Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I don't don't know what so many midwesterners have against Trader Joes.
I would welcome a store that offers quality food at very reasonable prices.

And the beer is super cheap.
Uh, I was shopping at Trader Joe's in Chicago and the Chicago suburbs back in the early '90s... so which 'Midwesterners' would these be? The fantasy ones that inhabit your dreams and provide you with someone to feel superior to?

When I read your posts, I can almost *smell* the (virtual) belchy gahlic breath emitted with each sophisticated observation about "flyova country." Why is that, I wonder...?

I'd tell you to return to the Mid-Atlantic, but *I'm* stuck here, and the last thing I want is additional people (especially additional natives... ugh.. take your greasy old '50s diner food and give me a whimsical/creative salad [the kind I used to eat daily in Columbia and Kansas City, MO], please, thanks ) clogging up this cesspool...

And most of the food at Trader Joe's is only mediocre, anyway. As far as national natural foods chains go, I'll take Whole Foods any day (if only the ones in the DC area carried more dried fruit, vegetarian stuff, etc., etc., etc.).

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-14-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Uh, I was shopping at Trader Joe's in Chicago and the Chicago suburbs back in the early '90s... so which 'Midwesterners' would these be? The fantasy ones that inhabit your dreams and provide you with someone to feel superior to?

When I read your posts, I can almost *smell* the (virtual) belchy gahlic breath emitted with each sophisticated observation about "flyova country." Why is that, I wonder...?

I'd tell you to return to the Mid-Atlantic, but *I'm* stuck here, and the last thing I want is additional people (especially additional natives... ugh.. take your greasy old '50s diner food and give me a whimsical/creative salad [the kind I used to eat daily in Columbia and Kansas City, MO], please, thanks ) clogging up this cesspool...

And most of the food at Trader Joe's is only mediocre, anyway. As far as national natural foods chains go, I'll take Whole Foods any day (if only the ones in the DC area carried more dried fruit, vegetarian stuff, etc., etc., etc.).
Chicago is a bit different than the rest of the midwest. It is a real, fun cosmopolitan city that any NYer or Angeleno would feel very comfortable in.

There are people in Missouri and other parts of the country that are afraid that a Trader Joes will "Californicate" their region. They probably have never been in one, but "absolutely know" from a friend of a friend that Trader Joes is "one of them stores, where hippie and Californians go to get their rolling papers, granola, hemp soap, patrouille oil and subversive literature.

You can waste your money at Whole Foods (and still not know if you are really getting "organic food") or you can get decent, quality food, most of it marked with a country of origin (unlike Whole Foods). Trader Joes meats are second too none.

I'm not even going to comment on the rest of your post.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo_man_sanchez View Post
There's just as comfortable casual footwear out there that doesnt look so "gamey" if your willing to investigate.
Ummm....Thanks! LJ and my wife and I are friends in RL. Justa joshin' her.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Hey all....I moved here from Las Vegas...I don't think wanting a TJ's is trying to make it like Las Vegas (Nevada), Indiana, Illinois, New Mexico,
Washington, New Hampshire, Mass., or (gasp)...California! TJ's is already in Brentwood MO, Creve Cour MO, Chesterfield, and (one other). They are also in Georgia, Texas, Utah, and more.

Why is it that when someone suggests something new, ya'll jump on California? It's just a grocery store of heavens sake. It carries foods free of red dye, high fructose corn syrup, and other man-made additives. It has a wonderful selection of vegetables, fruits, baked goods, nuts, oils, wines, etc...and for what it is it's cost effective!

Same with the person who suggested Whole Foods. A wonderful organic/natural grocery store...and it originated in the south..New Orleans I believe. But when someone mentions it, CA comes up. Does anyone really believe that CA is the only state that gets new stores? Ya'll really should get out more..

On another note, Springfield may not be a major metropolitan area but it is a city that can benefit from better selection in some service/retail areas.. I find it interesting that most of the negative comments are coming from people who don't live in Springfield.

I for one, am putting in my bid for TJ's, CA Pizza Kitchen, Costco, farmer's market permanent location, another movie house, and a new dog park.

And I agree on the Farmer's Market...another suggestion for this new (future) development. CA Pizza Kitchen would be nice too...I've been surprised that we don't have one. They are pretty common where there is a mall nowadays.

No Trader Joe"s in Texas and on the forums there it's mostly the newbies who want it. Countless arguments ensue over this because we already have enough grocery stores. Whole Foods originated in Texas...Austin.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Makes sense to me, especially as nuthin's changed in TX since the Alamo!
So not true

Old 04-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Ummm....Thanks! LJ and my wife and I are friends in RL. Justa joshin' her.
Tevas are a bit less granola than Birkenstocks

Old 04-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Tevas are a bit less granola than Birkenstocks
I wouldn't know. Never owned a pair in my life, and I was raised in Newport Beach. But that was long before Birkenstocks.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't know. Never owned a pair in my life, and I was raised in Newport Beach. But that was long before Birkenstocks.
sperry topsiders?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
sperry topsiders?
Didn't have the wherewithal for "custom" deck shoes! Made due with U.S. Keds. Sailed just fine.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Barefoot for me when I am sailing. Neoprene booties for when it is to cold. Dollarstore slip-on sneakers work pretty well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area