Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:18 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,353,547 times

Advertisements

And if everyone walked out, and were home-schooled and autodidactic, there would be no need for a walkout .... or an "educational" bureaucracy .... or teachers' unions .... or high taxes ..... or school violence .... or ....

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-18-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 10:40 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,611,443 times
I haven’t even heard about this, but seeing as how we have no union to protect our jobs I’ll be staying inside.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
Mod note - Let's keep this thread on the discussion of the potential walk out itself and not get into politics. I've deleted one comment that would have hi-jacked the thread. As a side note- I think that an actual date has not been set, in fact I just heard a date of March 24 for a Washington March instead.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:19 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,332,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Mod note - Let's keep this thread on the discussion of the potential walk out itself and not get into politics. I've deleted one comment that would have hi-jacked the thread. As a side note- I think that an actual date has not been set, in fact I just heard a date of March 24 for a Washington March instead.
I don't think I linked to it before, but this is the event I'm referencing:

https://www.womensmarch.com/empower/

Old 02-18-2018, 01:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,970,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
What do you think of the proposed National School Walkout on March 14? Women’s March Youth EMPOWER is calling for students, teachers and administrators to walk out of school at 10 am on that day for 17 minutes to protest Congress’ inaction in the wake of school shootings.

My initial thought is I’m leary of participating in such an action (it’s a declared “protest”) with my elementary students. We are always told to keep our political views out of our teaching. We are not supposed to push a political agenda. Colleagues seem to be biting at the bit to participate, but wouldn’t we be using the school day and our students as political pawns?
I think few people will actually do it.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:03 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,117,230 times
An additional walkout is being planned for April 20th, the Columbine anniversary.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ng-stupor.html

Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 AM

371 posts, read 1,212,778 times
I have heard several different dates for walkouts. My understanding was that they were supposed to be student led, and I thought were only for HS students. I don't think they really apply to elementary school. I can't imagine any elementary teacher taking their class for a walkout. I support the cause, but would never even dream of doing that. I could understand a HS teacher allowing students to choose to participate on their own, but definitely not walking an entire class out either.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful post. Your points support my thinking.

To me a protest should have a specific, targeted result beyond “some action needs to be taken”. What do we want? A ban of all gun sales? A ban of only certain guns? No ban of any kind? Trained teachers with guns? More $ for mental health? Stricter background checks? Longer waiting periods? Who’s to say?
Who’s to say? All of us. And instead politicians have been trying to trot out the old “now is not the time” nonsense.

It bizarre to expect people who are protesting to also have written policy. That is literally what Congress is for, to determine what policy beat fits their constituents wants.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think few people will actually do it.
I teach at a public magnet school that is typically considered fairly conservative, has a mandatory JROTC program and send more than 10% of its students to the military academies and even more to college on ROTC scholarships. Even those kids have already approached me about the walkout when it was just chatter on social media and no date picked. You are underestimating who is interested in this walkout because if even the JROTC kids want to walkout it is a widespread message.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
A 17-minute walk-out won't really do much. Perhaps students around the country should not go back to school until something is done at the federal level. May take a few months, but something with get done when parents have their kids at home all day for a prolonged time.
That's a good idea. It would throw the ball into the Congress's court. But honestly I don't think Congress would respond, even if every single school in the country was shut down indefinitely. They would just go on with business as usual. If kids dying doesn't move them to action, why would the schools being shut down cause them to act?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.