Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 PM

643 posts, read 2,055,862 times

Advertisements

My husband was/is really into vitamins and supplements and .. well, I guess just general wellness.

He's always told me that the cilia in your intestines (the little bits that absorb the goodies you ingest) are broken into groups. Certain cilia with absorb, for example, vitamins A and B. But they can only absorb one at a time. So, it's either A or B, not both. That means all of one or the other vitamin is passing through your system (dependent on fat or water solubility).

Because of this, it's best to get vitamins separate instead of the ever-convenient multi-vitamin. Then you can take your A today, B tomorrow, ect to make sure you're getting the most of it. So, regardless if it's a regular multi-vitamin or a prenatal, this might be something to consider if you're worried you're not getting enough.

That's about all I know - I can't link to anything concrete, just hearsay.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,303,262 times
I'v noticed better nails and more energy just with a B vitamin supplement.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:44 PM

264 posts, read 820,130 times
Physicians often prescribe prenatal vitamins to both men and women who are not pregnant, and the variety that you can get over the counter are not much different from one-a-day type vitamins, so my opinion, as a pharmacist, is that you are fine to take these. Also, in women who are planning to become pregnant, prenatal vitamins are often prescribed to ensure that the women is getting enough folic acid to prevent neural tube defects (i.e. spina bifida). Please note, however, if you have any kidney or liver problems this can change the way your body eliminates drugs, vitamins, and herbs, making it essential that you only take these supplements under the advisement of your physician. The "you just pee out the extra" rule, btw. is true to an extent with the water soluble vitamins (all but a,d,e, and k) but there are limits to what your body can safely process, so you can still overdose on them, although it would take a lot to do that.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,231,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
Physicians often prescribe prenatal vitamins to both men and women who are not pregnant, and the variety that you can get over the counter are not much different from one-a-day type vitamins, so my opinion, as a pharmacist, is that you are fine to take these. Also, in women who are planning to become pregnant, prenatal vitamins are often prescribed to ensure that the women is getting enough folic acid to prevent neural tube defects (i.e. spina bifida). Please note, however, if you have any kidney or liver problems this can change the way your body eliminates drugs, vitamins, and herbs, making it essential that you only take these supplements under the advisement of your physician. The "you just pee out the extra" rule, btw. is true to an extent with the water soluble vitamins (all but a,d,e, and k) but there are limits to what your body can safely process, so you can still overdose on them, although it would take a lot to do that.

The A D K and E in vitamins are hardly EVER dangerous.

If you are taking a prenatal it is usually the A is in the form of Beta Carotene NOT Palmitate which is the toxic one. You can eat all the BC you want. Palmitate comes from fish oils like cod liver.

With the D is it also FAR from a toxic amount. Usually they have the small amount of 400IU. You would need AT LEAST 100x that amount for months to overdose.

They are safe. Eat some raw veggies and fruits and low mercury fish and organic grass fed beef and chicken and kiefer and beans and lentils and nuts and seeds and you will get all the vitamins you need!

Vitmamins are NOT for long term daily use. Even when pregnant they are not necessary everyday unless your diet is horid.

Vit

Old 08-18-2009, 07:55 PM

264 posts, read 820,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
The A D K and E in vitamins are hardly EVER dangerous.

If you are taking a prenatal it is usually the A is in the form of Beta Carotene NOT Palmitate which is the toxic one. You can eat all the BC you want. Palmitate comes from fish oils like cod liver.

With the D is it also FAR from a toxic amount. Usually they have the small amount of 400IU. You would need AT LEAST 100x that amount for months to overdose.

They are safe. Eat some raw veggies and fruits and low mercury fish and organic grass fed beef and chicken and kiefer and beans and lentils and nuts and seeds and you will get all the vitamins you need!

Vitmamins are NOT for long term daily use. Even when pregnant they are not necessary everyday unless your diet is horid.

Vit

I'm not sure where this information is coming from, but I respectfully disagree. The American Medical Associaton has indeed recommended that all adults take a multivitamin daily.

(just one source): Vitamins for Chronic Disease Prevention in Adults," by Kathleen M. Fairfield, MD, DrPH; Robert H. Fletcher, MD, MSc, JAMA 2002, 287:3116-3126

Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,231,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
I'm not sure where this information is coming from, but I respectfully disagree. The American Medical Associaton has indeed recommended that all adults take a multivitamin daily.

(just one source): Vitamins for Chronic Disease Prevention in Adults," by Kathleen M. Fairfield, MD, DrPH; Robert H. Fletcher, MD, MSc, JAMA 2002, 287:3116-3126

You may find information like that in places, however from the research and schooling and my work exprerience I have found the opposite. IF you eat a balanced ORGANIC/NATURAL diet and large quantities of raw foods and good fats, you do NOT need a "multivitamin."

You are paying for expensive urine most of the time. The best thing to do is understand the foods you eat and the vitamins and minerals in each and figure out which INDIVIDUAL vitamins you need.

The vitamins you buy in a store are not raw and mostly synthetic. And only around 15-20% of the actual supplement is obsorbed in the body. The rest is peed out unfortunately.

Like I said, if you eat at all you still don't need ALL a multivitamin has to offer. Most people need some extra of a FEW vitamins.

Even my daughter's ped (who loves his drugs ) told me to get my daughter some Polyvisol. I asked her "why, she eats well, why does she need extra A and this and that." Her reply was that is was mainly for the Vitamin D but it's hard to find D alone. How silly an answer because you can buy D drops at any store that isn't Walmart.

First and foremost DIET is important. Then individual supplementation. And if you DO use a multi, RAW is best. The Vitamin Code is one I recommend most often. My family uses it ever other day rather than daily along with some extra D (Cod Liver oil with D added and naturally occuring Vitamin A) and some Probiotics. Occasionally we take some B12 because of our preferred diet.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 17,827 times
do u gain weight with taking prenatal pills?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM

50,400 posts, read 64,119,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christabelmusonda View Post
am planing to get pregnant next month, is it okey for me to start taking prenatal vitamins? some one help me understand.
Check with your doctor about taking zinc. I understand it's very important not to be deficient in zinc when you become pregnant in order to avoid certain birth defects.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,706,974 times
I know this is old but prenatal vitamins simply have more folic acid. They are not toxic and only made for two people etc.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:56 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,284,539 times
Vitamin A is certainly toxic no matter the source if you eat too much. Don't od on vitamins. More is NEVER better. The correct amount is what you should shoot for and those pills are far too high unless you have a deficiency or are pregnant. Pregnant womens' nutritional needs are totally different than normal. And if you took these vitamins BEFORE getting pregnant and then got pregnant its not the same thing as the everyday Jane who does not follow up intake with a pregancy. Having a baby sucks nutrients out of your body. It actually thins your bones a bit with each kid.

Use this calculator as an example to see the different needs for you body if you are not having a kid or breastfeeding vs. being a momma.

NutritionData BMI & Calories Burned Calculator

Almost all the nutrient needs increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements