Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:15 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
These tablets are pretty much all the same. Low end or high end quad core cpu, mediocre camera, low end video processor, 1 or 2GB RAM

On the Android end, after 1 or 2 years you will not get any further OS Ugrades unless you spend $200+ and most tablets dont even have a HDMI connection anymore and most portable electronics start to have battery issues after 2-3 years anyways, so most will just buy a new tablet. Plus you can do 99% of what you do on a tablet on your phone and with 5.5-6.0 inch screens, phablets make a 7" tablet pointless alot of the times.

On the windows end, if you get a detectable Win 10 tablet, It has alot more use than android if its not for games.

Apple tablets are WAY overpriced.

This is all true, but I use my tablet for very different purposes than my phone.
I read daily and have found the display arrangement matching an open softback (2-column layout, font size, overall weight), but independence from room lighting and massive storage all make tablet reading more enjoyable then dead-tree. So much so that I'm gradually exchanging my 2,500+ library to ebook format.

If they ever made a phone that expanded to 10" wide x 7" tall, I'd snap it up so as to not have multiple devices to carry around, but until then, my tablet follows me around in a cheap couriers pouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 09:08 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
This is all true, but I use my tablet for very different purposes than my phone.
I read daily and have found the display arrangement matching an open softback (2-column layout, font size, overall weight), but independence from room lighting and massive storage all make tablet reading more enjoyable then dead-tree. So much so that I'm gradually exchanging my 2,500+ library to ebook format.

If they ever made a phone that expanded to 10" wide x 7" tall, I'd snap it up so as to not have multiple devices to carry around, but until then, my tablet follows me around in a cheap couriers pouch.
I forgot about the ebooks, and for that purpose tablets are excellent.

I think 8inch tablets are the perfect medium of portability and usable screen size, but now adays a low end tablet can meet most peoples needs and there is really no need to spend $300+ for a Samsung, Google, or Sony brand.

I know these low end are pretty much obsolete after a yr OS wise and sometimes crap out if you go too cheap brand wise, like the crap-lets brands you can get from Frys, Brandsmart, or BestBuy, but if its for Ebooks, what ever app you are using will probably be good for 2-3 yrs through the different Android versions.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:34 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
NO, tablets are not dead. I love these little things. Fun toy, I marvel at how beautiful the makers have gotten the screen. Some videos look seriously life like with 1440p.

Here is my collection.
From left to right,
1. Samsung Tab Pro 8.4
2. Ipad Mini 4
3. Asus Zenpad 3s 10
4. Ipad Pro 9.7

Old 03-03-2017, 07:56 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Mad props for living in both worlds. (ANDROID + APPLE)

Old 03-03-2017, 08:04 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When I first got my tablet I used it all the time. Now - well hardly at all. I don't find it to be a replacement for my laptop in any way. The only time I use it now is when I'm out of the house and think my phone screen is too small.

My wife uses hers all the time.
Same here. I purchased my Samsung Tab 10.1 a few years ago, maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I loved it, and used it a lot until a couple years ago. Now I typically only take it with me when we go out of town on a pleasure trip as opposed to lugging my lap top along and risking damage to it.

As someone else said, it won't run many of the newer apps and it's getting pretty slow in running. Still works fine for the most part, as long as you realize it's limitations and accept them. It's fine for surfing the net, or reading emails etc... But I never did develop any taste for doing any actual computing functions on it. Just to difficult to type with any speed or accuracy compared to the laptop.

It's been sitting on my desk at home now and it's probably been 2 months since the last time I used it. I doubt I'll buy another one since my smart phone has basically replaced it.

Last edited by jasper1372; 03-03-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-06-2017, 02:50 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
NO, tablets are not dead. I love these little things. Fun toy, I marvel at how beautiful the makers have gotten the screen. Some videos look seriously life like with 1440p.

Here is my collection.
From left to right,
1. Samsung Tab Pro 8.4
2. Ipad Mini 4
3. Asus Zenpad 3s 10
4. Ipad Pro 9.7
Nice! I use my iPad2 several hours each day. It's never failed me abd I have never run across an app that won't work on it. I wouldn't mind having the iPad 9.7.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
I have sold the Ipad pro 9.7 in the pic above. I recently got the Asus 9.7 and started using it so much more than the Ipad. The pics show it has a slimmer bezel and that bezel makes looking at the tablet MUCH nicer and also feels lighter and smaller yet of course with the same screen size. The screen on the Ipad pro is a bit better and more vibrant while the Asus is more toned down real in its colors if you leave it in balanced mode. The speakers are great on the Ipad pro its beaten by how awesome the Asus Zenpad looks and feels.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:43 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem causing the sales decline is they don't need upgrading as often as the old desktops and laptops, and are more reliable with solid state storage, so they are kept longer.
The other problem is tablets don't have an accessory ecosystem (RAM, graphic cards, CPUs, motherboards etc) to support the market the way desktops do. You sell, trade or even throw the tablet away after you're finished with it. Tablet accessories like chargers or keyboards etc work with any of your future mobile devices.
This is also a problem with perfectly capable smartphones, unless you're the type who sleeps overnight outside the store for the latest product launch.

This decade has seen the magic $99-and-under mark for computing, where consumers can buy any brand and any model, and it will suit their needs for web/music/video. The computing and consumer electronics market in general is in for a lot of trouble in the coming years. Gaming, productivity and enterprise will keep the desktop market viable for a while.

Last edited by nc17; 03-11-2017 at 05:52 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 06:51 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
I still love my tablet.
It probably gets the most usage once I get home. It's also what I take when I leave the house overnight. I've found I use it more since I got a stylus because using a stylus makes it easier to navigate with less motions & swiping & all. You know you're at the ultimate level of laziness when moving 1 finger an inch or 2 is too much work.

It is strange though because I've thought of selling the table many times & if it breaks, I'm not sure I'd replace it since I have a laptop & smart phone. But at the same time, the tablet gets the most use.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:21 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
<snip>This decade has seen the magic $99-and-under mark for computing, where consumers can buy any brand and any model, and it will suit their needs for web/music/video. ...
I agree. I've seen some forecasts that say that tablets will become MORE common, not less. This is because they will be inexpensive to become ubiquitous. I could see one in each room, all connected via WiFi.
Bedroom, Bathroom, & Living Room: remote for the media center, or e-book reader.
Kitchen (finally we could have an easy to actually use recipe-displayer).
Even garage (shop manual reader)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets