Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,996,282 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried this supplement? If so, how did you feel after taking it for a few days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 03:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,816,265 times
Has anyone tried it for what, exactly? There is no health benefit to taking it, that you can't get from eating proteins and adding some onion to your dinner salad.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Has anyone tried it for what, exactly? There is no health benefit to taking it, that you can't get from eating proteins and adding some onion to your dinner salad.
The question is straightforward. I asked if anyone had taken it. Period.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
The question is straightforward. I asked if anyone had taken it. Period.
Yes, I read your post. And I asked you to clarify - has anyone taken it for what? If someone took it because they had a broken foot, what answer would you expect to see from them? If someone claimed to take it for Hodgekin's Lymphoma, and they didn't feel any better after a few days, would you be surprised?

It isn't likely you'll feel -anything in particular- after taking it a few days, because it serves no particular nutritional function and has an extremely low toxicity rate.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, I read your post. And I asked you to clarify - has anyone taken it for what? If someone took it because they had a broken foot, what answer would you expect to see from them? If someone claimed to take it for Hodgekin's Lymphoma, and they didn't feel any better after a few days, would you be surprised?

It isn't likely you'll feel -anything in particular- after taking it a few days, because it serves no particular nutritional function and has an extremely low toxicity rate.
People tend to take it as a "cleansing" agent, from what I've read. I've never heard of it being used for the two conditions you noted. At any rate, have you taken it?

Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 PM

No, I haven't taken it. Nor would I. It's a solvent, and there have been many claims by companies that manufacture and sell the stuff, that it can treat, or cure, anything from chronic pain to cancer, vaginal yeast infections. hair loss, depression, vision loss, joint inflammation, snoring, and a host of other diseases, disorders, and medical issues. There are no actual studies to support -any- medical claims. However, there were two studies that suggested it -might- be useful against osteoporosis, but the studies were unable to come to any conclusions about it.

There's no reason why anyone -would- take it, which is why I asked what you were expecting anyone to be taking it for.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Now then, to get back to my original question. Has anyone taken MSM? If so, how did you feel after the first few days?

Old 05-22-2011, 01:45 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,647,392 times
I've tried it, along with friends. It's useless for therapeutic purposes.
Check Quackwatch.org and YoungAgain.org. which are both non profit organizations.
It's promoted for joint health, but glucosamine is the proven supplement with many clinical studies.
Try MSM for a month to see how useless it is. It's sulphur and the average diet gets plenty already.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
I've tried it, along with friends. It's useless for therapeutic purposes.
Check Quackwatch.org and YoungAgain.org. which are both non profit organizations.
It's promoted for joint health, but glucosamine is the proven supplement with many clinical studies.
Try MSM for a month to see how useless it is. It's sulphur and the average diet gets plenty already.
You didn't tell me how you felt. Some folks say they feel lightheaded.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:47 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,647,392 times
Forgive my omission, Patton.
I took MSM for joint pain but felt no better while using it. I experienced no lightheaded feelings. However, I have amazing benefits with glucosamine.
Everyone seems to be unique as far as side effects go. Sulphur is naturally found in the body and in food so side effects should be rare unless too much is consumed.
Personally, I prefer alpha lipoic acid, which is a form of sulphur and has the advantage of many proven health benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements