Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I just picked up a Nexus Tablet. I have several various tablets but this is by far the most 'mobile' for me and my favorite so far.
I love the vanilla version of Jellybean on this thing and its fluid. I like getting the first updates with Nexus product as I have in the past with the other Google branded devices.

My least favorite was the G Slate by LG. Actually I am convinced that Honeycomb was a version Google quickly wanted to get past. It was awful.

Having used Windows 8 RC on my HTPC right now, I am really looking forward to the Surface and tablets that will be coming out.
Is the Nexus tablet useful as an ereader? What type of content for books can you put on it? I want to be able to check out books from the library.

I want something I can read books on and surf the net on, but don't like the idea of being locked into content from Amazon or B&N. Does the Nexus just lock you into google content?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Is the Nexus tablet useful as an ereader? What type of content for books can you put on it? I want to be able to check out books from the library.

I want something I can read books on and surf the net on, but don't like the idea of being locked into content from Amazon or B&N. Does the Nexus just lock you into google content?
I'm pretty sure there are a number of e-reader apps in the app store for any of the numerous free e-books.

You can also load the Kindle app on most tablets / PCs / smart phones, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'd check with your library to see what type of support they have. Our local one uses Kindle.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'm pretty sure there are a number of e-reader apps in the app store for any of the numerous free e-books.

You can also load the Kindle app on most tablets / PCs / smart phones, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'd check with your library to see what type of support they have. Our local one uses Kindle.
All the Reader apps work perfectly on my Nexus 7: Nook, Kindle, Google Play Books, and I primarily use Ireader for my huge collection of .txt and HTML format books. My library uses mobi format, which ireader also supports.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
The Nexus and Google tablets in general certainly do NOT lock you into one specific media vendor.
I can buy books from Amazon and read with the Kindle app, from B&N and read with the Nook app, from Google and read with the Play app, or download from the local library and use either Overdrive or the Google Play Book app, or the Adobe Epub app.
Although to be fair to Amazon, the Kindle Fire does not LOCK you into only Amazon, either. It is a Google tablet after all.
You can still download the Nook app, and get books from most libraries.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I mean mostly for casual/non-work use.

I mean from any brand/company.

Who's had and used one for at least a few months?

Do you use it very often?

Do you find yourself erring back toward your laptop or smartphone?

Yes, I want one, but keep refraining from buying one esp given that many cost as much as a laptop.
I had some hesitation too, but finally decided to buy an iPad. I couldn't really see how it would be sufficiently different than my laptop to be worth the purchase, but after having the iPad a couple of months I'm absolutely blown away by it.

If viewing it as an extension of your internet use, I'd say it is a marginal purchase. However, the apps store has so much available, much of it very inexpensive or free, that it is absolutely breathtaking.

Can't believe how much fun I'm having with it, I never thought I'd get so attached to it. Being retired, I have some time to fool around with it, it certainly makes time go by fast.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM

Good post.
What amazes me is the "Anti tablet" group out there.

"It's a toy!"

"I don't need that, I have a laptop!"

SOOO many reasons I have heard why tablets are not worth it...
They are. Android, iOS... whatever. There is a reason they are so popular. A reason you see them every where. People are not dropping $200-$800 on a "status symbol" (another ridiculous reason I've heard about why people buy them).

They are fun. When is the last time you said "my computer is FUN!" ???? ;P

I touch my tablet every day. I take it to work every day.
I never touched my laptop this much or toted it around so much...

Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Have you actually SEEN a transformer? No you have not. Because you wouldn't make the "dock" copmment if you did.

Closed:

Look like a dock? You never have to remove it. It IS a Netbook in just about every sense except the battery last EVEN LONGER.

And God forbid I get yelled at by the Apple people. You can make your iPad a nice little "NetBook", too:

Perfect for couch surfing.
I need to replace my netbook which i love, and I tried an Ipad for a couple of weeks and did not like it at all. It does what my phone does only it is bigger and bulkier. It does some of what my netbook does, but it is more difficult to use and typing is ridiculous. I tried a detached keyboard and it was a PIA, plus yet another item that I had to remember to keep charged. I came away convinced it is just a gimick for people who want to display how technically savvy they are. I expect it will be the next thing that all high school students claim the just have to have in order to function at school. I found i left it at home in preference for my old beat up netbook and my phone.

So I am still looking for a good replacement for a netbook. I do not want an Apple system becuase I am frequently at clients offices and need help. If I have a microsoft system, their IT people can help me. If I have an Apple system, they tell me to go to the local shopping mall for help.

The transformer looks interesting. It is apple or can it run microsoft? If it is apple, is there something similar that will run windows? How is it any different than a netbook? Does it have a CD drive? USB ports? How long does the battery last? I get 10 hours out of my netbook with normal use and 5 hours if I watch movies or other power intensive use. I would just keep the netbook even though it is out of date, becuase i like the way I have it set up and I do not want to spend months trying to get something new set up the same way, but it is physically broken. Not so good when I flip it open and I have a paper clamp holding the screen in place and together.

Does the transformer thing have a repalceable battery? I would not consider buying anything that does not have a replaceable battery.

Can you turn the touch screen off on those things? I hate touch screen, it pisses me off as often as it works.

Last question is it durable? I am hard on electronics for some reaon. I have been through 15 droid phones in three years. Stuff just seems to break around me. My Asus netbook has held up very well, much better than the droid phones that is for sure. However now it is starting to come apart at the seams (literally).

THanks

Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Transformer is an ANDROID device. Does not run Windows.
You might be a candidate for the Microsoft Surface if and when it... surfaces.

The only tablet I know that has a replaceable batter is the Toshiba Thrive... also Android only. (On sale today at 1saleaday.com for $219 for a refrub). The Thrive is the closest thing to a "real" PC as it has full size USB ports. Full size HDMI. It's thick because of that.
The keyboard of the Asus also has a batter in it so it gives like 15 hours of battery when attached to the keyboard.
Lenovo is coming out with a cheaper one that also has a dock, too.

But, I'm thinking you might be a candidate for an ultrabook (super skinny laptop) or another netbook.
As much as I preach about how great tablets are I also know there are some people out there that would be better served with a "real" PC.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Transformer is an ANDROID device. Does not run Windows.
You might be a candidate for the Microsoft Surface if and when it... surfaces.

The only tablet I know that has a replaceable batter is the Toshiba Thrive... also Android only. (On sale today at 1saleaday.com for $219 for a refrub). The Thrive is the closest thing to a "real" PC as it has full size USB ports. Full size HDMI. It's thick because of that.
The keyboard of the Asus also has a batter in it so it gives like 15 hours of battery when attached to the keyboard.
Lenovo is coming out with a cheaper one that also has a dock, too.

But, I'm thinking you might be a candidate for an ultrabook (super skinny laptop) or another netbook.
As much as I preach about how great tablets are I also know there are some people out there that would be better served with a "real" PC.
I have a phone to run android apps. I need a little computer to run word, excel, adobe (full version), and various presentation or document management software (trial pro, summation, powerpoint). Otherwise I use it to conenct into our company system through the remote server or for entertainment (movies and games - I wish I could find one that can run the newest version of Civilization, but my quad core 2.4 ghz desktpop with 6 gig of ram runs it like molasses, so I doubt there will be a netbook to run it anytime soon)

WHat is an ultrabook? Is it small and light? I travel a lot. It took a long time to get used to the tiny netbook keyboard. A bigger one woudl be nice, but I like that I can shove the netbook into any kind of bag in a matter of seconds and I can hold it with one hand ant type with the other. The other thing that is great about netbooks is tey are practical to use on an airplne. Most notebooks are not. By the time you get the screen open, the keyboard is too close to you to type. They are also very practical to use in a car. Notebooks get a bit cramped in a car and often get too hot to hold on your lap.

I think that is another thing I will look for in a repalcement computer. I want one that does nto burn my legs when the battery discharges.

EDIT: Looked online for Ultrabook. It appears they are less powerful and more expensive than netbooks. But they have longer battery life. Am I wrong?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Here's one for $650.
Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook Intel Core i5-2467M, 500GB, 13.3" - Silver - Sam's Club

Core i5 is no slouch.

But generally speaking you are correct. However they are more then powerful enough for most stuff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets