Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:01 PM

20 posts, read 33,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Back in the days, when each primary school room had its own toilet, I wet my pants after my teacher told me I could not go. She paddled me. It was the only time that I was ever paddled. I have never forgotten my outrage, but I have forgotten what happened next.

Needless to say, I am sympathetic to students who really need to go to the restroom. I have a saying that I use after I tell a student No: No puddles and no piles. Sometimes when they say that they have to throw up, I'll add, No chunks. My point is that the child (my students are in high school) should know better than to wet him/herself and should walk out if the alternative is a puddle. If they are caught by an administrator, they are on their own. Almost none abuse it. The administrators take care of the ones who do.
I am so sorry that happen to you. I teach elementary so students aren't as keen to "walk out" per say . Even if they wanted to, they couldn't. Our school created a policy last year after Sandy Hook that requires all classroom doors be locked from the inside and outside. Teachers are to keep the room key on their person. If a student must leave the room, a teacher has to unlock the door for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,757,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Not sure how it works in education, but in health care you are required to report all forms of abuse. Letting children sit in urine soaked clothing is a form of neglect. By keeping quiet, you may be implicated. You need to speak to the Principal immediately.
We teachers likewise have a mandate to report child abuse and neglect.

REPORT ASAP!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,678,940 times
Can I ask why you want to remain anonymous? This is a horrible person and should not be anywhere near children. If shoe is willing to do this, who knows what she is willing to subject the kids to. This is only what you know about.

I would talk to the nurse or wherever these end up when she lets them leave. I don't know how you can stay anonymous, though. You need to relay the conversation you had with her otherwise your complaint may not be taken seriously.

Let us know what happens.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Can I ask why you want to remain anonymous? This is a horrible person and should not be anywhere near children. If she is willing to do this, who knows what she is willing to subject the kids to. This is only what you know about.

I would talk to the nurse or wherever these end up when she lets them leave. I don't know how you can stay anonymous, though. You need to relay the conversation you had with her otherwise your complaint may not be taken seriously.

Let us know what happens.
This is the problem. I'm afraid my complaints would fall on deaf ears if I told admin that. The reason for me wishing to remain anonymous is in case this backfires. Such an accusation would require factual proof. Unfortunately, our nurse is clueless and doesn't keep track of the class the kids are coming from. She believes there is some bladder virus going around . All she does is give them temporary clothes and sends them back to class while she washes their original clothes. Once the clothes are washed, she sends her aid to call them back to her station. This might explain why none of the parents seem to know about their children having accidents. Tomorrow, we will be having a small staff meeting between the principal and the fourth grade teachers. I will definitely try and mention this to the principle. Any further advice is welcomed.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,994,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Teacher View Post
This is the problem. I'm afraid my complaints would fall on deaf ears if I told admin that. The reason for me wishing to remain anonymous is in case this backfires. Such an accusation would require factual proof. Unfortunately, our nurse is clueless and doesn't keep track of the class the kids are coming from. She believes there is some bladder virus going around . All she does is give them temporary clothes and sends them back to class while she washes their original clothes. Once the clothes are washed, she sends her aid to call them back to her station. This might explain why none of the parents seem to know about their children having accidents. Tomorrow, we will be having a small staff meeting between the principal and the fourth grade teachers. I will definitely try and mention this to the principle. Any further advice is welcomed.
Okay, I still would report it. What was your response when the teacher confided in you? If you didn't correct your coworker, you are now just as responsible. Soiled clothing can quickly cause skin breakdown. I find this beyond belief that this situation hasn't been addressed. Plus, shaming children to walk around their classmates that way is totally wrong!!!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Sometimes teachers have to bite the bullet and do what needs to be done regardless of the price - this is one of those times. Yes, taking away your class time may have fixed the outward issue- kids with wet pants. It does not fix the real problem, a person who finds perverse pleasure in a child's pain and who definitely has no business in education. Consider this too, if this comes out some other way and it was found that you knew all along and did nothing about it, your inaction may come back to bite you in the butt. Were I one of those parents in that situation, I'd want your head too.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Okay, I still would report it. What was your response when the teacher confided in you? If you didn't correct your coworker, you are now just as responsible. Soiled clothing can quickly cause skin breakdown. I find this beyond belief that this situation hasn't been addressed. Plus, shaming children to walk around their classmates that way is totally wrong!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Sometimes teachers have to bite the bullet and do what needs to be done regardless of the price - this is one of those times. Yes, taking away your class time may have fixed the outward issue- kids with wet pants. It does not fix the real problem, a person who finds perverse pleasure in a child's pain and who definitely has no business in education. Consider this too, if this comes out some other way and it was found that you knew all along and did nothing about it, your inaction may come back to bite you in the butt. Were I one of those parents in that situation, I'd want your head too.
You both are definately right. I will bring this issue up with the principle tomorrow. Kharing, to answer your question, my initial reaction was total shock. I immediately told her not to treat our students that way and informed her of the district child abuse policy. She apologized and told me it was a mistake because she didn't know if the students were trying to cut class. She then told me it wouldn't happen again. Since this is her first year teaching, I took her word on it. She clearly broke my trust because in the following weeks, she caused 4 more accidents.

Last edited by Concerned Teacher; 10-31-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 06:22 PM

595 posts, read 2,704,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Teacher View Post

OMG?! Are you kidding me? What is this? The keystone cops version of an elementary?

By all means report, however you need to, this very sorry excuse for a human being. If my child had an accident at school and I didn't find out about it, you better believe I would have choice words for both the teacher AND the principal. And that is me being polite and classy on a message board.

Honestly, the real me would go full Jersey on both of them. ;-)

Report it. Period.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:18 PM

144 posts, read 183,118 times
OP, before you go and report this teacher, make sure that you have enough proof to stand behind. If this really is a first year teacher, I would try and get her more training. Accidents are pretty common with first year primary school teachers. Lets not ruin a young lady's career over a few accidents. Give her another chance. Nobody is perfect

Old 10-31-2013, 07:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,762,137 times
Report him now! These are children being abused, you shouldn't be questioning it or waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching