Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
Forgive my omission, Patton.
I took MSM for joint pain but felt no better while using it. I experienced no lightheaded feelings. However, I have amazing benefits with glucosamine.
Everyone seems to be unique as far as side effects go. Sulphur is naturally found in the body and in food so side effects should be rare unless too much is consumed.
Personally, I prefer alpha lipoic acid, which is a form of sulphur and has the advantage of many proven health benefits.
Yes, I've been using ALA for many years. It's a potent antioxidant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 28,834 times
I take it! It got rid of my knee pain AND restored my hearing so I can hear on the phone. It made me really tired for the first two weeks but now I feel really good and usually I'm depressed. I HAD SUDDEN AND SEVERE HEARING LOSS 5 YEARS AGO....WEAR HEARING AIDS, BUT HAVE A LOT OF DISTORTION. MSM...YES A SOLVENT... RESTORED THE FIDELITY TO MY HEARING AND NOW I CAN HEAR ON THE PHONE. BY THE WAY, I'M NOT ASSOCIATED WITH ANY COMPANY THAT SELLS MSM AND I'M TELL YA THE TRUTH.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
I took MSM, 4000mg a day, for about 15 years. I took it to stop nerve pain after back surgery. My left hip always hurt, a constant aching pain that never stopped. The doctor said I had permanant nerve damage.

One day, a co-worker told me to try MSM. Within a few weeks the pain was gone. I never noticed any other side effects.

A couple of times when I ran out of it......within two weeks the pain would come back.

After I was retired for a couple of years, I quit taking it to see if I still needed it........I didn't......since I was no longer abusing my back at work.

I don't care what the studies say......it worked for me when I needed it.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,022,774 times
It gave me a permanent sore throat, until I gave up on taking it.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I took MSM, 4000mg a day, for about 15 years. I took it to stop nerve pain after back surgery. My left hip always hurt, a constant aching pain that never stopped. The doctor said I had permanant nerve damage.

One day, a co-worker told me to try MSM. Within a few weeks the pain was gone. I never noticed any other side effects.

A couple of times when I ran out of it......within two weeks the pain would come back.

After I was retired for a couple of years, I quit taking it to see if I still needed it........I didn't......since I was no longer abusing my back at work.

I don't care what the studies say......it worked for me when I needed it.
If you believed that licking a chocolate-mint lollipop 5 times every morning as soon as you wake up would work, it would've worked.

There is nothing in DMSO2 that has been shown, indicated, hinted at, or even advertised, that is capable of relieving nerve pain.

What you experienced was a placebo effect.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you believed that licking a chocolate-mint lollipop 5 times every morning as soon as you wake up would work, it would've worked.

There is nothing in DMSO2 that has been shown, indicated, hinted at, or even advertised, that is capable of relieving nerve pain.

What you experienced was a placebo effect.
I had no more reason to think the MSM would work than I did other things I tried, like aspirin and various prescription NSAID's I was given, a lumbar belt I was givin to wear, etc.

Funny the placebo effect would kick in on MSM on not anything else. I call BS.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 28,834 times
Reporting in. Just finished first month of continuous MSM intake. Average 3.3 grams per day for the first month. I have terrible toe nail fungus. My son calls my nails "tales of the crypt" nails. After one month of taking MSM, there is clear nail grow on all my toes. Also, about three days after I started taking MSM for the knee, i broke my thumb. I had very little pain except if I made the mistake of actually trying to use the thumb to hold something, in which case, the pain was very intense. I don't think this was the placebo effect as someone suggested. I broke bones before and they throb, but this time the pain was very easy to deal with

Starting second month of MSM. Currently taking about 5-6 grams a day. No side effects now.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Has anyone tried this supplement? If so, how did you feel after taking it for a few days?
I've been using it on and off for a couple of years now. The benefits are amazing. Its best if paired with citrus, like, lemon. The vitamin C and MSM work in synergy and allow for greater absorption and assimilation. I basically use it as a beauty elixir. I can definitely see the effects in my hair and skin. When taken in high levels it is most beneficial on connective tissue. But I can't get past the taste, so that's why I go off and on. I buy it loose, in bulk. Have you tried adding pearl powder ? When combined it takes it to the next level.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,647 times
Thanks for your insight everyone. I appreciate it.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
There is a little evidence that MSM may help osteoarthritis. This study compared glucosamine, MSM, and a combination of both to placebo in a double blind trial. The MSM and glucosamine were well tolerated.

Randomised, Double-Blind, Parallel, Place... [Clin Drug Investig. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Several other studies showed a small benefit with MSM. None were long term, so it is difficult to say whether the benefits can be maintained in the long run.

MSM for arthritis pain: Is it safe? - MayoClinic.com

It has not been shown to help other conditions:

Msm (Methylsulfonylmethane) Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements