Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 AM

767 posts, read 1,749,740 times

Advertisements

I mean mostly for casual/non-work use.

I mean from any brand/company.

Who's had and used one for at least a few months?

Do you use it very often?

Do you find yourself erring back toward your laptop or smartphone?

Yes, I want one, but keep refraining from buying one esp given that many cost as much as a laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 94,002,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

Yes, I want one, but keep refraining from buying one esp given that many cost as much as a laptop.

I think they cost a lot more.

I have a dell mini 10. They are about $279 from dell outlet.

HDMI
USB ports (unlike the iPad)
Windows 7 (a real operating system)
Built in mobile broadband 3G

Desktops Videos | Dell Mini 10

Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,547,577 times
I have an ipad nano. Once the novelty wore off, it pretty much sits there.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:27 AM

8,953 posts, read 20,737,310 times
Quote:

Any "tablet" is a task specific device. Unless you have specific task that a tablet can do then they are nothing more than very expensive "toys" for the rich and foolish.

"casual/non-work use" reads I want a new toy. Can you afford this new toy?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 AM

767 posts, read 1,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I have an ipad nano. Once the novelty wore off, it pretty much sits there.
My suspicion is that I would do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"casual/non-work use" reads I want a new toy. Can you afford this new toy?
Kinda. No. Not right now, anyway.

I'm both waiting for the prices to come down and more feedback from the user community. I want to see how common EC's experience is.

As for a 'specific task', my tablet day dream is that it will serve as a lighter-weight, lower-bulk, longer-lasting computer than a notebook so I can take it with me on my weekend meanderings or when/whereever I want to web surf without the encumberment or short battery life of a notebook.

How much battery life are you guys getting out of your tablets?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,860,442 times
Quote:
As for a 'specific task', my tablet day dream is that it will serve as a lighter-weight, lower-bulk, longer-lasting computer than a notebook so I can take it with me on my weekend meanderings or when/whereever I want to web surf without the encumberment or short battery life of a notebook.

At that my friend is what they excel at.
I had a Motorola Xoom for 3 weeks for free from VZW for testing purposes for my job.
It could not take the place of a laptop in our corporate environment. Although it was close.
But for home use? I didn't open my home Laptop for the entire 3 weeks I had it. Facebook, Email, Internet and a few silly games. It seriously kicked ass as an internet device. And I want one bad for home use.
Boots faster then a latop. Web pages fly open. Battery life was crazy good.
The only thing it needs to totally replace my home laptop is a way for me to get the photos from my Digital SLR camera to it.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
My suspicion is that I would do the same.

Kinda. No. Not right now, anyway.

I'm both waiting for the prices to come down and more feedback from the user community. I want to see how common EC's experience is.

How much battery life are you guys getting out of your tablets?

Woof! You will be disappointed to the point of being angry that the ipad doesn't meet your expectaions noted in blue.

The ipad battery will last about 10 HOURS in normal use !! Longer if the wi-fi & 3g is turned off but not by much.

I bought my ipad as an e-reader since I need large print. If not for that I would not own it.......I would have bought a macbook instead and kinda wish I had except for the weight difference lap top vs ipad.

You can buy an apple ipad refurb (comes with full apple warranty) as I did and save good money.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODY4NQ

Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
At that my friend is what they excel at.
I had a Motorola Xoom for 3 weeks for free from VZW for testing purposes for my job.
It could not take the place of a laptop in our corporate environment. Although it was close.
But for home use? I didn't open my home Laptop for the entire 3 weeks I had it. Facebook, Email, Internet and a few silly games. It seriously kicked ass as an internet device. And I want one bad for home use.
Boots faster then a latop. Web pages fly open. Battery life was crazy good.
The only thing it needs to totally replace my home laptop is a way for me to get the photos from my Digital SLR camera to it.
This adapter will enable ipads to hook up to camera. Look for one for your android machine.

Amazon.com: NEW GEN 3-IN-1 APPLE IPAD CAMERA CONNECTION KIT FEATURING TRANSFER VIA MicroSD,SD READER,USB FLASH DRIVE,Camera USB CABLE: Electronics

Old 06-07-2011, 05:07 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,452,433 times
I have the xoom, absolutely love it.

I've had it about 2 months, use it only at home and I pretty much stopped using my desktop. I still use it daily, there's always news to check or emails to respond to...which is much easier than on my evo 4g.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,860,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
As I've said in other threads, wait for the new tablets.
Toshiba Thrive just announced. $429. Android 3.1. Has a full size USB slot, full size HDMI and a SDHC slot.
Also the first tablet to feature a replaceable battery.
Only drawback I see as mentioned at Engadget is the bezel is a bit on the larger side. Not quite as sleek as the Xoom.
But I can live with it. Could be my tablet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets