Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,991,710 times

Advertisements

iPad definitely dominates the tablet market, and can be used for most applications that a desktop can. Main drawbacks are lack of USB port and does not support flash player. Great for travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,998,307 times
More U.S. adults own e-readers than tablets, Pew report says - latimes.com

Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,600,768 times
To be fair, the Kindle (and its various ilk) have been "massively available" longer than tablets. Yes, I know tablets have been around forever (I've got some in my garage that are at least 10 years old), but the cost-basis of them coupled with the lack of ease of availability was not like the tablets are now.

I'd also probably play devil's advocate here (even though it's no secret I'm not a "buyer" of the "tablet movement") that things like the Kindle are much cheaper than a Galaxy S Tablet, which attracts more buyers even though it is less functional. Much like the Nintendo Wii dominated over the PS3 in spite of it being a stripped down toy, comparatively speaking.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,306,354 times
My personal opinion is that dedicated eReaders will continue to dominate not only because of their [cheaper] pricing, but because they are designed to do one thing that people want them to do: display pages from books, magazines, newspapers, and the like. Tablets, as cool and functional as they can be, are really competing against other form factors that do the same thing for the most part. With tablets, it all comes down to Do you want another portable Internet device? I'm not much of an Apple fanboi these days, in fact I'm quite the opposite, but at least Apple had the foresight and "brains" to make the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad something different (although the only real difference between the iPod Touch and iPhone is that you can "legitimately" use the iPhone as a phone, and, the only real difference between the iPod Touch and iPad is the size of the screen and a few apps). The "experience" with using iOS and these devices is different enough from OSX to constitute a completely different user experience, and that is the point Apple has made. Much to their pocketbook's delight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I'd also probably play devil's advocate here (even though it's no secret I'm not a "buyer" of the "tablet movement") that things like the Kindle are much cheaper than a Galaxy S Tablet, which attracts more buyers even though it is less functional. Much like the Nintendo Wii dominated over the PS3 in spite of it being a stripped down toy, comparatively speaking.
Like I said, people buy the Kindle, Nook, and what-have-you because they are designed to do one thing: be used as a device to read [books, etc.]. Products that have a limited, but very specific, use tend to be more popular than "multi-functional" products. Look at the Swiss Army Knife. Sure, they were cool in the 80s, but nobody threw away their screwdrivers because of them. Same with Gerbers/Leathermens.

The Wii only dominated a certain market: Nintendo nerds, the younger crowd, and those who were stoked on the sensor-play capabilities. Most serious console gamers were, and are, on the XBox and PS3. And real serious gamers are one Windows-based computers.

Oh, and Wii also captured a huge audience with the Wii Fit.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,860,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

The Wii only dominated a certain market: Nintendo nerds, the younger crowd, and those who were stoked on the sensor-play capabilities. Most serious console gamers were, and are, on the XBox and PS3. And real serious gamers are one Windows-based computers.
You mean demographic. And you are missing a few.
My grandparents play Wii. My neighbors entire family has Wii game night once a week. Well, they used to.

It did dominate the console market. At one time it had as many sales as the PS3 and Xbox combined.
Agree "serious gamers" have PS3/Xbox. But Wii was a monster hit. Can't deny that.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,689,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You mean demographic. And you are missing a few.
My grandparents play Wii. My neighbors entire family has Wii game night once a week. Well, they used to.

It did dominate the console market. At one time it had as many sales as the PS3 and Xbox combined.
Agree "serious gamers" have PS3/Xbox. But Wii was a monster hit. Can't deny that.
I think that many "serious" gamers have a Wii as well.

We have two of them in the house, along with a 360, three gaming PCs, two current gen handhelds (and a bunch of older ones), all 3 last gen consoles, along with the other Nintendo consoles going back to the SNES (all purchased new and still functioning).

We also know quite a few other "serious" gamers that own a Wii along with 360/PS3's and/or gaming PCs.

As for the original discussion; my wife has a Kindle and for her uses it's far better than a tablet would ever be. It's readable in direct sunlight, and the battery lasts for ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets