posts, read 79,410 times
Bunny, you are right, there is a lot to be said for attitude, want to see my website? Click on my name and search my website for homes and neighborhood info etc.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:16 PM

27 posts, read 113,013 times
Springfield is NOT a dangerious place to live. Do not be worried. I lived their for 26 years and finally got away - now live in New York City and trust me Springfield is NOT a dangerous place to live. Every single murder that happens in the area makes it on the local news because it doesn't happen very often.
Traffic does suck, there is no disputing that.
There is no architecture to speak of.
People make it sound like there is absolutely nothing to do and that is not true. Springfield is a college town and because of that there is a nightlife, there is some culture, the downtown area has flourished in the last 10 years to house bookstores, coffeeshops, bars, theaters, etc.
Personally I moved to get away from the conservative, christian, republican rednecks and the mindset that encompasses.
That is just my preference; some people like to live in that sort of environment but it is not for me so I moved.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 PM

12 posts, read 48,280 times
Default Nixa MO, Tulsa OK, Meridian ID

My husband, son and I are dying to get out of New Jersey. We were both born and raised here but don't want to spend the rest of our lives here. We're considering Meridian Idaho, Tulsa OK, and Nixa MO. What a combination, huh? We loved Idaho for the low humidity because Jersey is brutal in the summer...it's mostly in the 90's all the time with 80-90 percent humidity....like living in Florida. But I like the idea of being a little closer to Texas where I have some family. How is the humidity in the Springfield area? Anyone have any input on Tulsa as well?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 17,849 times
Default Springfield...a decent town

I ran across this messageboard today and found this particular thread to be interesting. I was born in Springfield in 1949. I lived there until I was 18, moving to San Jose in 1968. As a young man, I felt I needed to be "on the coast"....which merely meant California. I have never regretted the move (and extremely happy that I chose the Bay Area over LA). I have now retired (a little early) in Clovis CA.

Springfield is forever my "hometown". I love to visit. I love to go out Sunshine St. road (highway D) to see where our house used to sit. However, for me, it would be a far too conservative place to live (although the argument can be made that Clovis CA is more conservative than Springfield).

If anyone is thinking of living there, they should know that the summers are hot and humid during the season (but that's why they invented air conditioning isn't it?) and the winters can be very cold. It seems that the last few years, the winter weather has become more extreme than when I lived there. Ice storms are genuinely beyond description. Thunder snow is also a unique experience. And....tornadoes. However, where can a person live without nature causing some problems?

If you are politically liberal (and contrary to some of the talk radio nonsense these days, there is nothing evil about that), be prepared to be in the minority. For the most part, people in the area will be respectful of your politics. Those who are not respectful are probably not worth knowing anyway. Just be prepared.

It's beautiful country in the spring and fall. Summers can be enjoyed because of the endless recreational opportunities. Winter is the only "bad" season, IMHO.

Just thoughts from a person who was born there.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:11 PM

12 posts, read 34,500 times
Hello,

Ok, Ok, lets let cooler heads prevail here.

Crime rates, ugly houses, bugs, tornados. What city doesn't have their problems?

Not withstanding the responses you have gotten here, we Southwest Missourians are in general some of the most frendly and helpful people you will find in the nation. As a teen ager in the 70's I moved here from Chicago with my folks and I have survived!

First of all crime is not rampant in our area. Like most cities it depends on what neighborhoods you live in. There are many neighborhoods with brand new elegantly styled and MODERATLY priced housing. (that is compared to the rest of the nation) Then there is the weather. Missourians say if you don't like the weather just stay around for 5 minutes and it'll change. We have maybe 3 or 4 snow or ice events each winter and we are lucky if they last a week. The rare event lasts 2 weeks but not often. As far as seeing our Ice storm in the news, well what can I say, the news organizations do love a good tale! That Ice event lasted about 3 or 4 days depending weather or not you live to the north of Springfield or not. Yes there was some damage but that's what home owners insurance is for. And I can tell you when there is a problem your neighbors and friends are there to pitch in.

As for me and my family we love it here. I live in a little town to the south of Springfield. We do much business and shopping in Springfield and I love it because it has everything you could want and in just minutes in any direction you are out in the country. There are lakes, Forests and National Parks with streams and parks with fishing, hiking, horseback riding, hunting, camping and resorts all within 1 hour in any direction of Springfield. When you leave the city limits you are in God's country where hills and valleys and good people abide.

Perfect? No, but we sure got it good. I feel sorry for you if you don't see the good for the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area