Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,600,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Hmmm.

Given that:
  • There are really only three major players in the desktop market today,
  • The #1 player is a convicted monopolist who has been largely allowed to continue its anti-competitive policies w/o sanction, and
  • The third player had to be developed largely outside of the marketplace because commercial competition in the x86 desktop market is simply not viable
I think Apple is not doing too badly. 10% is large enough to notice, and it is also as large as I think it has ever been.

It also seems to do very very well in the high-end desktop market:

NPD: 90% of $1,000+ PCs Sold in Fourth Quarter 2009 Were Macs - Mac Rumors
1) When Apple is important enough to where people start writing malicious code for Apple computers, they'll be large enough to notice. That day has not, and will not come.

2) It's easy for Apple to have such a large percentage of $1000+ machines when they overprice their machines to absolutely ridiculous rates, and pretty much every one of them is over $1000 to start, anyways. People who buy PC's over $1000 are gamers. People who buy Apples over $1000 are either graphic designers or sheeple who actually think the increased price tag buys them something "extra", be it making them more interesting as a person, more functionality, better performance, etc. All of which are false. In reality, their $2500 Mac is no better than a $750 machine from HP. The numbers also fail because a gamer isn't going to go out and spend a thousand dollars on a machine. They're going to spend a thousand dollars-plus on parts, and then build a machine, which won't be factored into that statistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,057,008 times
Apple's security makes it very difficult for a virus or malware to infect its system. But I still run a weekly virus check just incase. I was infected with an Autostart Worm back in the day (mid to late 1990's) that created havok on all apple systems.

With Apple's closed/vertical integration It is even more difficult on the iOS (ipod/iphone/ipad) for malware to load.

On the other hand my VERY technically savvy girlfriend's DroidX has already been infected with malware that could have stolen $10 a month from her Verizon account.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,860,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
1) When Apple is important enough to where people start writing malicious code for Apple computers, they'll be large enough to notice. That day has not, and will not come.
You're joking, right???

2 weeks ago:

Virus shows that mac os x is not invulnerable- The Inquirer

Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,074,441 times
Quote:

Bla, bla, bla, 10% is more then big enough to be a target. You PC fanbois were saying the same thing 10 years ago when the Mac market share was 3%. You will still be propagating this BS in another ten years when it hits 20% or 30%. The only thing these type of repetitious, ignorant, statements prove is that you are clueless about the history of Unix.

Quote:
2) It's easy for Apple to have such a large percentage of $1000+ machines when they overprice their machines to absolutely ridiculous rates, and pretty much every one of them is over $1000 to start, anyways. People who buy PC's over $1000 are gamers.
BS again. Sony VAIOs, Toshiba Portege, Dell XPSs, and many other top selling business laptops are over $1000, and they are not marketed to gamers.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why don't you get back to us on that when it effects Mac computer not owned by a security software marketer. Until then it just more propaganda to sell worthless software.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Manufacturers aren't important. Platforms are. So PC's have an 88% market share, Apple has 10%, and the various Linux variants have the scraps. That's not a big niche.
10 years ago Windows was 95%, and Macs were 3%. How high would Apple's market-share have to get before you no longer consider it i niche?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,298,341 times
Hrmm. I like the idea of tablets, but only as a redundancy. Meaning I'd use one (like the iPad) to read emails, or surf the web. If I didn't already have my iPhone, then maybe I'd get one.

Now, I could incorporate one into my music or live performances, but I think it'd be a gimmick. I mean a laptop isn't that much more inconvenient especially when you're already carrying around a bunch of gear.

So really I see tablets as, 1. A luxury, or 2. Something that people (like doctors) can use professionally in specific circumstances.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It is estimated that a new security threat (be it a virus, trojan, worm, logic bomb, etc.) is created every 10 minutes. And you're going to point to a couple that actually get coded for the Apple and say that puts them in the same boat? Give me a break. You know full well what I was talking about.

I never said Apples were more secure. I said that nobody bothers to make malicious code for Apples due to their pathetic market share. So you point to ONE virus? Oh whoop-dee-doo, ONE guy took the time to write out one for them. While the other 99.99999% of the code makers and exploiters out there completely ignore the platform due to it not being worth the trouble.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,284,935 times
Quote:
-For e-reading, Kindle and Nook are superior because they use e-ink that you can read anywhere. I had a lot of problems reading anything on the iPad out of doors or in bright-light environments, which is why I took some of the money I made from selling the iPad I won and bought myself an e-reader. E-Ink is also less strain on the eyes.
Unfortunately, it's a little difficult to read with an e-ink device in a darkened environment, unless one uses an external light of some sort, which is the flipside of the iPad's "outdoors, bright-light" problem.

In addition, most e-ink devices aren't very good when it comes to displaying magazines, newspapers, and PDFs. Lack of color and limited zooming abilities are a couple of the major issues. For extended text reading in a well-lit environment, e-ink devices are perfect; however, for other types of reading, the iPad and tablet computers have an advantage.

Quote:
-The iPad (or any tablet) is not a replacement for a PSP, because the iPad can only run casual type games. The games developed for the PSP are for gamers. The games developed for iPad are for people who are amused by sudoku and tic tac toe.
Electronic Arts (Madden 2011, FIFA 2011, Need for Speed, SimCity), Gameloft (Real Tennis, Real Golf, Brothers-in-Arms 2, etc.), Firemint (Real Racing, Flight Control), Rockstar Games (Grand Theft Auto), Laminar Research (X-Plane), and countless other iPad and iPhone game developers don't seem to know that.

The original PSP was a good portable game system. Unfortunately, the UMD format that it used for games and movies never really caught on. The relatively recent "PSP Go" was Sony's attempt to switch to a "download-only" game distribution method (like Apple's), but it's probably "too little, too late."

Quote:
-DigEplayers are offered free of charge (at least on my chosen airline - Alaska). And all things being equal, I'd rather have my laptop and an Energizer Energi To Go pack on a flight than a tablet that I have to hold up in an uncomfortable position for hours at a time on domestic flights, or just my laptop and inline power from the plane on international.
Unfortunately, digEplayers are only "free of charge" for passengers in first class on Alaska Airlines. Coach passengers on Alaska pay either $6 or $12 to rent a digEplayer depending on the flight and its availability.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air - Movies, Music, TV - digEplayer

My chosen airlines (Hawaiian Airlines) is phasing out digEplayers in favor of Panasonic's AVOD system on its new Airbus A330 planes. On Hawaiian's Boeing 767s that still have the digEplayer, it's provided "free of charge" for passengers in first class and $15 for passengers in coach.
Hawaiian Airlines: Digeplayer Entertainment System

As for using the iPad or tablet computer on a plane, there are stands (as well as cases that convert into stands), so one doesn't have to hold it up in an uncomfortable position for hours at a time.

Quote:
All this goes back to the central problem with the tablets. They can do a number of things, but they can't do any one thing better than another product and, on balance, the whole of what it can do can't equate other solutions. If the iPad/Android tablet was the best e-reader out there, I'd probably be OK with it. If it was the best portable internet device, or the best music player, or the best movie viewer or just...ANYTHING, it would be OK. But it's not. There's no real niche that it fills.
I agree. Tablets are "jacks of all trades" that are simply packaged in a somewhat convenient form factor. As a frequent traveler, carrying a single iPad is more convenient than carrying a e-Book reader, iPod, Sony PSP, netbook, and all of the assorted chargers and cables for them. And apparently, some folks are willing to make tradeoffs as well as pay for convenience.

Quote:
Which was borne out from my present company's failed pilot program. Nobody could really find something it did better than another solution, which is why they're all sitting in a storage room in the back of the datacenter collecting dust until their tax depreciation value is realized and they can be decommissioned. The only, and I mean ONLY time I've found it worthwhile to implement tablets as a solution was at a large metropolitan hospital, because there was one "killer app" that the doctors could use to pull up patient records, charts, X-rays etc. from the device wirelessly, thus increasing efficiency and reducing error potential. And that was not and could not have been an iPad solution due to the proprietary and closed nature of Apple devices, which would have made the app impossible to run on.
For most companies, the iPads and tablet computers are probably best as "executive toys", until the technology evolves a little more. Considering Apple's "product cycles", the "iPad 10" might be the one to consider for widespread corporate use.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:37 PM

[quote=KaaBoom;18185451]Bla, bla, bla, 10% is more then big enough to be a target. You PC fanbois were saying the same thing 10 years ago when the Mac market share was 3%. You will still be propagating this BS in another ten years when it hits 20% or 30%. The only thing these type of repetitious, ignorant, statements prove is that you are clueless about the history of Unix.[quote]

First, the odds of it hitting 20 or 30% are about as good as me hitting the lottery. Second, nobody has any idea what the computing platform landscape will look like in a decade. Face it, Macs are a niche market. Always have been since the late 80's, always will be. There is also the issue that this number doesn't reflect BUSINESS computers, only personal. If you add in business computers, guess what? Apple's market share drops back into the mid single digits.

Quote:

BS again. Sony VAIOs, Toshiba Portege, Dell XPSs, and many other top selling business laptops are over $1000, and they are not marketed to gamers.
Unfortunately for you, I wasn't talking about laptops, I was talking about desktops, as was the article in question. That article also pointed out it mostly counted sales from brick and mortar stores, not for manu-to-business sales, which is where the lion's share of purchases happen. There's also the issue that the average Vaio only costs about 700 dollars and that the only Toshiba line that averages over 1000 dollars is the Qosmio, which is a gaming laptop, as are the XPS's from Dell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets