Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 12:40 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

What are the different ways to enter split screen in Safari?

My mom is kind of old and she often accidentally enters split screen. One way is to press and hold a link, and then slide to the edge. It's hard to believe she does that accidentally.

Is there another way to start split screen??

I know how to get out of it: touch and hold the divider and then slide to the edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 03:20 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Don't use it myself, but apparently there is a second way
"Open a blank page in Split View: Touch and hold , then tap Open New Window."

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207522 for more details.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:37 PM

OK but that seems even less likely to happen accidentally.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:11 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
OK,, maybe this then ??

"All you have to do is accidentally drag a link in Safari, instead of just tapping on it, and you end up with a split-screen view, with that link in its own window. And getting rid of that window is a huge pain, even if you know how to do it."

See https://www.cultofmac.com/680749/how...-multitasking/

Old 09-29-2021, 06:46 PM

33,320 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
What are the different ways to enter split screen in Safari?

My mom is kind of old and she often accidentally enters split screen. One way is to press and hold a link, and then slide to the edge. It's hard to believe she does that accidentally.

Is there another way to start split screen??

I know how to get out of it: touch and hold the divider and then slide to the edge.
The previous links in this thread are outdated.

iPadOS 15 makes 'discovering' and using Split View easier.

https://www.imore.com/how-ipados-15-helps-me-work

Especially see paragraph five (starts out "With iPadOS 15"), and also click on the "Split View and Slide Over" hyperlink within that paragraph.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:38 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
You can also do it accidentally by dragging an image to the side. I do that’s accidentally all of the time. I’ll be scrolling and not realize how my finger is touching th screen and before i realize it, i dragged an image, or a graphic enough to open a new window, either in a split screen, or a slide over window. It’s frustrating sometimes how easy it is to do it when you don’t want to.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:13 PM

Suggestion: to move the divider in Split Screen, you should be able to slide any part of the divider, not just the white box thing.

About Side Screen (one browser window is a narrow column) - what would people use that for?

Old 02-26-2022, 11:30 AM

If you have two Safari windows open, and one is fullscreen and one is Slide Over view - how can you display just the fullscreen one and hide the slide over view? (Slide Over view is a tall and skinny copy of the browser.)

I saw you can drag the Slide Over off the edge, but when I do that, the Slide Over window just changes to a different web page.

You can press "..." on the Slide Over and then select Full View but that makes the Slide Over window into the main window.
I can't get rid of the Slide Over window in one step.

Settings - there is supposed to be a Setting called Multitasking but I don't see it.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:47 AM

I've been reading that with IpadOS 13 or 14, you could turn off multitasking.
With 15, you can't. That's why I don't see it on my settings screen.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:49 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
If you have two Safari windows open, and one is fullscreen and one is Slide Over view - how can you display just the fullscreen one and hide the slide over view? (Slide Over view is a tall and skinny copy of the browser.)

I saw you can drag the Slide Over off the edge, but when I do that, the Slide Over window just changes to a different web page.

You can press "..." on the Slide Over and then select Full View but that makes the Slide Over window into the main window.
I can't get rid of the Slide Over window in one step.

Settings - there is supposed to be a Setting called Multitasking but I don't see it.
There are several things you can do that may or may not answer your question. Long-press the safari icon down on the app bar. Means, put your finger on it and hold it. In a second or so, a menu pops up. Click show all windows. You can see ast the bottom what Safari windows are open (not tabs), switch to that window or close it.

To close a slide-over, not just drag it off screen, which you can do, is to touch the line at the bottom and drag the slide over to the middle and up at the same time. The slide over will change and then you can swipe it up to close it.

You can also swipe up from the bottom center of the screen to get to the app switcher. You should see any slide over windows on there and be able to close it.

Those are off they top of my head. If that doesn’t help let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets