Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,589,556 times

Advertisements

I had heard rumors of a new International Airport in the works for the Washington area? Is this true? I havent been able to find anything about it on google so I'm assuming no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,097,918 times
a international airport for a little town like that what you heard was probably a lie!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM

Actually, St. George isnt a little town. 123 miles is a pretty good distance for a city of 50,000 plus to have to go for an airport.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM

595 posts, read 2,747,517 times
St. Greorge is building a whole new airport, yes. Weather it is international, no. It's to be a regional airport.

Future Vision For St. George, Utah

Old 04-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Thanks so much. You're right. Tha't what I was thinking of...too bad about it not being International.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:51 PM

24 posts, read 109,653 times
They have discussed offering flights to Mexico due to the large proportion of retirees in the area. That is where the "International" term may have started.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 AM

18 posts, read 47,986 times
Default Yes International

I am from St George and yes it is going to be an international airport. They have been talking about it for year and finally signed of on it. So it will be an international airport. They are doing a whole new freeway turn off for it and everything. It will take you right to the airport. It will be out past the washington fields area.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:02 AM

63 posts, read 226,276 times
Default Definition of "International"

"International" distinction when attached to an airport is a pretty loosely knit term. About the only possibility for direct flights to any international destinations out of SG would be the Mexico market.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:06 PM

494 posts, read 1,902,269 times
It will be interesting to see what flights are going to be offered, considering the current state of the airline industry and how most carriers are cutting capacity.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM

31 posts, read 127,934 times
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but "International" means fights outside of the (this) Country, no?

I personally haven't read anything concerning this Airport stating that it would be international.

I also haven't seen anything that shows any new "carriers" signing on, at this point, to provide non-stop services outside of the already existing routes this Community already has or any existing "carriers" promising to use "full-sized" airplanes (regional jets) for their current routes. Is that information available anywhere?

IMHO: With sincere apoligies to our City "leaders" and their projections that the new IMPROVED Airport will bring in $220+ million a year in revenue (directly and indirectly) it may not be the best time to open a new Airport:

May 21, 2008
Airlines’ Cuts Making Cities No-Fly Zones
By MICHELINE MAYNARD(NYTimes.com)

Earlier this decade, city officials in Hagerstown, Md., started making the case to build a longer runway at their airport to lure service by regional jets, instead of the turboprop planes that provided its only flights.

Several years and $61.4 million later, the city opened its concrete welcome mat, a new 7,000 foot runway, last November — two months after the airport lost scheduled air service altogether.

Despite its costly investment, a dogged marketing effort by local officials and even help from Congress, the airport has had no luck attracting a new carrier, as the industry struggles under soaring fuel prices.

“Could we pick a worse time to go out and get commercial service? Probably not,” said Carolyn Motz, director of the Hagerstown Regional Airport, which had 10 daily flights a decade ago.

The airports have grown quiet in many other communities, too.

Financially strapped airlines are cutting service, and nearly 30 cities across the United States have seen their scheduled service disappear in the last year, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. Others include Wilmington, Del.; Lake Havasu City, Ariz.; and Boulder City, Nev.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/bu...in&oref=slogin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George