Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,921,057 times

Advertisements

Are you saying PCs don't integrate hardware with software? Huh? The OsX is usable but so is any windows OS... perhaps for you OsX is "more" usable but I would generalize that most people could use either without difficulty... I have used both Mac and PC Os and I haven't encountered any "more" problem than the other... but then I am talking about current generation of OS, windows did have a problem a decade ago but has since fixed many of the bugs... I haven't met any new bugs and this will be quite true for the general public... however for a developer that might be different but then we aren't talking about niche group of society... The IPad is really just a glorified Big Ipod Touch... if you want something more "usable", I suggest the Archos 9 as someone had already mentioned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,445,949 times
I believe Apple products are a positive aspect of life, period. This especially appreciated after 8 years of Bush. Apple is innovative, positive, and their products look good and work very well. I have an iPod and don't know what I'd do without it. I used to sell Macs and my daughter uses one for college. The iPad, like the iPod, I applaud.

Also great that I have a ton of Apple stock and now live near their headquarters.

Go Apple!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,071,588 times
This video is a riot, it's in german but there a captions with foul language if that offends you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,921,057 times
That was one of the funniest video I have seen... and oddly, the disappointment in the IPad is reflected in the video... one program at a time? Hahaha... I think I will either get the HP Slate or the Archos... much better choices for the same amount of money...

Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,204,803 times
If it's overpriced, let some other company introduce one that's cheaper and the market will decide. That's the foundation of free enterprise and capitalism, isn't it?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM

9,962 posts, read 18,544,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Are you saying PCs don't integrate hardware with software? Huh? The OsX is usable but so is any windows OS... perhaps for you OsX is "more" usable but I would generalize that most people could use either without difficulty... I have used both Mac and PC Os and I haven't encountered any "more" problem than the other... but then I am talking about current generation of OS, windows did have a problem a decade ago but has since fixed many of the bugs... I haven't met any new bugs and this will be quite true for the general public... however for a developer that might be different but then we aren't talking about niche group of society... The IPad is really just a glorified Big Ipod Touch... if you want something more "usable", I suggest the Archos 9 as someone had already mentioned...
Oh I am not going to get into personal religions with operating systems...I have been down that road way too many times.

Like what you like.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,071,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If it's overpriced, let some other company introduce one that's cheaper and the market will decide. That's the foundation of free enterprise and capitalism, isn't it?
That it is, I think the iPad will do pretty well despite it's name

Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,839,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
So let me get this straight - you have never owned a mac/apple product yet you hate them? If you have no use for them why do you care? Oh ya, probably because they tend to be far more cutting edge and take risks and push technology while the other companies wait in the shadows while they hand pick the products they want to copy and sell a lesser version of it to people like you. If sony, gateway, hp,etc, were actually inventing products instead of copying them you think there prices would be the cheapest. Commodore 64, i-pods, revolutionary graphics thru 90's, the modern mouse, GUI which is what Windows copied to come up with point click run programs, current laptop formats copied from the Powerbook - the I-phone the I-pod this new i-pad - wanting Apple to fail is like hoping technology progress of personal devices stops, or even just goes away. And yup some of their products fail in the meantime the other companies will sit quietly waiting to see which ones don't.....

Or perhaps you've misunderstood the way in which Apple acquires it's "advanced" technologies.

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2010/01/28/isteal-apple-s-ibook-copies-interface-from-third-party.aspx (broken link)

Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,352,977 times
One used to the iPad (iTampon?), is for doctors at hospitals, at least the ones who don't want to be carrying a laptop wherever they go. With the iPad all the have to do is to enter whichever data they want on their rounds with the patients, and then have the secretary (or themselves) downloading the data to their computers. As you may already know, there are several medical apps used with the iPhone and iPod Touch (heart monitoring, blood pressure, medication doses, and so forth), and these can now be used with the iPad, which by the way has a large screen when compared to the little things posted above. Instead of using an iPod for recording lectures at school, students can use the iPad to do the same, or to record it by typing the information. Similar tablets are very expensive. All Apple did was to introduce competition to the very expensive tablets on the market.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-29-2010 at 08:16 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:07 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,352,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I am certain that when the competition arrives, Apple will lower their prices. They did the same with the iPod, and iPhone. For the time being, Apple has around 145,000 apps for it, the Touch, and iPhone. This is a huge market, and even kids are creating and selling their apps every day, while others are free. Apps are sold or given free of charge at the iTunes store and other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets