Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 113,360 times

Advertisements

Do prenatal pills help you gain weight even if your not pregnant? Because it helps alot of women who are pregnant, and I know it also helps with hair and nails, it may even help if your tryin to have a baby, but what about the weight gain?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieWorld View Post
Do prenatal pills help you gain weight even if your not pregnant? Because it helps alot of women who are pregnant, and I know it also helps with hair and nails, it may even help if your tryin to have a baby, but what about the weight gain?
I have never heard about prenatals helping with weight gain. The only reason they may aid in weight gain is because high levels of some forms of iron and calcium can cause women to become constipated, which can result in pounds gained and a bloated feeling. Pregnant women often become constipated with high levels of progesterone anyway, and pretnatals can make it worse.

I was unable to take regular prenatals due to the iron. Iron free versions had calcium carbomate in them which had the same digestive-slowing effect as iron for me. Right now I'm on a prescription prenatal called Trimesis which basically just contains calcium and folic acid. I am iron sufficient, so this is adequate.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_deborahl View Post
Is it ok to take Alive while pregnant?
I love the Alive brand of whole food multi. I was told by my naturopath to stay away from any multi that was high in Vitamin A during pregnancy. Definitely check the label.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 113,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I have never heard about prenatals helping with weight gain. The only reason they may aid in weight gain is because high levels of some forms of iron and calcium can cause women to become constipated, which can result in pounds gained and a bloated feeling. Pregnant women often become constipated with high levels of progesterone anyway, and pretnatals can make it worse.

I was unable to take regular prenatals due to the iron. Iron free versions had calcium carbomate in them which had the same digestive-slowing effect as iron for me. Right now I'm on a prescription prenatal called Trimesis which basically just contains calcium and folic acid. I am iron sufficient, so this is adequate.
Okay thanks so much for the info, I just need to find a pill to help gain and maintain healthy weight, do u happen to know of any pills that help gain weight?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM

65 posts, read 218,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I love the Alive brand of whole food multi. I was told by my naturopath to stay away from any multi that was high in Vitamin A during pregnancy. Definitely check the label.

same here.i take the alive iron free v-caps and they seem to work really well.

i've tried a lot of fish oils too and nordic naturals were the only ones i took that did me good and the only ones where i was free of burps.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEH2010 View Post
same here.i take the alive iron free v-caps and they seem to work really well.

i've tried a lot of fish oils too and nordic naturals were the only ones i took that did me good and the only ones where i was free of burps.
I love the ALive and the energy it gives. I think I may switch back to them for awhile. I'm on prenatals but recently miscarried and won't be pregnant again soon so I may switch back to my ol' favorites. They make me happy.

I agree on the nordic naturals too. I actually get liquid fish oil from my doc and I love it. Most of the time I just eat a teaspoon of it straight, but I'll also mix it in smoothies, or my oatmeal, etc. No burping and very little fishy flavor at all (but I love fish anyway).

Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Okay thanks so much for the info, I just need to find a pill to help gain and maintain healthy weight, do u happen to know of any pills that help gain weight?
I've never heard of a pill doing this, but I have heard of shake powder designed to help people bulk up. Check out GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. Add lots of peanut or almond butter and a banana to the shake daily for extra fat and calories. Yummy!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
Quote:
I would look more at food for weight gain.

Yes, make sure you are getting the proper vitamins and minerals, but for the weight gain you need to look at your calorie intake.

Eat more often - I have a child who needs to gain weight and he eats two dinners. He gets whole milk, high fat dairy, etc....Nuts are calorie dense as well - carry around little baggies of pecans, cashews, walnuts, almonds... If you like peanut butter, its a good snack that is calorie dense.

When my mom had to gain weight for chemo, she had high fat dairy as an essential part of her diet - whole milk yogurt, butter, breve lattes (this is hot coffee mixed with hot half and half), etc...

If you are ok with it (some people don't want the extra sugar, etc...), Carnation instant breakfast mixed into whole milk is a good fast calorie boost.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
Hi everyone! While I was shopping for my neice today, the lady who owns the baby store complimented me on my hair. I immediately replied - ugh, yuck and thank you. I know, nice of me right? I have awful "fine" hair and I don't particularly care for the cut I have right now either. She said I should take prenatal vitamins because she had hair just like mine and now, no kidding, she has a head full of beautiful thick, long hair. Just what I've ALWAYS wanted. She said her prenatal vitamins did it in just 10 months.

Is there anyone who has taken the vitamins for hair, nails, etc. and seen positive results or was she just unusually lucky with her vitamins? I'm pretty sure actually taking the pills are okay because any extra vitamins, I'll just, well you know - tinkle out. (: If you have a favorite brand, I'd like to know that too. Any info at all is very much appreciated!

Thank you!
There is nothing magical about pre-natal vitamins. You can purchase good quality vitamins at any health food store. Find one that has a knowledgeable staff and they should be able to assist you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 68,657 times
i have been taking prenatal and biotin, i can already see hair growth, and nail improvement. biotin is safe foe men and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements