Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In Michigan they have a system that covers wide geographical areas. Schools sign up for the system, subs sign up for the system. If a school has a need, they contact the system and it contacts potential subs until it finds someone. It calls the people on the list at 5:30 a.m. plays a recording of the opportunity and the sub punches 1 or 2 for yes or no and that is it. Schools are allowed to contact preferred subs directly, sometimes they call on Sunday in order to get a jump on other schools for popular subs.

There is no real shortage, but there are few subs in the system who do much more than babysitting. That is not terribly surprising given the pay is less than $100 a day.
In my area, the sub is expected to actually teach (at least follow the lessons that the regular teacher left for you). If you just acted like a "babysitter, you would be immediately removed from the sub list for that school or school district. When I left subbing two years ago, subs made $100 to $125 per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have a friend who subs occasionally and says she likes it. She said there was only 4 hours of training given to subs in her district though.

(snip)
We actually have very limited training as subs, too, but in my state you have to have at least a four year college degree from a teacher training program. While you don't have to be a licensed teacher, almost 100% of the subs in my area either have a current teaching license or had one in the past.

I have read that some states allow anyone with a four year college degree to sub and, at least a couple of years ago, a few, isolated places you only had to have a HS diploma to sub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 05:37 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
My area is pretty much the same as germaine. While full time teachers are well-paid, subs only get about $100 per day, except in NYC where they pay $175 per day and the requirements are different. Otherwise, it used to be that only fully certified teachers could sub in the public schools. Some local districts have loosened the requirements to a bachelor's degree plus fingerprinting and the mandated courses in child abuse, anti-bullying, etc. Subs have to pay for all of that out of pocket. There is no shortage of subs in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching