Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 10:42 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,722,728 times

Advertisements

In my old district, you were forbidden for taking the day off before a holiday break, but here, people do it all the time without any penalty. So of course, we are short-handed just before the holiday. Our idiot superintendent made a surprise visit on the day before Thanksgiving, one hour before quitting time. She got angry that there were so few people there, not so much the staff but that there were very few students present. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 06:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,716,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Oh yeah. A lot of people take off the day before a break.

Does your leave not accrue?
Not allowed here. The calendar blocks out days before a major holiday or after one.

For example, last week, Friday was a holiday. If you had taken Thursday or Monday, you needed a doctor's note to present to the principal.

We accrue sick time. 3 personal days a year as well. I need to use my 3 days before I can't because the school year is drawing to a quick end.

The absent list at work keeps getting longer and longer because everyone is getting burnt out before Spring Break.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,331,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Not allowed here. The calendar blocks out days before a major holiday or after one.

For example, last week, Friday was a holiday. If you had taken Thursday or Monday, you needed a doctor's note to present to the principal.

We accrue sick time. 3 personal days a year as well. I need to use my 3 days before I can't because the school year is drawing to a quick end.

The absent list at work keeps getting longer and longer because everyone is getting burnt out before Spring Break.
I see. When you wrote "I need to squeeze in a personal day or sick day before I lose it", I thought you lost sick too. Our unused personal l rolls into sick.

I've started to use a bit more of my leave too. I have around 1,020 hours saved and with little incentive to save so much I figure I may as well. I took off last Tuesday as a sick day and Friday was the personal day. I'll used two more personal days between now and the end of June.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
In my old district, you were forbidden for taking the day off before a holiday break, but here, people do it all the time without any penalty. So of course, we are short-handed just before the holiday. Our idiot superintendent made a surprise visit on the day before Thanksgiving, one hour before quitting time. She got angry that there were so few people there, not so much the staff but that there were very few students present. Duh.
I subbed at a district yesterday that is off all next week and the following Monday. They have trouble getting subs. During morning announcements, they listed the absent teachers whose classes would be going to the auditorium for study hall instead of going to their regular class. All teachers with study halls and prep times were to go to the auditorium to monitor students. I heard kids in the halls say they had three or four study halls in a row in the auditorium. I never saw the principal so he may have also taken the day off.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I see. When you wrote "I need to squeeze in a personal day or sick day before I lose it", I thought you lost sick too. Our unused personal l rolls into sick.

I've started to use a bit more of my leave too. I have around 1,020 hours saved and with little incentive to save so much I figure I may as well. I took off last Tuesday as a sick day and Friday was the personal day. I'll used two more personal days between now and the end of June.
Friday brain fart, sorry... .

Our personal days do not roll over. Use or lose.

Either way, I think, I'm leaving education this year so I hope I can cash out my sick time.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:46 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,610,335 times
Quote:

Either way, I think, I'm leaving education this year so I hope I can cash out my sick time.
That sucks! Ours roll to sick time.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:

That's what we can't do. We can't "cash out" unused sick leave. I do get service credit when I retire, but it's still not much of an incentive to hold on to so much of it.

My wife started teaching after I did. Under the newer plan an employee completely forfeits any unused leave when they leave the system.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,565,760 times
Quote:
That's what we can't do. We can't "cash out" unused sick leave. I do get service credit when I retire, but it's still not much of an incentive to hold on to so much of it.

My wife started teaching after I did. Under the newer plan an employee completely forfeits any unused leave when they leave the system.

We forfeit our unused accrued leave too. You'd think we'd get something for not using it but no. By not using sick time we save them the cost of a sub for the days we didn't use. I have 50 days accrued. That's 50 subs they didn't pay. You'd think they'd split the difference with me. I'm not going to waste them in case I need them but it kind of sucks that I'm saving them money by not using them and I can't even get a step increase in pay. The going rate for a sub in my district is $95/day. Teachers who don't use sick days are a major cost save for the district.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:58 PM

Good information. I need to look into that then. If so, time to start taking a couple days a week now since we just have 8 weeks left.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We forfeit our unused accrued leave too. You'd think we'd get something for not using it but no. By not using sick time we save them the cost of a sub for the days we didn't use. I have 50 days accrued. That's 50 subs they didn't pay. You'd think they'd split the difference with me. I'm not going to waste them in case I need them but it kind of sucks that I'm saving them money by not using them and I can't even get a step increase in pay. The going rate for a sub in my district is $95/day. Teachers who don't use sick days are a major cost save for the district.
I have the equivalent of 136 days saved. We use our first 20 before short term disability starts and that then turns to long term, so it's good to have at least 20 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching