Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,173 times

Advertisements

David Mendosa article . . Myths about Coconut and MCT Oils
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
I have a friend that is taking Coconut oil She said it is good for the brain. Have you heard of this? Does it have other benifits.
MANY!!

Quote:
Coconut Oil Is
  • Anti-bacterial (kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum diseases, and other bacterial infections)
  • Anti-carcinogenic (coconut oil has antimicrobial properties so it effectively prevents the spread of cancer cells and enhances the immune system)
  • Anti-fungal (kills fungi and yeast that lead to infection)
  • Anti-inflammatory (appears to have a direct effect in suppressing inflammation and repairing tissue, and it may also contribute by inhibiting harmful intestinal microorganisms that cause chronic inflammation.)
  • Anti-microbial/Infection Fighting (the medium-chain fatty acids and monoglycerides found in coconut oil are the same as those in human mother’s milk, and they have extraordinary antimicrobial properties. By disrupting the lipid structures of microbes, they inactivate them. About half of coconut oil consists of lauric acid. Lauric acid, its metabolite monolaurin and other fatty acids in coconut oil are known to protect against infection from bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi and parasites. While not having any negative effect on beneficial gut bacteria, coconut oil inactivates undesirable microbes.)
  • An Antioxidant (protects against free-radical formation and damage)
  • Anti-parasitic (fights to rid the body of tapeworms, lice and other parasites)
  • Anti-protozoa (kills giardia, a common protozoan infection of the gut)
  • Anti-retroviral (kills HIV and HLTV-1)
  • Anti-viral (kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other viruses)
  • Infection fighting
  • Has no harmful for discomforting side effects
  • Known to improve nutrient absorption (easily digestible; makes vitamins and minerals more available to the body)
  • Nontoxic to humans and animals

Daily Dosage:
Here is a chart outlining the recommended daily dosage of virgin coconut oil for persons over the age of 12. Coconut oil may be consumed by children under 12 but it is advisable to check with a healthcare practitioner on the proper dosage. Any good naturopath will have the information at the ready.

Weight in pounds/kilograms...........number of tablespoons of coconut oil daily

175+/79+........................................4
150+ /68+.......................................3 1/2
125+ / 57+......................................3
100+/ 45+.......................................2 1/2
75+ / 34+........................................2
50+ / 23+........................................1 1/2
25+ / 11+........................................1
Read more

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/02/1...or-coconut-oil

Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have a friend that is taking Coconut oil She said it is good for the brain. Have you heard of this? Does it have other benifits. I am just interested in it and would like to gather info about it before I buy it Thanks!
Supposedly by helping to produce Ketones which some researchers believe ''could'' help fuel the brain. I love coconut oil so much that i even rub it all over my skin and face whenever i'm out in the sun (no suntan lotion for me) and if you lift weights it really enhances the muscles as well

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM

467 posts, read 665,049 times
Coconut oil is a saturated fat which is good for health in general. Polyunsaturated fats are the cause of all degenerative diseases including Alzheimer's.
Good article:
Coconut Oil

Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Yes that leads me to believe that ALL SATURATED FAT is good for you... (I wouldnt be surprised..... They have been trying to get that removed from things)

Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes that leads me to believe that ALL SATURATED FAT is good for you... (I wouldnt be surprised..... They have been trying to get that removed from things)
Yes they have been selling us on lowfat for years and then they took our butterfat and sold it overseas to those who would appreciate it. LOL ONly kidding a little bit.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Since I started taking it, my skin has become more soft and smooth and my acne disappeared.

I also notices that it gives me energy out of this world.

I take organic coconut oil and drink it straight.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM

326 posts, read 704,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Taking piracetam is more useful. Not expensive on Amazon.
I don't know if recommending something that has very little research behind it is a good idea. Some evidence exist for maybe a short term benefit - but definitely nothing on the long term effects of this compound...!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

I take organic coconut oil and drink it straight.
Yeap same here as i'll swallow two tbsp's at a time several times a time as i swear by coconut oil's anti aging properties .

Old 07-07-2012, 03:52 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times
I love VCO (virgin c.o.)! I'm using "Nutiva" again, which tastes great. I use it for cooking and whenever I can remember I take straight from a spoon. I also add it to hair conditioners, use it on dry, itchy or irritated skin (and private parts too). Last year I had a chance to help a very allergic 3 y.o. who cried every time her mother or grandmother put the awful prescription goop on her body, she complained it burned, so I handed some VCO of it to the grandma and ask her to try it and the itching and crying stopped so the mom went and bought a jar of it. Also, one day during the winter a friend who came to visit was complaining of chapped lips so I let her rub a little bit on her lips and she experienced immediate relief. Because it's anti-fungal it can eliminate most cases of dandruff, all one has to do is rub it on the scalp at bedtime, cover the head (so it won't stain the pillow), then wash it off after waking up with a mild (sulfate-free) shampoo or preferably with a silicone-free conditioner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements