Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Is there any health benefits to drinking Cranberry juice? I bought a couple of bottles of it and noticed the extremely high sugar content (35gr per 8 ounces!)

I really like cranberry juice, but it has more sugar than Coke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
good for treating UTI's. A much better alternative is Acai juice.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 45,988 times
Cranberry is good for the kidneys, bladder and skin. It's a good source of vitamiin C. It has been found to have some anticancer properties. It is helpful for UTI's because it acidifies urine and prevents bacteria from adhering to bladder cells- but it is better when combined with Uva Ursi. The BIG problem is - you can't get any benefit from typical cranberry juice because of the high sugar content. You'll have to resort to organic pure juice -which can be bitter - or tablets. I noticed that Acai juice was recommended - but that doesn't replace the benefits of cranberry as far as UTI's. Acai Juice is a very good anitoxidant. It has been found to increase anitoxidant levels in the blood by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition - but then that same Journal recognizes grape juice to raise blood anitoxidant levels just as well. But it is not the juice, rather the whole berry that is of best use. The acai berry, itself, is an outstanding antioxidant. It however, does not prevent bacteria from adhering to bladder cells, so it can't be depended upon for treating UTI's. The problems with "super" juices are usually too much sugar, and too diluted with apple, grape and pear juice, along with an assortment of other stuff.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindajcook View Post
Cranberry is good for the kidneys, bladder and skin. It's a good source of vitamiin C. It has been found to have some anticancer properties. It is helpful for UTI's because it acidifies urine and prevents bacteria from adhering to bladder cells- but it is better when combined with Uva Ursi. The BIG problem is - you can't get any benefit from typical cranberry juice because of the high sugar content. You'll have to resort to organic pure juice -which can be bitter - or tablets. I noticed that Acai juice was recommended - but that doesn't replace the benefits of cranberry as far as UTI's. Acai Juice is a very good anitoxidant. It has been found to increase anitoxidant levels in the blood by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition - but then that same Journal recognizes grape juice to raise blood anitoxidant levels just as well. But it is not the juice, rather the whole berry that is of best use. The acai berry, itself, is an outstanding antioxidant. It however, does not prevent bacteria from adhering to bladder cells, so it can't be depended upon for treating UTI's. The problems with "super" juices are usually too much sugar, and too diluted with apple, grape and pear juice, along with an assortment of other stuff.
Does anyone sell "pure" cranberry juice?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Hi there,

Is there any health benefits to drinking Cranberry juice? I bought a couple of bottles of it and noticed the extremely high sugar content (35gr per 8 ounces!)

I really like cranberry juice, but it has more sugar than Coke!
YES! It's great to help keep way bladder and kidney infections. Try the diet, I like it better and it's not as tart.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
I drink it every now and then when my kidneys hurt a little, which is usually the result of drinking too many sodas. It flushes the kidneys out.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
I think you only get the benefits from pure cranberry juice, sold at the health food store. Even the stuff that says 100% juice is only 27% cranberry juice... read the label, it's mostly apple and pear juice.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I have tried cranberry juice and can not stand the taste of any of it.. EUCK! Worse than any medicine I ever took...

I did a sheet on all the "drinks" we offer at work. Cool ade, gator ade, orange juice, tea and everything drinkable I have for my crew at work to drink. I was completely shocked at how much worse the juices were for sugar and calories. The gator ade came out the best of them all for sugar and calories. They drink the cranberry juice by the bottle! One guy, one bottle at one sitting.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 AM
San

54 posts, read 430,414 times
Yes. Cranberry juice is VERY healthful and there was a study done at Rutgers University that indicated it was good for weakening cancer cells. However, you need to have pure cranberry juice. Even if you buy a brand name cranberry juice in the stores, you will find that it has very little cranberry juice and is mostly pear juice and loaded with sugar or corn syrup. I have just come through chemo therapy and have been drinking pure cranberry juice from the start. My results were great! We live in a rural area so my husband special orders bottles of the pure concentrate. It has to be cut with water but one bottle of the concentrate lasts quite a while. I drink 8 ounces daily. I usually put in a little Splenda or Sweet n' Low to make it a bit less rough. Cranberry juice is also very beneficial to the urinary tract and kidneys. As I said, though the pure stuff can get rough unless you put some fake sugar in it. Most of the bottled stuff you get at the store is a mix and won't do you much good.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San View Post
Yes. Cranberry juice is VERY healthful and there was a study done at Rutgers University that indicated it was good for weakening cancer cells. However, you need to have pure cranberry juice. Even if you buy a brand name cranberry juice in the stores, you will find that it has very little cranberry juice and is mostly pear juice and loaded with sugar or corn syrup. I have just come through chemo therapy and have been drinking pure cranberry juice from the start. My results were great! We live in a rural area so my husband special orders bottles of the pure concentrate. It has to be cut with water but one bottle of the concentrate lasts quite a while. I drink 8 ounces daily. I usually put in a little Splenda or Sweet n' Low to make it a bit less rough. Cranberry juice is also very beneficial to the urinary tract and kidneys. As I said, though the pure stuff can get rough unless you put some fake sugar in it. Most of the bottled stuff you get at the store is a mix and won't do you much good.

How does one obtain pure cranberry juice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements