Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 04:01 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I would definitely go to court and fight it. I would fight it even if I were the driver and I would claim it must have malfunctioned. They may show you video of the driver and it may even show the traffic light changing to red and I would say.....see there it definitely malfunctioned because I know I did not run that light. Flip it on them to prove it did not malfunction. Every thing electronic malfunctions at times and I am sure a traffic camera is no different so why not at least go fight it? You can also appeal it to the next higher court which will get you out of city court and they are more likely to throw it out because a silly traffic camera ticket isn't worth much of the court's time.
In my case, there was a video. There was no "malfunction" claim to be made.
That being said, I've fought several tickets in the past and won for various reasons, so it's worth a shot if one has time to spare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 07:14 PM

76 posts, read 90,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I was driving my buddy's van when I got clipped by a red light camera. My buddy was sent the ticket and was able to get the ticket thrown out because in the photo it was very clear that it wasn't him driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I went to court, trying to argue that my then-wife and SIL normally drives the vehicle. The pictures clearly showed me behind the wheel. Judge chuckled. I chuckled. Ticket stood, because we could all see me as the driver. I had to pay $160. (As stated above, there was actually a video too.)

Did that really need elaboration?
Mine was at night and I got tinted windows, so they can't see who the driver was.

I'm just saying, can I simply say my roommate was driving it and they will just send him the ticket and I'm off the hook? What happens if he doesn't respond and pay the ticket?

or

Do I need more proof to be off the hook, like having my roommate respond and admit to it and actually pay the ticket before I'm off the hook?

Old 02-22-2024, 07:24 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qzaa3 View Post
Mine was at night and I got tinted windows, so they can't see who the driver was.

I'm just saying, can I simply say my roommate was driving it and they will just send him the ticket and I'm off the hook? What happens if he doesn't respond and pay the ticket?

or

Do I need more proof to be off the hook, like having my roommate respond and admit to it and actually pay the ticket before I'm off the hook?
I would be careful about relying on others to settle this, as if they don’t, you’ll be the one the warrant is issued for when it’s not paid.

RM

Old 02-22-2024, 11:59 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I went to court, trying to argue that my then-wife and SIL normally drives the vehicle. The pictures clearly showed me behind the wheel. Judge chuckled. I chuckled. Ticket stood, because we could all see me as the driver. I had to pay $160. (As stated above, there was actually a video too.)

Did that really need elaboration?
The post I was confusing...wasn't clear who you were suggesting should fight the ticket. This "elaboration" did clarify that you were suggesting the OP fight it, not you. Even though you chose to fight one of yours anyway, wasting everyone's time

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-22-2024 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-22-2024, 02:30 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The post I was confusing...wasn't clear who you were suggesting should fight the ticket. This "elaboration" did clarify that you were suggesting the OP fight it, not you. Even though you chose to fight one of yours anyway, wasting everyone's time
LOL. Who else would I be suggesting fight the ticket? The judge? OP asked if he should fight it, and I said "worth the fight."

I chose to fight it... Because I've fought several other similar tickets before (such as parking) and won. I didn't intentionally plow through a red light. Speed limit was 55, and as I neared in my huge SUV, the light turned yellow. There was no way I'd have come to a full stop before the line without giving everyone in the vehicle massive whiplashes and screeching tires, so I went through. Truth be told, it was BS, because not even a cop would pull you over for this. In MANY jurisdictions, these tickets constantly get thrown out. So, yeah, I chose to fight mine. Only ticket I ever took to court and lost. Took all of 5 minutes of the judge's time by the way, if that.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:39 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Never got one.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:10 AM

76 posts, read 90,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I would be careful about relying on others to settle this, as if they don’t, you’ll be the one the warrant is issued for when it’s not paid.

RM
Yeah, I don't trust anyone either. I was just curiously to know how it works, or if anyone have gotten off just by saying someone else was driving without providing solid proof like an admission by that person.

I mean, anyone can just say xyz was driving the car instead of them and avoid paying the fine.

So, if I say xyz was driving and gave the courts that person's name, address and phone, do they contact them to get an admission and guilt before I'm off the hook?

and

What if the xyz don't respond, it's the responsbility back to me now?

I'm sure this situation has played out, just wanted to know what happens in this situation.

Thanks,

Old 02-23-2024, 11:30 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
By the way, the one time I did get a red light camera I read over the statute and was surprised… It’s illegal to enter an intersection after the light is red, but it doesn’t appear to be illegal if the light changes to red and you’re already in the intersection. I always thought you had to clear the intersection before the light changed, and that would make sense, but it doesn’t read that way.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:15 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
By the way, the one time I did get a red light camera I read over the statute and was surprised… It’s illegal to enter an intersection after the light is red, but it doesn’t appear to be illegal if the light changes to red and you’re already in the intersection. I always thought you had to clear the intersection before the light changed, and that would make sense, but it doesn’t read that way.

You have to clear the commitment line, which is the line painted where you would stop.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:46 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times

They give red-light camera tickets in the "Free State of Florida"????? Ya don't say.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay