Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:03 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times

Advertisements

I heard all the hoopla and the excitement. I have never been a big apple fan because I believe buying apple products is about peer pressure and what's in. I still think the I-phone has a teeny bopper foo-foo image and is designed for yuppy college students who haven't got a clue about life. Blackberrys on the other hand are sophisticated business devices. Again, my opinion.

So when the breaking news about the I-pad came out, I LAUGHED OUT LOUD as hard as I could...almost broke down in tears. I thought to myself, "can Apple be serious with this complete piece of junk ???....for 499 ??" WOW is all I can say. Seriously, mark my words...this will be the START of the downfall of Apple stock. What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Blasphemy (tech-edition) lol.

Its a matter of opinion, I feel they could've done a little more but its still a nice device imo. I just don't believe in the "Apple-Tax" that many of their products have.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:54 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
So let me get this straight - you have never owned a mac/apple product yet you hate them? If you have no use for them why do you care? Oh ya, probably because they tend to be far more cutting edge and take risks and push technology while the other companies wait in the shadows while they hand pick the products they want to copy and sell a lesser version of it to people like you. If sony, gateway, hp,etc, were actually inventing products instead of copying them you think there prices would be the cheapest. Commodore 64, i-pods, revolutionary graphics thru 90's, the modern mouse, GUI which is what Windows copied to come up with point click run programs, current laptop formats copied from the Powerbook - the I-phone the I-pod this new i-pad - wanting Apple to fail is like hoping technology progress of personal devices stops, or even just goes away. And yup some of their products fail in the meantime the other companies will sit quietly waiting to see which ones don't.....

Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
So let me get this straight - you have never owned a mac/apple product yet you hate them? If you have no use for them why do you care? Oh ya, probably because they tend to be far more cutting edge and take risks and push technology while the other companies wait in the shadows while they hand pick the products they want to copy and sell a lesser version of it to people like you. If sony, gateway, hp,etc, were actually inventing products instead of copying them you think there prices would be the cheapest. Commodore 64, i-pods, revolutionary graphics thru 90's, the modern mouse, GUI which is what Windows copied to come up with point click run programs, current laptop formats copied from the Powerbook - the I-phone the I-pod this new i-pad - wanting Apple to fail is like hoping technology progress of personal devices stops, or even just goes away. And yup some of their products fail in the meantime the other companies will sit quietly waiting to see which ones don't.....
I think you may have swallowed a bit too much of the Apple Kool-Aid. I don't think apple pioneered any of the technology you mention (just google XEROX PARC), they just take what's out there, put some thought in to the design, and release to a public all too willing to pay a premium for thoughtful design. To quote my favorite ever /. apple rant

They care about selling an image, a lifestyle, a brand. Nobody really buys a Mac because it's more useful than the alternatives. There's very little that Win\Linux\Mac can do that Win\Linux\Mac cannot, certainly not enough to justify the premium pricing. People buy Apple because they like to own Apple, they like to be an Apple guy or whatever they call themselves. This is a very powerful thing, and Apple is making extraordinary profits on slightly above average products by perpetuating the Apple culture.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think you may have swallowed a bit too much of the Apple Kool-Aid. I don't think apple pioneered any of the technology you mention (just google XEROX PARC), they just take what's out there, put some thought in to the design, and release to a public all too willing to pay a premium for thoughtful design. To quote my favorite ever /. apple rant
Ahhh so they suck because they tend to be at the front of making technology work for the everyday guy, yes, darn them, I hope they fail too. That would be good.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I have never been a big apple fan because I believe buying apple products is about peer pressure and what's in.
One can stop reading at the end of this sentence since the obvious bias is all to plain.

That said, why did you bother to comment at all?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
I don't think the price is bad at all. think about it:

Amazon Kindle: $250 or so
Sony e-reader: $150+ or so
B&N Nook: $250 or so
iPad: $500+

however, unlike the first 3, not only do you have an e-reader, but you have a device to watch movies on, play games, surf the net, and who knows what else. not bad pricing, too bad about needing to use AT&T (only thing keeping me from really loving it)

Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Ahhh so they suck because they tend to be at the front of making technology work for the everyday guy, yes, darn them, I hope they fail too. That would be good.
I never said they suck. They're really great at what they do, which is to make stuff that is thoughtfully designed. That snappy design comes with a hefty price tag and for most things I can't justify the additional expense, but I don't begrudge those who do. A Lexus is definitely better than a Toyota, but they both get me where I need to go. I'm not worse than the guy who buys a Lexus, but I'm certainly not claiming to be better.

What I don't get is people who defend or persecute apple above and beyond what they are. They don't cause cancer or murder small children, but they didn't invent the GUI. They're just a company that makes mid-to-high end consumer electronics.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM

75 posts, read 592,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I don't think the price is bad at all. think about it:

Amazon Kindle: $250 or so
Sony e-reader: $150+ or so
B&N Nook: $250 or so
iPad: $500+

however, unlike the first 3, not only do you have an e-reader, but you have a device to watch movies on, play games, surf the net, and who knows what else. not bad pricing, too bad about needing to use AT&T (only thing keeping me from really loving it)
Why not just get a laptop with a real OS....you could get a PC laptop for $500 with all those features you just mentioned

Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
Quote:
Oh ya, probably because they tend to be far more cutting edge and take risks and push technology while the other companies wait in the shadows while they hand pick the products they want to copy and sell a lesser version of it to people like you. If sony, gateway, hp,etc, were actually inventing products instead of copying them you think there prices would be the cheapest. Commodore 64, i-pods, revolutionary graphics thru 90's, the modern mouse, GUI which is what Windows copied to come up with point click run programs, current laptop formats copied from the Powerbook - the I-phone the I-pod this new i-pad - wanting Apple to fail is like hoping technology progress of personal devices stops, or even just goes away. And yup some of their products fail in the meantime the other companies will sit quietly waiting to see which ones don't.....

here are some tablets that were out before this oversized ipod touch:
1. archos 5 internet tablet

2. archos 9 tablet (160gb storage for about 800, compared to $820 for only 64gb ipad)

3. ICD brand tablet with Android OS

and there are more examples.
there were mp3 players before the ipod and touch screen cell phones before the iphone.
the only thing apple does is create great packaging for already existing devices, and mass marketing them. not denying any of their vast improvements on already existing technology (such as multitouch for the touch screen phone) or a more user friendly UI, and safari is still the best web browser i've used.. but ultimately they just improved on things that already existed.
people were willing to overlook all the shortcomings of the original iPhone because of how pretty it looked and how user friendly the whole UI was.
it didnt matter if it didn't copy and paste, no voice memo/voice recording, voice dialing, no MMS, no video recording, no removable battery, no bluetooth, no multitasking, no landscape keyboard, no 3G compatibility, no WiFi, no GPS... essentially all the common features found on smartphones were missing on the iPhone, but hey, it looked cool right? totally worth spending 500-600$ on an ipod that can make calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets