Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 05:01 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Suing is not needed often and letter from lawyer is enough to get school to back down especially if it's teacher /principal idea. School district do not want to spend money on lawyers especially with limit budget that many schools have. Also the school I attended, parents were wealthy enough to hire a law firm if needed and school district obviously knew that. Lastly this would not be frivolous lawsuit so that would not work
Yes, it is frivolous. You, and others like you, are part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 06:20 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Suing is not needed often and letter from lawyer is enough to get school to back down especially if it's teacher /principal idea. School district do not want to spend money on lawyers especially with limit budget that many schools have. Also the school I attended, parents were wealthy enough to hire a law firm if needed and school district obviously knew that. Lastly this would not be frivolous lawsuit so that would not work
You would have to pay that lawyer to write the letter, so you’ll be paying a couple hundred right off the bat in your attempt to stop your kid from picking up the trash around their desk.

Most school systems have contracts with law firms that specialize in education law and those contracts have a certain level of included legal services at no extra cost. Your frivolous lawsuit threat letter would fit in that category. What the school systems would be concerned about when receiving a letter such as you are threatening is potential bad press. A teacher requiring your child to puck up their trash from the floor is unlikely to cause outrage by the community, so that is a no go.

It would be a frivolous lawsuit, and that means you’d be writing a check to the school system for legal fees. There is a school system in Wisconsin that just received over $24,000 for legal fees from a parent who sued over some nonsense. Is it worth thousands to you for your kid to not pick up trash around his desk?

You do not write like someone education in the United States.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:44 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You would have to pay that lawyer to write the letter, so you’ll be paying a couple hundred right off the bat in your attempt to stop your kid from picking up the trash around their desk.

Most school systems have contracts with law firms that specialize in education law and those contracts have a certain level of included legal services at no extra cost. Your frivolous lawsuit threat letter would fit in that category. What the school systems would be concerned about when receiving a letter such as you are threatening is potential bad press. A teacher requiring your child to puck up their trash from the floor is unlikely to cause outrage by the community, so that is a no go.

It would be a frivolous lawsuit, and that means you’d be writing a check to the school system for legal fees. There is a school system in Wisconsin that just received over $24,000 for legal fees from a parent who sued over some nonsense. Is it worth thousands to you for your kid to not pick up trash around his desk?

I have lawyer in the family so legal letters I get very cheap, just cost of lunch. Regarding frivolous allegation, for lawsuit to be frivolous it must designed to harass or otherwise not have legal merit. In this case lawsuit would be over violation of child manual labor law. You can't make child do janitorial duty without parents permission being they are minor and some type of compensation.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I have lawyer in the family so legal letters I get very cheap, just cost of lunch. Regarding frivolous allegation, for lawsuit to be frivolous it must designed to harass or otherwise not have legal merit. In this case lawsuit would be over violation of child manual labor law. You can't make child do janitorial duty without parents permission being they are minor and some type of compensation.
You might want to review child labor laws. Schools are not violating child labor laws for requiring students perform some basic chores at school.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

I remember in elementary school we helped in the cafeteria wiping tables and handing out milk and some food. Clapping erasers was another classroom chore we were given. Caught putting your gum under the desk then you were scraping gum off all the desk. I was a kid when I was being paid to mow the neighbor’s lawn. The time and duration of the work made it legal.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/cl/default.htm

Find the part that says participating in classroom cleaning is against the law and post the direct quote and link here.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/cl/default.htm

Find the part that says participating in classroom cleaning is against the law and post the direct quote and link here.
Just because it's not listed ther, doesn't mean one can't sue over it

Old 08-31-2019, 08:17 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Just because it's not listed ther, doesn't mean one can't sue over it
It’s not considered child labor any more than picking their socks off the floor at your house. It would be so cool if you sued the school over “child labor law violations” and your kid in a couple of years used your suit as part of their proof that you knowingly violated child law laws when they sue you for having to clean their room.

Quote:
The school’s lawyer will be more than lunch.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:45 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Picking up stuff from floor means you're getting bacteria on your hands which mean hands need to be washed. Janitors have proper tools to pick up trash from the floor called broom and dustpan. Which is why it's their job to clean classroom mess and not students even if just for few piece of paper.
OMG you’ve got to be kidding me! Picking up paper does not require PPE!

Old 09-01-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Well you’ve got it all figured out. I hope you’re not really like this in real life. I also feel sorry for your highly entitled child. They’re in for a rude awakening when the real world hits them in the face.
Just because kids legally required to attend school doesn't mean teachers and principal get to boss kids around. Like I said in my original post, there are staff that get paid to do this type of work that are called janitors. It's their job to clean mess kids make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching