Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 10:35 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times

Advertisements

I recently bought an iPad 10. Rather than a lightning connector, it has a USB-C connector, and the cable that it comes with has a USB-C connector at both ends. However, my laptop does not have USB-C ports, only USB-A ports. As far as I am aware, there are no cables that connect a USB-C device to a USB-A laptop. Is there any way that I can sync the iPad with iTunes? Or am I out of luck? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 10:46 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I recently bought an iPad 10. Rather than a lightning connector, it has a USB-C connector, and the cable that it comes with has a USB-C connector at both ends. However, my laptop does not have USB-C ports, only USB-A ports. As far as I am aware, there are no cables that connect a USB-C device to a USB-A laptop. Is there any way that I can sync the iPad with iTunes? Or am I out of luck? Thank you.
There are all kinds of cables to go from A to C. Check Amazon, Best Buy...hell, I think I even saw those in Walmart.

Or buy a A to C adapter...also on Amazon.

Old 05-10-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
There are all kinds of cables to go from A to C. Check Amazon, Best Buy...hell, I think I even saw those in Walmart.

Or buy a A to C adapter...also on Amazon.
My understanding is that the cables and adapters that you are talking about do the opposite of what I want: they allow you to connect a USB - A device to a USB - C port on a computer. I'm looking to do the opposite, to connect a USB - C device to a USB - A port on a computer. Unfortunately, Apple says there is no way to do what I am trying to do. Is there a workaround?

Old 05-10-2023, 03:40 PM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
You just need to make sure that you have the correct male / female connectors correct.

From the Apple site:
https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad...56c56a8/ipados
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-JXMOX...63&sr=8-3&th=1

Last edited by Paul_G; 05-10-2023 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: added Amazon link

Old 05-10-2023, 10:00 PM

Interestingly, the 2 page manual that comes with the iPad does not mention syncing as a use for the USB-C port, which makes me wonder if it even can sync with a computer anymore even with a compatible cable.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:36 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
USB cables do not work in one direction only. They are all a '2 way street'. As long as both ends fit, they will talk to each other.

iTunes is dead and has been replaced with Apple Music. iTunes WILL still work to synch to your iPad but Apple would really like you to switch to Music.

This is still legit. Now sure what Apple has told you that you cannot do?!?!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210612

Old 05-11-2023, 09:07 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Interestingly, the 2 page manual that comes with the iPad does not mention syncing as a use for the USB-C port, which makes me wonder if it even can sync with a computer anymore even with a compatible cable.
You are way overthinking this.

Yes, you can still sync with a cable. Yes, iTunes is still available for Windows. Yes, there are plenty of cables going from USB-A to USB-C. Plenty of USB-A to USB-C adapters too if you insist on using the cable that came with the iPad. No, cables are not one way.

If you have a Mac, same idea, except you'll sync with Apple Music or Finder.

Personally, I haven't plugged an iPad into any computer except to wipe and restore in...years and years. My media is synced from my computer to Apple Music, and my iPad syncs over the cloud. Library, playlists, etc. Beauty of that is all my media is available on all my devices, no cables required

Old 05-11-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
iTunes is dead and has been replaced with Apple Music. iTunes WILL still work to synch to your iPad but Apple would really like you to switch to Music.
Isn't Apple Music a service that you have to pay for, and that the music exists only in the cloud, not on your device? And I assume it doesn't let you copy music that you ripped from CDs to your devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
You are way overthinking this.

Yes, you can still sync with a cable. Yes, iTunes is still available for Windows. Yes, there are plenty of cables going from USB-A to USB-C. Plenty of USB-A to USB-C adapters too if you insist on using the cable that came with the iPad. No, cables are not one way.

If you have a Mac, same idea, except you'll sync with Apple Music or Finder.

Personally, I haven't plugged an iPad into any computer except to wipe and restore in...years and years. My media is synced from my computer to Apple Music, and my iPad syncs over the cloud. Library, playlists, etc. Beauty of that is all my media is available on all my devices, no cables required
Again, isn't that a service that you have to pay for? And, I assume it doesn't allow you to copy music that you ripped from CDs to other devices?

Old 05-12-2023, 05:43 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
It can sync. Apple wants you to use iCloud.com for that though. The old iTunes way is old fashioned now. It can still be done that way if you really want it that way. By the way, the days when you could only sync things you got through iTunes are long over.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It can sync. Apple wants you to use iCloud.com for that though. The old iTunes way is old fashioned now. It can still be done that way if you really want it that way. By the way, the days when you could only sync things you got through iTunes are long over.
In this case, it copied everything I have in my current iTunes library (both music purchased on iTunes and ripped from CDs) from the old iPad to the new one. If I purchase new music on iTunes, it will automatically download on the iPad, as well as other devices. But if I rip a new CD into iTunes, that does not automatically copy to other devices. Is there a way to copy it to other devices without using a cable? I know iTunes can sync over WiFi, but that won't work here, since you have to first connect a device using a cable before you an sync it using WiFi in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets