Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,692,111 times

Advertisements

1. How absorbent is it?
2. Does it have wings and/or breathable layers and soft dri-weave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,857,402 times
Careful. Tightwad does not appreciate humor at the expense of Apple. Any Windows based yes. Apple, no.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,737,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Careful. Tightwad does not appreciate humor at the expense of Apple. Any Windows based yes. Apple, no.
Now that's not right! I do appreciate light hearted humor for any computer just not the open attacks on the Apple brand name since those are all personal in nature not fact based.

Heck, I used PC's for 30+ years at work and got along fine. Didn't like'm but got along fine anyway.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,857,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Now that's not right! I do appreciate light hearted humor for any computer just not the open attacks on the Apple brand name since those are all personal in nature not fact based.

Heck, I used PC's for 30+ years at work and got along fine. Didn't like'm but got along fine anyway.
I might have believed that until this thread. You got pretty uptight about the "odd" names people were coming up with. It was all in fun, and not meant as an attack on Apple in any way.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:49 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,737,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I might have believed that until this thread. You got pretty uptight about the "odd" names people were coming up with. It was all in fun, and not meant as an attack on Apple in any way.
"it" may have been all in fun but "it" was not on topic which is what we all agree to when we sign up for forums like this. "All in fun" often hijacks a thread.

All I ask was to return to the topic at hand no more no less............

Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,692,111 times
My two cents is that it could be good for some jobs like inventory taking or something like that. I can't see using this thing in my personal life even if I wasn't prejudiced against the fruit. I really dislike touchscreens. I will say that it might be cool to have one of these on a plane. I really hate watching vids on an iPod because the screen is too small.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,306,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
It'll be a nice paper weight. Too big to fit in your pocket, and can't do everything a laptop could do. Why waste the money when there other devices that can do the same thing?
As stated, it is not meant to be anything more than it is. Apple knows better than to release anything that will resemble a netbook in any manner, which is what most hoped that the iPad would be.

The iPad is geared towards college students. eBook readers have become rather popular and the iPhone and iPod Touch have a few apps to read such items, including ebooks from Amazon. What Apple has that Kindle, Kook, and the other one don't have is the ability to read comic books and non-linear books, such as textbooks. The problem is that the iPhone and iPod Touch do not have the ideal screen size to read a book, let alone a graphic novel.

The e-graphic novel world is looking pretty promising and publishers are looking for a better platform for these types of books. The two largest textbook publishers are planning on publishing their catalogs in ebook format beginning next year. The iPad is not the only tablet on the market, there are currently, what, seven of them, but Apple is banking on the idea that they will move ahead of the pack with college kids and the e-textbook market due to the popularity of the iPod Touch and iPhone and the 'low' price of the cheapest iPad.

The only real drawback is that with the 3G model, you must go through AT&T, but at least they are allowing you to pay as you go. But I am sure that there will be a hack for that. Well, the other drawback is that it uses the same OS as the iPhone, which is a stripped down version of OSX. At least the two Windows-based tablets use the full version of Windows 7, but like I said, Apple does not want users to use the iPad as a 'netbook'.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM

51 posts, read 88,074 times
Like some of you said, the iPad will be great for certain professionals. However, regular teens and typical people should just stick to a laptop or iPod. I think it's pretty neat, I thought about getting one but I'm trying to control myself.

I just bought a macbook pro on Monday after kicking my old Dell to the floor... oh do I miss it!

I know quite a few people who are anxiously waiting for it to be released for sale and other who are extremely disappointed. To sum it all up, people will still buy it because thats how capitalism works!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,375,897 times
Apple is getting ready to sell TV shows for $1.00 each, and some people will probably sit somewhere awy from the computer and watch the show on their iPad, since the screen is much larger than an iPod or iPhone. I could see students using this gadget in college where WI-FI can be quite fast.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:32 AM

919 posts, read 3,405,110 times
While I'm fine with my current gear and am not going to run out and buy one in the near future, I can see the iPad being a great product for a number of people:

- Certain professions, as mentioned previously.

- The company where I work has a national salesforce who are getting these as they can take them to a client meeting and demo products in just a few seconds, versus firing up a laptop. Highly portable - any photos, video, apps all load instantly.

- It'll also be a great tool for small business owners in certain segments. For couples planning a wedding, for example, they have to meet with a bunch of possible vendors. Potential videographers, florists, DJs, decorators, photographers, etc. could all have an iPad to show their highlights - rather than lugging in giant photo albums, video tapes, etc.

- There's one university already equipping all students with them. Imagine not having to haul around a bag of textbooks. Imagine digital textbooks that are interactive and always updated.

- For people who travel a lot, this is perfect for watching movies on the plane, in an airport, etc.

- For gamers, play anywhere and on a decent sized screen. And not just shoot-em-up games. You can load it up with digital Monopoly, Chess, Backgammon... 5, 50, 500 board games in one.

- You don't have to buy a phone plan. If you have wifi in your home, for example, you can check email in the bathroom, watch a recipe video in the kitchen, or stream a TV show or music while sitting in the back yard. I do these things on a laptop, but a light, thin device with no plugs would be simpler.

- I'm a PC/laptop user and Blackberry keyboard puncher, so I understand the negatives with touch screen. But I also have an iPod Touch and it's pretty easy to adapt behaviors. While the iPad might not be something you'd want to use to write a novel, the flip side is that you can learn to play the piano or guitar on it. Or edit photos with finger strokes. For every one thing you'd "rather" do on a different device, the iPad delivers something new you'd not want to do with a keyboard or mouse.

- I've got mixed feelings on the walled garden aspects of Apple. They can be a pain. They deny stuff. But they've also unleashed a lot of creative development. Overall, they provide a platform and provide an avenue for thousands of developers to design and offer creative uses and applications that they could never build themselves.

- They've sold 40-50 million or so iPhones and iPod Touches in the past 20 months, despite being new to many markets (China) or limited to certain carriers (AT&T in the US). Relative newbies. They only have to sell 5 million iPads to make $2.5 Billion. Gotta give some props to Mr. Jobs for his business savvy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets