Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 01:43 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
In fairness, if you have Windows 11, you can grab the Apple Music app from the MS Store now. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the dumpster fire iTunes is. And it supports lossless audio!

Dunno if you can sync to iPad with a cable with it yet. Haven't tried. I have an Apple Music subscription so all my media syncs both ways anyway over the air.
Beat me to it ^^^^^.

My post #30 turned out to be unnecessary (I didn't see your post until after my post #30).

It's wonderful not to have to deal with the aptly put 'dumpster fire' of iTunes on Windows anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 07:50 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Not a big user of iTunes. Curious why it is such 'dumpster fire'? I mean I always hated how it constantly had to update and it would always install a bunch of crap on your computer but i thought the actual program was always pretty decent.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:49 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
I'm guessing you still need iTunes to copy ripped CDs.

Old 05-23-2023, 12:07 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I'm guessing you still need iTunes to copy ripped CDs.
Never done it with ITunes but there are plenty of programs out there you can do it with.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:08 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not a big user of iTunes. Curious why it is such 'dumpster fire'? I mean I always hated how it constantly had to update and it would always install a bunch of crap on your computer but i thought the actual program was always pretty decent.
Slow, laggy, memory intensive, no lossless audio, outdated UI...the list goes on. Not including all the extra crap it installed.

It was a decent app 10 years ago. Time has moved on - iTunes didn't.

Once the Apple Music app was released for Mac, iTunes should have gone away and Music should have come to Windows. It's far cleaner, still a scootch laggy, but it's a preview version so I'll cut it some slack, and I really don't care about syncing over a cable since I do it OTA anyway.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:49 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Slow, laggy, memory intensive, no lossless audio, outdated UI...the list goes on. Not including all the extra crap it installed.

It was a decent app 10 years ago. Time has moved on - iTunes didn't.

Once the Apple Music app was released for Mac, iTunes should have gone away and Music should have come to Windows. It's far cleaner, still a scootch laggy, but it's a preview version so I'll cut it some slack, and I really don't care about syncing over a cable since I do it OTA anyway.
But the first time you sync a device it needs to use a cable, then you can set it up to sync over WiFi. But you need an appropriate cable even if you only do it once. Plus, I've found the WiFi syncing to be slow and unreliable anyway.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:16 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But the first time you sync a device it needs to use a cable, then you can set it up to sync over WiFi. But you need an appropriate cable even if you only do it once. Plus, I've found the WiFi syncing to be slow and unreliable anyway.
Wrong. I have not once plugged one of my iPads in for the first sync. All of my media is in Apple Music and TV, and given that I have a subscription to Music, it keeps all of that info in iCloud. As soon as I login to an iPad with my Apple ID, all of that media shows up in their respective apps. All of my digital copies of discs we own are synced with iCloud as well, on top of the movies we've bought digitally in the first place. Nowadays, if you buy a physical copy of a movie, it comes with a code for a digital version.

If you don't have a subscription, you of course have to use a cable, and has been said multiple times in this thread, cables are easy to find and cheap. I prefer the subscription because I can use playlists, channels, etc. For the $10/mo it costs me, it's well worth it.

As for Wi-Fi being slow and unreliable, that's usually a result of having crappy Wi-Fi and/or slow internet. I have an excellent Wi-Fi setup and gigabit internet. Speed isn't a problem for me.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:35 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Wrong. I have not once plugged one of my iPads in for the first sync. All of my media is in Apple Music and TV, and given that I have a subscription to Music, it keeps all of that info in iCloud. As soon as I login to an iPad with my Apple ID, all of that media shows up in their respective apps. All of my digital copies of discs we own are synced with iCloud as well, on top of the movies we've bought digitally in the first place. Nowadays, if you buy a physical copy of a movie, it comes with a code for a digital version.

If you don't have a subscription, you of course have to use a cable, and has been said multiple times in this thread, cables are easy to find and cheap. I prefer the subscription because I can use playlists, channels, etc. For the $10/mo it costs me, it's well worth it.

As for Wi-Fi being slow and unreliable, that's usually a result of having crappy Wi-Fi and/or slow internet. I have an excellent Wi-Fi setup and gigabit internet. Speed isn't a problem for me.
I think he was talking about iTunes, not the Music app. What he described matches to way it used to be with iTunes. He needs to realize it’s 2023 now.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:29 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:

Same here.

I only have 1 copy of 1 digital movie though and I think 2 or 3 digital copies overall of (each different) TV shows, so under 5 digital copies total.

But I do have two Apple Music subscriptions, one full (100,000...actually the system let me go a bit over that re videos), and a second subscription with just over 43,000 items in the library.

I'm a little obsessed re always having a downloaded copy charged (battery charged) so....

On my full 100,000 subscription I have the whole full/100k library downloaded to two different computers, one 2TB iPad Pro, all of the songs downloaded to two different Androids (each with a 1TB microSD card)...an LG G8x Dual Screen and and LG Stylo 5, and all of the videos downloaded to three different phones...two different Androids (each with a 500GB microSD card) which are two Samsung AO3s, and one 2020 iPhoneSE (actually I could only fit a bit over 95% of the video downloads on that iPhone).

On my just over 43,000 subscription, I have that whole library downloaded to 1 computer, and the whole library (didn't need to split songs and videos onto two different phones) onto each of two phones....another LG G8x Dual Screen and a Samsung AO2s. I also have this subscription on a different iPad Pro...so the library is visible and playable with an internet connection on that iPad, but I have none/zero of that library downloaded to that iPad for offline listening.

All of my Apple Music libraries = choices from Apple's servers (not owned), which I'm fine with. I plan to keep my Apple Music subscriptions for the rest of my life.

I have a bunch of CDs....and also LPs, 45s, 78s, and cassette tapes in California. When I get out there to go through them (I live in Texas), the first thing I'll do is look at all of the titles (under 2,000 (excluding the 78s)...600+ CDs, 600+ LPs and maybe 400-500 total commercial cassette tapes, 45s, and mix tapes (cassettes)...and add any titles to my '43,000 library' that aren't currently part of either the '43,000 library/subscription' nor the '100,000 library/subscription.

After that, if I decide to get rid of all of that physical media in California, I may want to rip a copy of some or all of that onto a hard drive or into the cloud.

What I'm wondering re you...is if you have any media that was yours/owned that you 'ripped' (likeCDs) so that you could also have that media onboard on devices (computers, tablets, phones) and or in the cloud.......and if you did do that, did all of that go into your Apple Music library, or do you also (or instead of) have that ripped into some other cloud setup (not Apple Music)or onto a hard drive? I'm asking because I think the 'ripping onto a hard drive or into the cloud' that I mentioned in the previous paragraph....I'd probably want to do that outside of Apple Music......wondering what other people have done/which could be a good additional choice for me.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:50 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
I ripped my entire CD collection to my computer and gave the discs away. I have a few copies backed up. I tried putting it in the cloud back when Google had a similar product (Play Music). It was ok.

You should certainly burn to a hard drive for safe keeping than maybe synch.

Curious how many HOURS of music that 143,000 translates into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets