Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,106,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Maybe they'd pass me over as too old, but maybe not. In one college class (a community college some years ago) the instructor was in her late 40s. She had just graduated from college and it was her first course teaching. I've had employers not hire me over my lifetime for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it is just a bad fit, sometimes much worse. I have no doubt some won't hire me due to age, but it could also be due to some other reason.
So if you have the burning desire to continue your education go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I recently retired after teaching HS physics for 21 years.

I would discourage almost anyone from entering the teaching profession in the foreseeable future, and it has nothing at all to do with your age.

I loved teaching for the first 14 years. Over the last 7, it gradually worsened each year, with mounds of time consuming, counterproductive, administrativia that improved no student's learning by one iota, yet became an increasing burden.

You'd find that legislators and bureaucrats now view teachers as some sort of public enemy, or so it seems. They're continually attempting to cut benefits and finding ways to shove senior teachers (who are higher on the salary scale) out the door in order to hire cheap placeholders from programs like "Teach for America." And it worked. I gleefully retired about 2 nanoseconds after I reached eligibility.

I enjoyed interacting with the kids and 99% of their parents right up to the end. But I found myself hating to walk in the door the last couple of years, due to what I've pointed out above.

My former principal contacts me occasionally, asking me to come back.

No way in h*ll would I consider it.

That's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.
So just because you had a miserable experience nobody else should teach?

Projection issues 101?

Be grateful you had a job that had excellent benefits, compared to what many of the students will get when they graduate from high school and get retail or other working class jobs.

Teach for America has had a massive drop in applicants and is even having to close centers. Dropping recent graduates with no background in education in the worst schools just wasn't working.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:42 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,465,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So just because you had a miserable experience nobody else should teach?
Let me clear up your obvious confusion. Two things:

1) Nowhere did I opine that no one should teach.
2) I made clear that I enjoyed the teaching. The silly, ever-growing, wrong-headed micromanaging combined with eroding benefits and an increasingly hostile bureaucracy made the past 7 years incrementally less attractive.
Quote:
Projection issues 101?
Your issue. Not mine.
Quote:
Be grateful you had a job that had excellent benefits, compared to what many of the students will get when they graduate from high school and get retail or other working class jobs.
And your comparison of HS grads working in retail with teaching HS is valid because...

Quote:
Teach for America has had a massive drop in applicants and is even having to close centers. Dropping recent graduates with no background in education in the worst schools just wasn't working.
TFA is widely used to undercut certified teachers. TFA positions are considerably less costly to school districts, who seem eager to cut all expenses associated with classrooms in order to maximize resources for central office administrators.

If your experience in teaching has been somewhat different than mine, by all means please elaborate.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:

1) Nowhere did I opine that no one should teach.
"I would discourage almost anyone from entering the teaching profession in the foreseeable future, and it has nothing at all to do with your age. "

It sounds like you were opining right there that no one should teach because of your PERSONAL experiences.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
"I would discourage almost anyone from entering the teaching profession in the foreseeable future, and it has nothing at all to do with your age. "

It sounds like you were opining right there that no one should teach because of your PERSONAL experiences.
Interesting how you misinterpret my advice as a desire to prohibit teaching.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:

And your comparison of HS grads working in retail with teaching HS is valid because...
Compared to many other professions teachers have a good deal. Great benefits, not many hours, lots of time off (one has the time to have other jobs or other interests).

So it's very valid, as you made it seem like teaching was worst job available. It isn't.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:19 PM

You're just full of all kinds of interesting misreadings.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,280,408 times
Quote:
Compared to many other professions teachers have a good deal. Great benefits, not many hours, lots of time off (one has the time to have other jobs or other interests).

So it's very valid, as you made it seem like teaching was worst job available. It isn't.
Have you ever been a teacher in a public school system? If so, tell us about it.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Have you ever been a teacher in a public school system? If so, tell us about it.
What does this have to do with anything?

You can look at the hours and salaries and work conditions of teachers.

They don't make the lowest wages, have excellent benefits, and compared to most other professions have a lot of time off (and they can pursue other interests and jobs if they want to).

I personally have known many teachers who have had side careers.

Are there challenges to being a teacher? Of course, but those exist in EVERY profession and every career.

Is it frustrating at times? I'm sure, but the same for any other career path/job.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:55 AM

It's OK.

You can freely admit that you've never taught a single day, if that's the case.

There's no penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching