Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:35 PM

33 posts, read 47,025 times

Advertisements

I have a Nook and I love it. I am not certain what technical problems that you are referring to as I have never had an issue with mine. I also like to support the brick and mortar stores when I can and did a lot of research before I decided on the Nook over the Kindle. With that being said, however, I purchased my Nook before B & N announced that they were having financial trouble. I am not certain that I would have made the same decision with that knowlege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,290,143 times
I have a Kindle 3 - the $139 wifi-only version - and it's been flawless since I got it in August. The e-ink screen is a true joy to read - your eyes simply don't fatigue the way they do when trying to read a backlit screen like a notebook computer.

Color e-ink is coming in the next year or so, but 99.99% of all the books I've ever read come in black and white - only the cover art has color. The color e-ink will be great for newspapers and magazine subscriptions, but I got my Kindle primarily for books and I know I'll get full use out of it for the next 12-18 months before possibly changing over to a color version.

The color Nook is fine, but once you're talking about a color backlit screen, you might as well go "all the way" and get an iPad instead. And of course, with color backlit screens you also get heavier weight and shorter battery life. My Kindle easily goes a month without having to recharge - just remember to turn wireless off when you're not browsing the Kindle store or downloading new stuff.

For the task it's designed for - reading books - the Kindle is an amazing tool.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,230,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
I have an iPad and an original kindle. For reading, nothing beats e-Ink. I can't stand to read a book on the iPad
Exactly. Look at people at airports, people with Kindles will actually sit with their back against a terminal window to enjoy natural light, people with iPads and laptops are facing the opposite way so they don't have the glare.

If your main purpose is reading I'd go with a Kindle every time over an iPad. It is far easier on the eyes.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,892,125 times
Forgive me if this is an elementary question, but I just received a Kindle, had no problem registering it, etc. I have used Amazon for a decade so I already had an account.

The biggest worry to me is--I have no found a way to "log it off"! I turn it off all night, then the next morning I turn it on and I am logged in. This worries me greatly since if I lost it, someone could order things like crazy, right to my credit card. There HAS to be a way to set up a password-protected login, but I am at someone else's house with limited access to anything other than the basic guide that comes with it. Can someone please help?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 PM

58 posts, read 135,829 times
I don't believe there is a way to password protect.

If your kindle is lost or stolen, you can call Amazon and they will tell you how to disable your kindle from your account and refund any purchases made by the unauthorized user.

Keep in mind that with each book purchase, you will receive an email notification. If you purchase a book by mistake you can get in touch with Amazon within 7 days and have them refund your purchase and pull the book off your kindle.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:47 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,444,673 times
I decided on the regular Nook over the Kindle, primarily because I wanted to be able to borrow e-books from my library. Being married to Amazon made me uncomfortable; the Nook uses an open e-book format and you can get e-books from anywhere.

I love it. No technical problems and it's a much easier transition to e-books than I thought it would be. Love, love, love it.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,857,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm in considering buying an e-reader. I've been going back and fourth between the Nook and the Kindle. They both have great features. It seems like the nook has more features than the Kindle, but it also seems like it has more problems with their applications.

So...What do you have, or what have you heard? Do you suggest the Kindle or the Nook?

Thank you in advance.
I have the Nook, my father has the kindle. I believe the Nook to be the superior product when all things are considered, although they essentially do exactly the same job and you are likely to be perfectly happy with either. The price is probably your least subjective measure between the two systems.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,598,947 times
1) The iPad is never the answer. If you need the features of an iPad, you're better served buying a netbook
2) I have a color Nook, but my needs are somewhat unique. Since I read a lot of technical books that are laden with diagrams, I need to be able to see the colors of the lines and devices that Cisco etc. uses in their books. The Kindle is an absolutely wonderful device if you're after an e-reader that just does regular books, though.
3) One of the other reasons I chose the Nook is because it's open source, meaning it can be hacked. My nook runs apps and custom browsers, etc. and even has some game emulators on it. The Kindle is pretty heavily locked down.
4) Book publishers prefer B&N's pricing structure. On that same token, they're damn near ready to riot over Amazon's. This is important to me. B&N is a target for a potential buyout, but the concept that brick and mortar booksellers are going to disappear anytime soon is pretty ludicrous. Different owners, yes. Non-existent? No.
5) The other thing that I liked about the Nook is that it's better at reading .pdf files.
6) In the Kindle's favor is a much faster processor and a much sleeker interface. These are huge selling points, but my unique needs resulted in the Nook winning out in my instance.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 16,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm in considering buying an e-reader. I've been going back and fourth between the Nook and the Kindle. They both have great features. It seems like the nook has more features than the Kindle, but it also seems like it has more problems with their applications.

So...What do you have, or what have you heard? Do you suggest the Kindle or the Nook?

Thank you in advance.
To me, the important requirements for an e-reader is long battery life, easy to read, and access to books. In terms of battery life, Kindle wins hand down simply because it doesn't waste energy constantly powering the backlight. Both the older Nooks and Kindles are awesome to read with their e-ink. I feel the new color Nook really lost out on that. However, Kindle doesn't have the ePub that Nook does, but that has not limited me. I have so much to read and sometimes I use PDF's from classnotes. I truly love my Kindle as a e-reader!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,332,501 times
kindle. no interest in reading books on an lcd screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets