Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 12:08 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,523,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There are several things you can do that may or may not answer your question. Long-press the safari icon down on the app bar. Means, put your finger on it and hold it. In a second or so, a menu pops up. Click show all windows. You can see ast the bottom what Safari windows are open (not tabs), switch to that window or close it.

To close a slide-over, not just drag it off screen, which you can do, is to touch the line at the bottom and drag the slide over to the middle and up at the same time. The slide over will change and then you can swipe it up to close it.

You can also swipe up from the bottom center of the screen to get to the app switcher. You should see any slide over windows on there and be able to close it.

Those are off they top of my head. If that doesn’t help let me know.
These things are good to know, but it's not intiutive or obvious to the user. It almost reminds me of Windows 8.

There is a thread in another forum where people say they hate Ipad multitasking but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it.

When I drag a slideover off the edge, sometimes it doesn't disappear. I have to press home and restart Safari.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 06:19 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
These things are good to know, but it's not intiutive or obvious to the user. It almost reminds me of Windows 8.

There is a thread in another forum where people say they hate Ipad multitasking but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it.

When I drag a slideover off the edge, sometimes it doesn't disappear. I have to press home and restart Safari.
I don’t hate multitasking on the iPad, but i agree it’s not well done yet. You don’t have to restart Safari. TRy one of the things i suggested, if you understand my suggestions. (I know I am not the best at explaining how to do things). I use those methods all of the time because i keep accidentally opening something, or sliding something off screen and couldn’t figure out out how to get it back. Now I know that one of those methods, and sometimes a combination of those methods to get it to do what i want.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:18 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Suggestion: to move the divider in Split Screen, you should be able to slide any part of the divider, not just the white box thing.
Not sure Apple will get that message here, Robert.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:19 AM

"Slide Over" is where there's a vertical window that is like a little browser screen, displayed on a fullsize window.

If you tap the "..." in the slideover window, you can select full screen, and what was in the slideover will be a fullsize window.

But if you tap the "..." in the full window, and then select full screen, it doesn't get rid of the slideover window.

What's the idea of the slideover window - when would you want to use it?

Old 04-10-2022, 11:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
"Slide Over" is where there's a vertical window that is like a little browser screen, displayed on a fullsize window.

If you tap the "..." in the slideover window, you can select full screen, and what was in the slideover will be a fullsize window.

But if you tap the "..." in the full window, and then select full screen, it doesn't get rid of the slideover window.

What's the idea of the slideover window - when would you want to use it?
Like that little tab thing? I hate it. I find that I often accidentally click on the graphics here in CD and it opens up a window and then I have to do some finagling to get it to close out.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:15 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
I am an old fart (77) and do lots of stuff accidentally on my iPad.
Most of it happens when an errant finger brushes the touch screen.
Drives me nuts.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:23 PM

Ipados 16 is different. If you click on the "..." it displays a new popup menu. One of the items is Close, which I like.

Old 03-05-2023, 12:14 PM

In Safari, I still hate the vertical slideover bar that sometimes appears. My Mom uses it and she must be doing something accidentally so that the bar appears.

When you click on the "..." you get a menu so you can click Close, which is good. But when I click Close, instead of closing, it fills the bar with different content. I sometimes have to click Close 3-4 times before the bar goes away.

Old 03-11-2023, 04:44 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I am an old fart (77) and do lots of stuff accidentally on my iPad.
Most of it happens when an errant finger brushes the touch screen.
Drives me nuts.
oh is this true! wish there was a way to decrease the sensitivity of the touch screen.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:30 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
oh is this true! wish there was a way to decrease the sensitivity of the touch screen.
Check settings > Acessibility > touch > touch accommodations. You can change the sensitivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets