Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:03 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Travelassie summed up what several of the posters here are saying. You haven't answered some of the questions she and others have raised. How could the students be poorly behaved, running around your house, if a parent is present at every lesson? How could a simple issue of needing to be informed of a child's level of English mastery, or lack of English knowledge, prior to beginning the lessons, go unresolved for years? Many of the concerns you raise aren't difficult to address and resolve. Maybe there's more to these scenarios, than you've told us. If that's the case, by all means, provide more information.
All of this.

+1.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:36 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,909,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You always, always, always do this--pile on negativity, make hurtful, hypercritical remarks and cut the OP to ribbons. I have to wonder why. What is your motivation. Are you enjoying yourself when you do this?
Pot, meet...

Just how would you describe your responses to my first post in this thread?

I have played musical instruments since I was in third grade, was in orchestras for nine years, played for a dance group for an additional thirteen years, and have been a member of a traditional music group for over 30 years.

No, I am not a music teacher, but music has long been a huge and wonderful part of my life, and I remember what it was like to be a music student.

I am sorry none of this signifies to you, since I never taught music (I did teach other subjects, however, and worked professionally with children and parents for over 28 years). Discounting input from posters like myself and others who have similar experience is your choice, of course.

Good luck to you - and especially, to your students.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And who chooses the instrument such young children are to study: is it by their initiative, or something their parents have foisted on them?
That's the question that I also have, because I can't imagine any 4-year-old wanting to play an instrument at all, let alone that instrument being a viola.

My experience with music has been that if you want to play a string instrument, and you want to be in demand as a player, learn to play bass. Guitar players aren't a dime a dozen, they're a nickel a gross, but just try to find a really good bass player who actually likes playing bass. I've dealt with too many guitarists who "play guitar - and bass", but who clearly aren't content playing bass.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
That's the question that I also have, because I can't imagine any 4-year-old wanting to play an instrument at all, let alone that instrument being a viola.
With very few exceptions (if any), violists start on violin.

I'm a little surprised that posters are not aware of the ubiquitous Suzuki program which starts children at age three. Teachers vary, however: I will take them at age four-almost five, and only if the parent is willing to be one side of the "Suzuki triangle" of Student/Parent/Teacher. The parent is the home teacher.

I'm not a purist with respect to Suzuki and am more of an eclectic teacher, using Suzuki for the little ones and more traditional methods for older students. Suzuki is very controversial and Dr. Suzuki himself wrote that "there is no such thing as Suzuki Method only Suzuki-Teacher's-name-Method. See:

Blog post: 0bjections to Suzuki Training and Teaching [Reflexions Magazine]
http://beststudentviolins.com/Reflex...gs.html#081115

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 05-07-2018 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
With very few exceptions (if any), violists start on violin.

I'm a little surprised that posters are not aware of the ubiquitous Suzuki program which starts children at age three. Teachers vary, however: I will take them at age four-almost five, and only if the parent is willing to be one side of the "Suzuki triangle" of Student/Parent/Teacher. The parent is the home teacher.

I'm not a purist with respect to Suzuki and am more of an eclectic teacher, using Suzuki for the little ones and more traditional methods for older students. Suzuki is very controversial and Dr. Suzuki himself wrote that "there is no such thing as Suzuki Method only Suzuki-Teacher's-name-Method. See:

Blog post: 0bjections to Suzuki Training and Teaching [Reflexions Magazine]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> <meta charset="utf-8"> <title>Reflexions on Strings - Online Magazine for string players by string players

Allow me to clarify:

Who decides that the child will take music lessons, at what age, and on which instrument - child or somebody else (most likely parent)?

Old 05-07-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Allow me to clarify:

Who decides that the child will take music lessons, at what age, and on which instrument - child or somebody else (most likely parent)?
Who else, aside from parent and child, would have any input to that decision making process?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Who else, aside from parent and child, would have any input to that decision making process?

Indeed, but is it truly parent AND child, or actually just parent?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Very frequently children, even very young ones, have an impulse towards playing a certain instrument.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 AM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Exactly. At ages 3 and 4, even 5, with the exception of unusually gifted children, kids aren't toddling around demanding to learn to play violin. Most don't even know what a violin is, at 3 and 4.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,545,653 times
Quote:
I love teaching--I really do. But here is a list of recent problem actions by students. Please note I teach private music lessons (violin/fiddle, viola & piano) from age four to older adults, and sometimes multiple children in a family. No particular order of importance:

1. Students trying to be in charge of the lesson, when they're totally lacking in knowledge about anything musical or pedagogical.
2. Quitting without the requested one month notice. Or worse: quitting on the day, even the hour, lesson fees are due.
3. Bringing some weird piece they picked up on the internet for an audition NEXT WEEK, with music that is far beyond their current technical ability.
4. Not picking up the toys before they leave.
5. Playing with my cat--who is in another part of the house and DOES NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED, though he's very gentle and patient.
6. Making a lot of noise when they enter the studio, while another lesson is in progress.
7. Starting with some VSO ("Violin Shaped Object") that cannot be made to sound good or even stay in tune.
8. Children who clearly have some sort of learning disability but parents don't tell me.
9. Children who don't speak English and parents don't tell me.

Any other private studio teachers here?
Let's get back to the OP please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching