Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:27 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,333,273 times

Advertisements

I've taken Melatonin for a few years now with no problems. Works good for me. No more dreams then I usually have I don't think and I wake up refreshed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,902,982 times
I take melatonin and benadryl together. In the last year, I've had to totally switch my sleep schedule around to being awake during the day, after ten years of sleeping during the day. I think I've taken melatonin for about six years, and the benadryl for at least that long. I take it 30 minutes before bedtime. When I take melatonin without benadryl, I always wake up six hours later. I feel good enough to get up then, but I'm trying to sleep 8 hours instead.

I do get intense dreams sometimes with the melatonin. Not gory dreams, usually, but more vivid than my usual dreams.

I've tried valerian but can't get past the taste and odor. Kava kava works well too but it can make you feel lazy during the day, and if you take it too long you get rashes.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:17 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
I took a 5mg Melatonin pill for awhile. I THINK it helped me fall asleep, but I'm not sure if it was the pill, or just the placebo effect.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,356,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I took the 5mg last night before bed and definitely had a few weird dreams. I'm not sure if it was the Melatonin or the fact I've gotten little sleep the last few days but I slept pretty good last night. Will experiment again tonight.
Glad some others are reporting good results w/melatonin. How goes it after a few days, Bigfoot?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,963,684 times
I take Melatonin 3mg about once or twice a week to help catch up on sleep. I also have a changing sleep schedule. As long as you are able to sleep about 7 hours, you shouldn't have a hangover. I take it about 30 minutes before I lay down, and I'm out pretty quick. It depends on how much food is in your stomach.

I like Melatonin because it is a natural chemical in the body. I would start with the smaller doses to see if it is enough. 3mg is enough for me and I'm right at 200 lbs.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
My son and I both used melatonin and both had the same problem with weird dreams and feeling like we are in a half awake/half asleep mode. Neither of us liked the experience or feel rested the next day. I've tried it a couple times over the years with the same results. Benadryl works, but I have to take it 2 hours before bed since thats when it seems to kick into high gear sleep wise. If I REALLY need to sleep I take an Ambien.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
I've used the Melatonin for a week or so now. Other than the first night the dreams don't seem to be an issue. I'm traveling and staying in hotels now and never sleep well in hotels but the Melatonin seems to be helping some.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,802,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Hangover? Didn't see that on the side effects on web md.
It's not a hangover exactly, but if I take 3 mg of melatonin I must get 8 or 9 hours of sleep or I'm going to be a cranky, sluggish, miserable person who is dragging his feet and fighting to keep his eyes open until about lunchtime.

The supplement was developed with business travelers and shift workers in mind; if you need to rapidly change your sleep schedule, beat jet lag or adjust to a new timezone - melatonin works very well.

I'm not sure if it can be habit forming or not, but I never take more than I need or for a longer duration than is necessary. I do get very intense dreams with images that persist in the morning.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 AM

574 posts, read 1,065,845 times
Not all sleep aids, even natural ones, mix well with other medications. For instance, if you are taking anti depressants, some natural sleep aids like melatonin don't necessarily go well together. Taking Kava Kava isn't a good idea either. I have had sleep issues forever but never as bad as the last few years along with menopause. I have found melantonin doesn't work all night and makes me have to get up to go the bathroom more than once during the night. One Benadryl usually works for me. Was suggested by my Dr. instead of taking Ambien. Two would make me jumpy. Same with any PM pills. Perfect mix for me is Lorazapam .1mg and a Benadryl. Would not presume to tell anyone to do this without talking to your Dr. first. Being sleep deprived can cause many negative issues for your health.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,274,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Not all sleep aids, even natural ones, mix well with other medications. For instance, if you are taking anti depressants, some natural sleep aids like melatonin don't necessarily go well together. Taking Kava Kava isn't a good idea either. I have had sleep issues forever but never as bad as the last few years along with menopause. I have found melantonin doesn't work all night and makes me have to get up to go the bathroom more than once during the night. One Benadryl usually works for me. Was suggested by my Dr. instead of taking Ambien. Two would make me jumpy. Same with any PM pills. Perfect mix for me is Lorazapam .1mg and a Benadryl. Would not presume to tell anyone to do this without talking to your Dr. first. Being sleep deprived can cause many negative issues for your health.
wow,I take Ativan 1 mg at night and have also taken Benadryl with it. Works like a charm! Also menopausal.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements