Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The OP teaches elementary school. So you are advocating that 6 yrs are coming into the class, telling the teacher all about the mass shooting and then saying that they are participating in a walk-out and they know exactly what day it is?

Did you even read the OP?

There is a huge difference between indoctrination and education.

Indoctrination: Telling kids WHAT to think
Education: Teaching kids HOW to think

Tremendous difference.
I teach elementary as well. Let me promise you they most definitely came to school talking about what happened. Mine didn’t talk about a walkout but that doesn’t mean they won’t. There was a shooting at a local school this year which they were all aware of and talking about too. To think just because they are young they don’t know what’s going on is ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
A walk-out for a day would have real effect - because school districts get paid for student attendance.

A 17 minute walk-out is just a "feel-good" action that will have little effect. It isn't hurting anything, so no change is likely to come from it.

And 17 minutes is ridiculous.

It's just another recess, basically.

Whomever modified it was smart because the sheep will think they are really doing something.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The question is how do elementary students even know about this in the first place?

It it's so important to the parents of these kids, they should take the day off from work and keep the kids for the entire day.

Having elementary school kids roaming around outside is not safe.
How do they know about the March 14 National School Walk Out? I don't believe they do. I didn't hear any discussion about it at the end of this week or today. They may or may not know about the school shooting, but there has been no discussion about that either.

At the end of last week the Women's March Youth Empower Walk Out started to be promoted. Some teachers started planning, at least initially, on participating. They were pumped about it, but some of us had questions and concerns about the protest, specifically at the elementary school level. Most of those questions and concerns are the same that have been shared in this thread. There was initial pressure to participate and "jump on board" and that's what prompted my initial post. I got the sense that this had somewhat subsided today.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Wanton destruction is something that my students definitely excel in!
Mine don't really destroy much, too nerdy, but they are really good at wantonly leaving table tops sticky. I sat in one of their spots to day when we had a guest lecturer and it was gross.

Mostly though they are glad the walk out isn't on a uniform day since they are all in JROTC.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
A walk-out for a day would have real effect - because school districts get paid for student attendance.

A 17 minute walk-out is just a "feel-good" action that will have little effect. It isn't hurting anything, so no change is likely to come from it.

And 17 minutes is ridiculous.

It's just another recess, basically.

Whomever modified it was smart because the sheep will think they are really doing something.
This is not universal. As a matter of fact this is not part of funding in any school I have ever taught in. I don't think it is part of the funding formula for the whole state.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is not universal. As a matter of fact this is not part of funding in any school I have ever taught in. I don't think it is part of the funding formula for the whole state.
Same here. It's not something I am aware of.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Our school's students participated in walkouts in the 1960s in order to protest the segregated schools that they attended and the Jim Crow system in general. They were arrested, as were most of the civil rights activists at the time, because they did not enjoy the civil rights guaranteed to them by the Constitution. The result of all of those years of protest is that the laws were changed and society adapted to those changes.
Some states are discussing the changing of laws:

Alabama has proposed a change in their law: Proposed bill would allow teachers to carry guns at school in Alabama - Story | WFLD

Legislation has been introduced in Colorado: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...carry-schools/

Kentucky is considering a bill: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/19/58712...ntucky-schools

Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Some states are discussing the changing of laws:

Alabama has proposed a change in their law: Proposed bill would allow teachers to carry guns at school in Alabama - Story | WFLD

Legislation has been introduced in Colorado: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...carry-schools/

Kentucky is considering a bill: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/19/58712...ntucky-schools
Yes lets force teachers with hanguns to put themselves between students with AR-15s and students without. What could go wrong?

The good guy with a gun mythology is getting out of hand. Chris Kyle was armed when he was shot in the head. If the country's best marksman had no chance to protect himself, the idea the rest of us are going to do more than escalate the situations is ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes lets force teachers with hanguns to put themselves between students with AR-15s and students without. What could go wrong?

The good guy with a gun mythology is getting out of hand. Chris Kyle was armed when he was shot in the head. If the country's best marksman had no chance to protect himself, the idea the rest of us are going to do more than escalate the situations is ridiculous.
The point of my post was not to say those laws will be helpful.

I know you are tired of those of us who ask, "What does this protest seek"?, or think focus should be on more than just "something needs to be done" and "laws need to be changed", but for the walkout I originally shared, I see these comments in the organizers' statement:
  • protest Congress’ inaction to do more
  • to demand Congress pass legislation to keep us safe from gun violence at our schools,
  • Congress must take meaningful action to keep us safe and pass federal gun reform legislation that address the public health crisis of gun violence.

Won't some say that changes in the law such as those states have proposed satisfy all of the above if enacted by Congress?

Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The point of my post was not to say those laws will be helpful.

I know you are tired of those of us who ask, "What does this protest seek"?, or think focus should be on more than just "something needs to be done" and "laws need to be changed", but for the walkout I originally shared, I see these comments in the organizers' statement:
  • protest Congress’ inaction to do more
  • to demand Congress pass legislation to keep us safe from gun violence at our schools,
  • Congress must take meaningful action to keep us safe and pass federal gun reform legislation that address the public health crisis of gun violence.

Won't some say that changes in the law such as those states have proposed satisfy all of the above if enacted by Congress?
You could maybe go to their website, listen to them speak on tv, etc but they hav been clear that they want stricter gun control. Letting people conceal carry in schools is not stricter gun control.

From their mission statement, which I posted several pages ago and you still haven’t bothered to read “We cannot allow one more teacher to make a choice to jump in front of a firing assault rifle to save the lives of students.” One of the student organizers says his biggest concern is they have “failed to keep guns out of schools”. So at a minimum, even a cursory glance shows that they are not remotely advocating for teacher carrying handguns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching