Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,406,996 times

Advertisements

I've been taking in too many espressos...

I saw a guy with the Ipad2 and a keyboard and a very serious looking leather case surfing the web.

If you've got HOURS to kill, wouldn't say a MacBook Air be a better choice?

It's essentially a giant Iphone and when you can see the fingerprint grease reflecting the sunlight off the screen.

I just don't get the Ipad. It is good for showing photos to grandparents (they just swipe) and I've had a few vendors, reps use it for presentations, but it's boxed out by a laptop and an Iphone in most cases...yet I kinda want one, but have no idea when I'd use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,203,879 times
You could use it when surfing city-data and posting things in the appropritate forum.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,406,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
You could use it when surfing city-data and posting things in the appropritate forum.
But it's got that touch keyboard. I actually took the time to learn to touch type (ok- was forced to in school) so it slows me down. I just like the potential to do 'Minority Report' type swipes with images. But the touchscreen at CNN is better suited to that.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM

990 posts, read 2,310,619 times
from knowing a few owners, Its at the surface a surfing and watching device. Really slick and fun. But after playing with the Motorola Xoom, I have to say that thing has serious potential as something far more. Definitely a fan. Will be interesting to see what the Windows Metro environment will do with their tab. Definitely the most underated and slick of the smaller device OSs. I know most don't give their phones a chance, but its a really slick environment. Would be great for a tablet.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
I've been taking in too many espressos...

I saw a guy with the Ipad2 and a keyboard and a very serious looking leather case surfing the web.

If you've got HOURS to kill, wouldn't say a MacBook Air be a better choice?

In the nearly 12 months I have had an iPad (original and now v2) I used a keyboard with it less than a dozen times - the few times I really needed to input some lengthy information away from my desktops.

IMHO if one intends to plug a tablet into the KB dock or pair with a bluetooth KB nearly all the time, then absolutely a MacBook Air would be a much better choice.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 AM

3,469 posts, read 4,874,341 times
I don't get it either. For the most part its just one of those things people buy so they can say "look I have an iPad." I don't sit in restaurants and surf the internet while having lunch or dinner with others because that is just plain rude but some people seem to do it anyway. I guess for travel it might would be ok but a netbook would work just fine too. I know it has apps but who cares. Most of the apps just search the internet for you to find information you could have just found on your own. If you find yourself walking around with one checking your facebook constantly then its time for you to step back and start living life instead of reading and posting about everybody else's. Its just one of the silliest devices to me.

I hate touchscreen devices because I am also one of those that can't stand finger prints or smudges on my screen. I clean my regular screen all the time just to keep dust off because it even drives me nuts. I can't imagine having finger prints and smudges. lol

All of apple's stuff is way overpriced. They have some excellent video and audio editing software but other than that, windows based machines are much less expensive and do everything just as well and a lot of things better.

Now when the apple fanboys see this thread, all heck is going to break loose because we are knocking one of their toys. lol

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't get it either. ...Its just one of the silliest devices to me.

I hate touchscreen devices because I am also one of those that can't stand finger prints or smudges on my screen.
Thankfully the marketplace creates a plethora of products for different preferences.
Tablets are finally here to stay and gaining foothold after being talked about for 25 years.

I doubt I will ever purchase a traditional laptop or netbook again, and I have used laptops for 20+ years.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,744,458 times
15 million people bought an iPad last year, a million have purchased the iPad 2 in the weeks it was out already, and every hardware manufacturer from Motorola to HP to Sony are rushing to introduce their own tablet devices, so while the OP may not "get it", it seems that many more people do and are getting them at a rapid pace.

I didn't see the point when tablets first came out either, but then I used one for a few hours and they are a great alternative to a bulky, heavy laptop with a limited battery for surfing, reading, games, movies, and even writing, although you would want a real keyboard for that.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,752,338 times
I think that the iPad is a great business tool for both my businesses. On the real estate side it is real handy when out showing houses to pull up other available properties in the area to show clients, it is also good for general questions, looking at the tax records and anything a buyer might want to know and would appreciate knowing as the house is being viewed. The map feature is also very handy when out showing several houses in a day.

My other business involves me going to auctions, again the iPad acts as a great tool when at an auction and if there is an item I want to quickly research. I can check my emails, read books, edit spreadsheets all in one handy lightweight package.

To be honest, the arrival of the iPad has pretty much reduced my need of having an iPhone and I much prefer the iPad over the iPhone. I still have my MBP for general computer use.

I guess I am a bit of a Mac fan

Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 AM

15,475 posts, read 25,947,050 times
I'm happy with the iPod Tough 4g. I wouldn't mind an iPad but I just can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets