Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times

Advertisements

This review of the new ipad from "Macworld" magazine.......

" the iPad doesn’t fit neatly into Apple’s existing product line. Combine that with the rush to declare this device either a dream (“It’s revolutionary and magical!”) or a dud (“It’s nothing more than an oversized iPod!”) before Apple has even shipped a single device, and you’ve got an atmosphere ripe for more confusion than clarity.'

The iPad: What you need to know | Mobile Mac | Macworld

With all the naysayers and Apple/Mac haters I figured a little truth and facts couldn't hurt just now. It sure seems funny that all the PC fans are in a big hurry to get their licks in to disrespect on this new Apple product well before any real facts about the ipad are known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
With all the naysayers and Apple/Mac haters I figured a little truth and facts couldn't hurt just now. It sure seems funny that all the PC fans are in a big hurry to get their licks in to disrespect on this new Apple product well before any real facts about the ipad are known.
FWIW, I know quite a few PC users who find the iPad intriguing, and I also know more than one Mac user who is skeptical about it, so the lines aren't always drawn along product loyalty lines.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
FWIW, I know quite a few PC users who find the iPad intriguing, and I also know more than one Mac user who is skeptical about it, so the lines aren't always drawn along product loyalty lines.
True enough. It's just that most of the ipad gab on CD has been so negative from people who ,I'd bet, don't know much at all about the ipad.

Wanted to get some facts out there for all to read and decide on for themselves.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,190,842 times
It'll be a nice paper weight. Too big to fit in your pocket, and can't do everything a laptop could do. Why waste the money when there other devices that can do the same thing?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
It'll be a nice paper weight. Too big to fit in your pocket, and can't do everything a laptop could do. Why waste the money when there other devices that can do the same thing?
Perhaps you are missing the point. Electronic pads aren't designed to be placed in your pocket, nor are they laptop computers. You use a pad to record data about patients (for example), and then download the data to a computer later in the day. They can also be used to download information to the computer via WI-FI. A pad can be used to monitor heart functions, medicine doses, and a lot of other things. Not all pads use the processors used in computers, and those that do are a lot more expensive.

The iPad is nothing more than an electronic pad like other electronic pads used a hospitals and such, except that the iPod Touch features, and WI-FI makes it a lot more interesting. Some of the electronic pads used a hospitals cost from $1,800 to $4,000, so the iPad would make sense from an economic point of view. For example, at a clinic where the doctor does not want to spend a lot of money for an electronic pad.

Take a look at another electronic pad (the price is near the bottom of the page, left side):
C5 Mobile Clinical Assistant Tablet Computers

Old 02-02-2010, 07:24 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
RayinAK,

Thank you. I just didn't see any reason for this device until you explained it. In all the talk, online articles, here on CD, no one has said what it was to be used for except as some cool gadget for Apple fans.

Nice to hear from someone who knows what's going on. Reps!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,087 times
I think the iPad will be a great tool for certain types of professions (like small doctor's offices). although general tablet PC's seem to be doing a fine job in the better setup offices. The place it will really shine is home automation - imagine being able to control your thermostat, kitchen appliances, TV, stereo, lighting, etc. all from a touchscreen with a nice interface. It will also be good for basic web browsing / IM / facebooking - when you just want to look something up or fire off a quick note. Anything more than that, and you go use the family computer. Today, the best you have is a large and clunky laptop that either takes forever to boot up or, if you leave it on, sucks down a lot of electricity just to stay alive. Or, a netbook which can't really do much of anything besides eat up $300. I don't see the iPad being very mobile, except for mass transit commuters - too big for a pocket or average woman's purse, too small for its own normal laptop bag... its just too awkward to move around with.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
A few good reads re the iPad:

iPad: Overhyped Flop or a case of Great Design Thinking? « emergent by design

Fraser Speirs - Blog - Future*Shock

Keep in mind that just as today's iPod is much different than the original one released in 2001, and the latest iPhone 3GS is much better than the original released in 2007, what we see in this iPad is first generation.
The best is yet to come.

I just find it amusing that the exact same 'experts' that predicted the quick doom of the iPhone in 2007 are also calling the iPod 'FAIL'.

Only time will tell, but I see this as a platform for stellar new apps allowing people to work in ways they have not thought of yet.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
The applications above (medical, home automation) are pretty small niches. That's not the kind of thing a consumer electronics company like apple likely has in mind when developing the ipad. Its too small of a market to move millions of units.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
I think iPad is too similar to iPod in terms of names
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets