Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 PM

472 posts, read 348,118 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Thank you for listening to this!
What would you do if you were in my situation? I've been a teacher at a high school for nearly 4 years. I've been a contract worker to teach high school developmental math, not a state licensed worker. My principal really wants me to get certified. However, it costs 6,000 dollars that I have to pay and I have to go to a class every other Saturday from 8am-2pm for 2 years, as well as summer boot camps that last a couple weeks in the summer. My salary would go down to 14,000 dollars less because I would be payed as a new district teacher with no years of experience. New teachers start at 32,000 per year in my district and I'm current making close to 46,000 with being a contract worker. I have to pay my own health insurance and all but I'm fine with that as a contract worker. With me being a contract worker, I am paid as an adjunct, because before this a taught math at a community college for 5 years before I got this job. It's an early college high school where students can get college credit. I know my principal really wants me to do this but I'm not sure. I looked at other states, I'm in Colorado, and Texas pays a much higher salary and you get to get certified online by taking all classes online and I could work at my own pace. I'm very surprised that Colorado doesn't have more online alternative teacher certification routes for those like me that have degrees and want to get certified. To me, the cost, and the commitment seem too much. I'm already overworked, single, and it seems like having to commit to going to classes every other Saturday from 8am-2pm is going to drive me further into overwork anxiety mode. I understand it's important to get certified and I've gone through all the background checks and passed, but it seems like I'll be single and overworked for the next couple of years. I've gotten good evaluations and they want to keep me but I feel like saying "yes" to this is easy now but I'm in for a lot more than I want. If I say no, I don't think they would remove me but I could tell it would be a disappointment to my principal. I also run student council and we frequently have events on Friday nights that go late. Having to work all week, work late on Fridays, then have to go in at 8am Saturday?? I feel low about this. Am I overthinking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 11:39 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Hello everyone,
Thank you for listening to this!
What would you do if you were in my situation? I've been a teacher at a high school for nearly 4 years. I've been a contract worker to teach high school developmental math, not a state licensed worker. My principal really wants me to get certified. However, it costs 6,000 dollars that I have to pay and I have to go to a class every other Saturday from 8am-2pm for 2 years, as well as summer boot camps that last a couple weeks in the summer. My salary would go down to 14,000 dollars less because I would be payed as a new district teacher with no years of experience. New teachers start at 32,000 per year in my district and I'm current making close to 46,000 with being a contract worker. I have to pay my own health insurance and all but I'm fine with that as a contract worker. With me being a contract worker, I am paid as an adjunct, because before this a taught math at a community college for 5 years before I got this job. It's an early college high school where students can get college credit. I know my principal really wants me to do this but I'm not sure. I looked at other states, I'm in Colorado, and Texas pays a much higher salary and you get to get certified online by taking all classes online and I could work at my own pace. I'm very surprised that Colorado doesn't have more online alternative teacher certification routes for those like me that have degrees and want to get certified. To me, the cost, and the commitment seem too much. I'm already overworked, single, and it seems like having to commit to going to classes every other Saturday from 8am-2pm is going to drive me further into overwork anxiety mode. I understand it's important to get certified and I've gone through all the background checks and passed, but it seems like I'll be single and overworked for the next couple of years. I've gotten good evaluations and they want to keep me but I feel like saying "yes" to this is easy now but I'm in for a lot more than I want. If I say no, I don't think they would remove me but I could tell it would be a disappointment to my principal. I also run student council and we frequently have events on Friday nights that go late. Having to work all week, work late on Fridays, then have to go in at 8am Saturday?? I feel low about this. Am I overthinking this?
Is there no wiggle room salary wise, to at least acknowledge your total teaching experience?

I would start updating your resume once you get certified and have at least worked as a certified teacher for a year minimum. A sacrifice, yes, but it should boost your job potential elsewhere.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:39 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Don’t do this to yourself. It doesn’t matter what your principal wants. Working 5 days then getting up to go to a class on Saturday for TWO years is asking a lot of you. And then to top it off you’ll basically be demoted!? No way.

I currently contract in education in another field and I make twice your current salary for only 3 1/2 days a week. And do you know what!? THAT’S TOO MUCH time spent. At the end of the day I look around and don’t even recognize my home. It’s unsettling. Don’t get me wrong I love my work, but unless you can find a good balance, it could be more of a detriment than a career boost. There’s got to be some alternative for you other than the Saturday commitment...

When will you have time for a social life? So many things to consider for your personal well-being. Be very careful here.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:48 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Dear OP,

Actually, you live very near me. Sounds like you're around Peyton or Black Forest. I live near Powers Boulevard and Stetson Hills.

However, I'm retired and worked as a teacher and then principal mostly in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. Although I haven't been involved in the education system since I moved here (I'm retired), I've not heard much good about Colorado school systems. After reading your story, add one more reason. Considering all that's happening with PERA, as well as your own professional and pay situation, and the fact (I'm guessing here) that you're young and single...exactly why do you want to stay here in Colorado?

On the other hand, I could point out to you that when I wanted to get permanently certified in NYS (where I am originally from), I needed to earn a Masters Degree, and didn't get any summers off for a couple of years. Then when I went for a doctorate after moving to Virginia took night classes at least 2 nights a week and some summer classes for 3 years. And that's not even mentioning a 33 year career where I had to take summer or night classes just to keep certified.

As far as why Colorado doesn't do more online...not sure. Maybe they believe contact hours are more effective than sitting in front of a screen. And as an educator who spent most of my career before online options even existed...well, it is what it is.

If I were you, and what you describe in Texas is accurate, Texas would be looking awfully good to me right now.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Dear OP,

Actually, you live very near me. Sounds like you're around Peyton or Black Forest. I live near Powers Boulevard and Stetson Hills.

However, I'm retired and worked as a teacher and then principal mostly in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. Although I haven't been involved in the education system since I moved here (I'm retired), I've not heard much good about Colorado school systems. After reading your story, add one more reason. Considering all that's happening with PERA, as well as your own professional and pay situation, and the fact (I'm guessing here) that you're young and single...exactly why do you want to stay here in Colorado?

On the other hand, I could point out to you that when I wanted to get permanently certified in NYS (where I am originally from), I needed to earn a Masters Degree, and didn't get any summers off for a couple of years. Then when I went for a doctorate after moving to Virginia took night classes at least 2 nights a week and some summer classes for 3 years. And that's not even mentioning a 33 year career where I had to take summer or night classes just to keep certified.

As far as why Colorado doesn't do more online...not sure. Maybe they believe contact hours are more effective than sitting in front of a screen. And as an educator who spent most of my career before online options even existed...well, it is what it is.

If I were you, and what you describe in Texas is accurate, Texas would be looking awfully good to me right now.
I agree! I live more on the northwest side of town now. I like the peyton area though! I really like the beauty of Colorado and have lived here 10 years. However, I want to be able to buy a house and such but their salaries here aren't that great. That is really neat you were a principal and all of your experience. Like you, I agree it's good to be certified but there's only so much work a person can do. Texas may seem like a better route, to at least teach in a public school.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Don’t do this to yourself. It doesn’t matter what your principal wants. Working 5 days then getting up to go to a class on Saturday for TWO years is asking a lot of you. And then to top it off you’ll basically be demoted!? No way.

I currently contract in education in another field and I make twice your current salary for only 3 1/2 days a week. And do you know what!? THAT’S TOO MUCH time spent. At the end of the day I look around and don’t even recognize my home. It’s unsettling. Don’t get me wrong I love my work, but unless you can find a good balance, it could be more of a detriment than a career boost. There’s got to be some alternative for you other than the Saturday commitment...

When will you have time for a social life? So many things to consider for your personal well-being. Be very careful here.
Yes!!!! I really agree!! I think Saturdays are too much, especially for two years. I will be single for at least another two years I feel if I do this!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Contract work is super rare hold on to that if you can. If you are looking at alternative cert don't pay that kind of money some CO districts will get you certified for much less.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I think you should keep doing what you already are.

It's not worth the hassel and stress you'd be under to change...and what for? less money???...if you want (like you said) you can go for the certification should you ever decide to move to another state where it's easier and cheaper to obtain.

Last edited by purehuman; 02-23-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 12:15 AM

Thank you all!! I love teaching and I want to continue it. The principal I work for is great and all! I just did some searching and I can find an online certification program, it costs $5500, but can be done in a year. I've been doing more searching since this post and found an online program that the dept of education never told me about. I just have to decide if I want to take the pay cut or not I like it here but I also want to own a home, not be stressed out, and have a dating life. It's a hard choice to make but glad I can vent and talk here.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post

You don't have to say, tangelag, but what part of education do you work for? I understand and agree how stressful it is. Finally after three weeks I've at least managed to clean the house and get things in order but it's hard. Thank you for the kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching