Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 07:41 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Isn't Apple Music a service that you have to pay for, and that the music exists only in the cloud, not on your device? And I assume it doesn't let you copy music that you ripped from CDs to your devices?
Yes it is a service you have to pay for. You can download music to a device. You can synch your own music to it.

I would suggest at this point to continue doing what your doing with a cable and iTunes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 09:54 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes it is a service you have to pay for. You can download music to a device. You can synch your own music to it.

I would suggest at this point to continue doing what your doing with a cable and iTunes.
Probably, since it seems, despite what Apple says, cables that meet my needs seem to exist, and they are likely cheaper than signing up for a service.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:06 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Probably, since it seems, despite what Apple says, cables that meet my needs seem to exist, and they are likely cheaper than signing up for a service.
You can download Apple Music selections to your device to listen to offline.

Each subscription (tied to and identified by your Apple ID) allows you to have up 100,000 selections in your library (from the 100 million +), but if connected to the internet you can search and play from more than 100 million items/songs.

Each subscription allows up to ten devices to be associated with that subscription.

My main/full Apple Music subscription is associated with my main Apple ID, and has 100,000 items in it (it is full). That subscription is associated with 7 different devices......4 phones, 2 computers, and 1 iPad. I have 4 different copies of the full library (which is over 1 TB) downloaded...1 computer has the whole thing downloaded, the iPad (a 2 TB iPad Pro) has the whole thing downloaded, and two phones each have the songs in the library downloaded and another two phone each have the videos in the library downloaded.

I created a second Apple ID for my second Apple Music subscription, which has a library of a bit over 42,000 items/songs. That subscription is associated with 5 different devices, 1 computer, 1 iPad Pro, and 3 phones. Two of the three phones each have the whole library downloaded, and the computer has the whole library downloaded (so I have three downloaded copies of the whole library). The other phone and the iPad don't have any downloads for offline listeningi.

Personally, my libraries = only selections that are on Apple's servers (selections out of the 100 million +), but one's library doesn't have to be like mine....you can combine it any way you want.....a mix.....some from Apple's servers/some ripped CDs/etc.

The authorization isn't done by restricting the downloads, but rather by reauthorizing the software to Apple's servers once a quarter/four times a year.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:41 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
In this case, it copied everything I have in my current iTunes library (both music purchased on iTunes and ripped from CDs) from the old iPad to the new one. If I purchase new music on iTunes, it will automatically download on the iPad, as well as other devices. But if I rip a new CD into iTunes, that does not automatically copy to other devices. Is there a way to copy it to other devices without using a cable? I know iTunes can sync over WiFi, but that won't work here, since you have to first connect a device using a cable before you an sync it using WiFi in the future.
The last time I used iTunes, there was a way to copy over even my own stuff. I never used it without a cable. I use iCloud to transfer stuff, or airdrop. I have copied things to a network drive and accessed or copied from there via Wi-Fi before.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The last time I used iTunes, there was a way to copy over even my own stuff. I never used it without a cable. I use iCloud to transfer stuff, or airdrop. I have copied things to a network drive and accessed or copied from there via Wi-Fi before.
I don't think any of that works to copy music, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:32 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
I don't think any of that works to copy music, but I could be wrong.
That’s probably why Peregrine referred you to Apple’s Music app.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That’s probably why Peregrine referred you to Apple’s Music app.
But it seems you have to pay for that app, which obviously I'd want to avoid.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:38 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Not sure if I wasn't clear enough earlier: iTunes is still supported on iPhones and Windows computers to transfer music via cable synching.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210384

Old 05-16-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not sure if I wasn't clear enough earlier: iTunes is still supported on iPhones and Windows computers to transfer music via cable synching.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210384
Yes, but my computer and iPad don't have compatible ports. Apple does not sell the type of cable that I would need. I purchased one from another brand, and I'll try it out when it arrives. Hope it works. It's cheaper than paying for a monthly service.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:35 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
But it seems you have to pay for that app, which obviously I'd want to avoid.
We don’t pay for Apple Music. It’s a service that allows you to access their full library for a monthly fee. But you don’t have to pay a subscription fee if you’re just using it to manage your own library of music. Is your laptop a Mac or PC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets