Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM

67 posts, read 436,819 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but rather just adding to this pretty recent thread.

Based on some recommendations here, I've jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon. Mostly for using externally to replace my usual dry skin efforts of slathering on various lotions.

I purchased the Nutiva organic coconut oil (arrived about 5 days ago), and bought the book Coconut Oil Miracle. I wanted the health benefits by taking it internally too.

Okay, now I've used it as a body lotion with good results so far (I've only used it a few times). But when I use it on my face, it burns around my mouth and eyes. I try not to get it on the inner eyelid. Several hours later, my eyes will still burn, even after being quite careful.

When I take the coconut oil directly out of the jar and eat it (anywhere from 1 teaspoon, to a tablespoon) the inside of my mouth and throat, and gums will burn and feel like I have canker sores, and this will last for at least overnight. Tongue becomes quite sore, and feels like I've scratched it with sandpaper.

I've used it to cook popcorn, and didn't notice burning. I've sauteed yellow squash in about a tablespoon, with no noticible burning.

This morning, I tried a teaspoon in my already cooked hot bowl of oatmeal. Immedate burning.

I'm so disappointed. I've never had an allergy to coconut. I've eaten macaroons, Almond Joy, Mounds, and that sweetend flake stuff right out of the bag. No problems. I'm not allergic to tree nuts - I eat almonds, walnuts, etc.

I'm sorry this is so long. Has anyone else ever had these issues/symptoms when first starting coconut oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

50,416 posts, read 64,161,814 times
Wow, I thought it was totally inert. Is the stuff you bought, 100% coconut oil or does it have some other ingredients?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, I thought it was totally inert. Is the stuff you bought, 100% coconut oil or does it have some other ingredients?
Inert. I was hoping so. But this wasn't a 'one off' type of symptoms. I've been playing with this stuff since I got it.

It's organic extra-virgin coconut oil from Nutiva. It has a expiration date almost two years from now.

I know that I'm not allergic to nuts, as I can eat them freely now. But my mother has old home movies of me as a toddler where my eyes are all swollen, and she said that my sister 'fed me walnuts'. But I've never experienced any symptoms.

The only burning sensation that I get around the outside of my mouth is if I handle latex. I think that I might be sensitive to the powder.

Other than that, I'm baffled...

I want to use this coconut oil for its health benefits. But my Google search are not yielding much as far as symptoms.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,793,576 times
I'm currently using Trader Joes brand of coconut oil and I'm not having any of the issues that you're stating, but I'm also not noticing any improvements or benefits as yet. I don't blame the oil though as I know that I have to be consistent and change other dietary issues also (imho).

Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM

910 posts, read 2,296,457 times
Although rare, I have heard that a few people don't react well to VCO, it's probably one of the compounds present in it, which are probably deactivated when the oil is cooked/processed, what you're reacting to. Perhaps you should join a coconut oil group and post the question there as they may have more info, let me know if you're interested and I'll give you a link.

I myself began taking it for my thyroid, and at first it did seem to raise my temperature but I do have to confess that it didn't give me any other real benefits, it may be because it's not indicated as beneficial for my blood type (O), still, I've kept buying it because I like the taste and to use on my skin and hair, usually not straight but mixed in a lotion or conditioner, I only use it straight when I have an itch or on my elbows and knees, but since my face is rather oily I do not put it there.

P.S. I just did a search for "bad reaction to virgin coconut oil" and a lot of stuff came up, so try that, maybe you'll get a more specific answer.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 PM

37,183 posts, read 41,377,016 times
There may be a relationship between your latex allergy and coconut.

Coconut - Phadia - Setting the Standard - Phadia.com

The sample of people studied was small, and only one person demonstrated allergy to both latex and coconut.

The other possibility is that the oil has come into contact with latex at some point in the processing. Coconut oil dissolves latex. If you are very sensitive to latex, even tiny amounts in the oil might cause you to react.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Suzy_Q; thank you for the link. Pretty interesting stuff.

I've basically stopped ingesting the coconut oil. I have a call into my doctor to see if I should be tested for an allergy, I feel somewhat silly in doing so. You know... "Doctor, it hurts when I do that"... "Well, then stop doing that". But if I indeed have an allergy, then I'd want to know about it.

I've been trying to do research all week long on everything from 'medium-chain triglycerides' to 'coconut oil benefits'; coconut oil allergies; coconut oil sensitivity; etc. and honestly (and quite disapponted) I can't confirm that it's a good idea for me to take internally anyway - especially with high cholesterol, family history of heart disease, etc. I can only seem to find testimonials - and I was looking more for studies and science. I am hoping that I didn't get caught up in a 'snake oil' hype. I'm disappointed because I took it all week (with mouth burn and all) and I really think I felt more energitic and less lethargic. But I could be experiencing a placebo effect - or my body was just reacting to an increase in saturated fat.

As I said in an earlier post, I tried it by adding it in my already cooked oatmeal and I still had the bad burning (not from the heat of the oatmeal). So this week, I tried putting in the oatmeal and cooking it. The symptoms weren't as severe, but all week I did have slight burning of my tongue, gums, and itchy lips, and a mild respiratory problem (non productive cough).

I stopped ingesting it yesterday morning. Tongue less sore, but when I applied some coconut oil on my hands, I must have gotten some near my mouth or something as I started to get a tingly tongue and itchy mouth.

I wonder though... I can rub it on my skin (so far). I've not seen any rashes. It's only when I get it near my face, mouth, eyes, and ingest it.

Allergy? Is it worth me finding out? I know that I can absorb it some though my skin, so I wonder if I should worry whether I do have an allergy. I just have a feeling that when I called my doctor to ask if I should have it checked out, they thought I was just whining. I felt that it was a silly request. I was greeted with "You're taking WHAT?" "You're doing WHAT?"

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I'll keep searching too.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:30 PM

37,183 posts, read 41,377,016 times
inthewoods ~

Whatever health benefits there may be to using coconut oil are probably trivial in the overall scheme of things.

It may not even be worth the time and cost of testing for an allergy. You already know that you appear to tolerate it poorly, whether you have a true allergy or not.

The best approach may be to check labels for coconut oil and just "stop doing that."

Old 08-18-2012, 04:16 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,103,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
inthewoods ~

Whatever health benefits there may be to using coconut oil are probably trivial in the overall scheme of things.

It may not even be worth the time and cost of testing for an allergy. You already know that you appear to tolerate it poorly, whether you have a true allergy or not.

The best approach may be to check labels for coconut oil and just "stop doing that."
I agree..

Inthewoods you mentioned 'a mild cough' and that concerns me. I used to get a mild cough after eating out at restaurants and sometimes at home but I never paid attention to it really. Then one day I was eating dinner at home and I got that cough again, and then I couldn't breathe at all. No congestion. It was like my lungs or my bronchial tubes were closed completely. I ended up in the hospital, and seriously, I thought I was going to die. I had warning symptoms before I ended up in the ER too, the cough, my nose will feel itchy, my ears sometimes felt itchy. My throat will burn sometimes.

Your body is trying to tell you something. Please listen to it.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:36 PM

292 posts, read 934,781 times
I bought some of the Nutiva Extra Virgin coconut oil and tried it as well. I loved the taste of it...used it for many things and began using it internally...but...my hair started to fall out! So I quit!
Then read again how good the stuff was and bought some more...with the same results! Gobs of hair falling out!
I kept some in a small container and used the rest for frying til it was gone.
Of late...I had developed a rash on the underside of my arm from scratching there after touching some kind of weeds or something...the rash JUST would NOT go AWAY!!!! I tried cortisone cream, etc...it did NOT WORK. Then I remembered that little dab of coconut oil I had squirrled away...and started to use it on that rash....lo and behold...after the very first try...the next day it was a whole lot better!
I am blood type O...but am now wondering....would it be better in smaller quantities??? a less is more approach? I put the rest of the hoarded coconut oil on my heels and am now thinking I want to get some more for beauty treatments...hmmmm...thinking I will....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements