Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,343,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I could see a tablet with enough power being very useful. Now we have a computer and wacom tablet, but why not have them combined.
Soon...from Adobe

YouTube - Photoshop CS5 Interaction with Tablet Devices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,731,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
The IPad2 would be pointless if Apple did the IPad right the first time. Seems like like to rush out products and leave them unfinished.
But then there'd be no need to release an IPAD 2, if the first one was perfect...give em just enough to whet the appetite for yearly updates. Seems to have worked....how many people dumped their perfectly functioning IPAD just to get IPAD2?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:48 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,964,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't get it either. For the most part its just one of those things people buy so they can say "look I have an iPad." I don't sit in restaurants and surf the internet while having lunch or dinner with others because that is just plain rude but some people seem to do it anyway. I guess for travel it might would be ok but a netbook would work just fine too. I know it has apps but who cares. Most of the apps just search the internet for you to find information you could have just found on your own. If you find yourself walking around with one checking your facebook constantly then its time for you to step back and start living life instead of reading and posting about everybody else's. Its just one of the silliest devices to me.

I hate touchscreen devices because I am also one of those that can't stand finger prints or smudges on my screen. I clean my regular screen all the time just to keep dust off because it even drives me nuts. I can't imagine having finger prints and smudges. lol

All of apple's stuff is way overpriced. They have some excellent video and audio editing software but other than that, windows based machines are much less expensive and do everything just as well and a lot of things better.

Now when the apple fanboys see this thread, all heck is going to break loose because we are knocking one of their toys. lol
The zagg protective screen for the IPAD is military grade and ther are no fingerprints OR scratches. I absolutely LOVE my IPAD 2, which is what I'm typing/surfing on now. I like it MUCH better than a net book or computer.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 AM

119 posts, read 293,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
from knowing a few owners, Its at the surface a surfing and watching device. Really slick and fun. But after playing with the Motorola Xoom, I have to say that thing has serious potential as something far more. Definitely a fan. Will be interesting to see what the Windows Metro environment will do with their tab. Definitely the most underrated and slick of the smaller device OSs. I know most don't give their phones a chance, but its a really slick environment. Would be great for a tablet.
I own 2 xooms and you are right! The xoom is far more useful than the i thingy. Take a look at the way I use my xoom when traveling- and here-

Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 AM

34,314 posts, read 20,607,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
He was probably showing it off It's actually a status symbol and nothing more, like the folks who wear their jewels and the like.

Otherwise, those who seriously "browse" for a long time on an iPad, while stationary at a desk or something, are distilled idiots. Get a laptop for Pete's sake

My iPad comes in handy when I'm in transit, on the train, in between flights when I don't have to "boot" a computer up. Otherwise, it's pretty useless and overpriced. It's worth 200 bucks and that should be it. The days of the cheaper pad from other pad makers are just numbered. Apple showed the way, but may not keep monopoly for long.
I never bought an iPad2 to show off. How lame if they do. Some people actually buy things they like and not to "show off". Besides, if others want to show off, that still doesn't make the iPad anything other than what it is. It's a toy with all the benefits of a good home computer. And with over 400,000 apps, it suits more than one type of user.

Second, don't tell others what to get, it doesn't work that way. I don't want a laptop. They don't last and I don't want to lug it around. I am more than happy with my iPad2. And I don't don't care if people think it's lame, they don't have to buy one. Get over it.

Who cares if someone else wants to browse for hours at a desk? It's their life.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,253,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
I own 2 xooms and you are right! The xoom is far more useful than the i thingy. Take a look at the way I use my xoom when traveling- and here-
Why can't you do that with an iPad? I do it with my Thinkpad x220 Tablet... it works fine.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 PM

119 posts, read 293,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why can't you do that with an iPad? I do it with my Thinkpad x220 Tablet... it works fine.
IN 4G? Android is much more open than the Apple software Apple is not bad by any measure, but I like the freedom to change my operating system to work with my style and liking. I don't like to have to pay for everything and select from a list that some one else compiled. The ipad is a wonderful device for those that want simple. The xoom is a developers tablet with a unlocked boot loader but the i pad is locked down. I make my own apps for my own needs. To sum it up I LIKE CHOICES!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,860,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I never bought an iPad2 to show off. How lame if they do.
No one does that.
Ok maybe 1% of people. I get tired of people saying: people only buy iPads as a status symbol or to show off.
That's ridiculous....

Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM

994 posts, read 1,686,185 times
I use it to browse city-data while I sit on the potty.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,776,848 times
Hey cheesecurd - those xoom pics in your car -- you browse the web while driving?

I'd only use a tablet for GPS if it had that for driving while driving, I wouldn't browse the web while driving home... A 10 sec distraction and then you crash into the vehicle in front of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets