Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,496,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm not a teacher and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but know a couple who do send their kids to private school. They're very open that the reason is quality of education is higher. They don't see the irony in advocating for a public school education for others kids while sending their own to private school. At least your friend the principal does.
How is it ironic? A strong public school system absolutely benefits society as a whole, regardless of the choice of any individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,768 posts, read 58,209,379 times
Many Public School teachers homeschool their own, or through a Homeschool co-op.

From a 4 generation family of schoolteachers, we ALL homeschooled the last generation and the next seems to be following suit. (Teaching by day / homeschooling by night.)

Passion to teach / educate all we can possibly reach. (Our homeschooled kids volunteer in Public schools, and many of them pursue teaching careers).

As a business owner who hires staff, I spend most my time 'educating' the products of our schools (various types). That gives an enlightened perspective of what we are delivering..(by various means)..

"Send your children to school where you feel they will be educated as" will benefit their service to society and their potential to blossom into the treasure they are. .. (We don't always get that right...)

Old 01-09-2019, 06:27 PM

45,532 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, to begin with, after 33 years in education, never saw that happen (although I'm sure it does).

What is the reason for the private education? I think that's a key question.
The fact that so many colleagues in your and my common school system sent their own kids to private schools did bring me up short when I was first hired. That was about the time you left for Virginia.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:06 PM

50,967 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many Public School teachers homeschool their own, or through a Homeschool co-op.

From a 4 generation family of schoolteachers, we ALL homeschooled the last generation and the next seems to be following suit. (Teaching by day / homeschooling by night.)

Passion to teach / educate all we can possibly reach. (Our homeschooled kids volunteer in Public schools, and many of them pursue teaching careers).

As a business owner who hires staff, I spend most my time 'educating' the products of our schools (various types). That gives an enlightened perspective of what we are delivering..(by various means)..

"Send your children to school where you feel they will be educated as" will benefit their service to society and their potential to blossom into the treasure they are. .. (We don't always get that right...)
Define "many".

Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 PM

50,967 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The fact that so many colleagues in your and my common school system sent their own kids to private schools did bring me up short when I was first hired. That was about the time you left for Virginia.
I think PG County would be a good example of why some teachers would send their kids to private school.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:51 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,340,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, to begin with, after 33 years in education, never saw that happen (although I'm sure it does).

What is the reason for the private education? I think that's a key question.
I thought the same thing (substitute "26 years" for your 33).

Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 PM

12,881 posts, read 9,112,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How is it ironic? A strong public school system absolutely benefits society as a whole, regardless of the choice of any individual.
The irony is they advocate for others to send their kids to public school and for more funding for public school while at the same time being unwilling to send their own kids to public school. Classic case of "do as I say, not as I do."

I'm not anti public school but I believe in "ride for the brand" and if public school is not good enough for their own kids then how in good conscience can they advocate it for someone else's kids?

Old 01-10-2019, 12:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,496,212 times
Quote:
The irony is they advocate for others to send their kids to public school and for more funding for public school while at the same time being unwilling to send their own kids to public school. Classic case of "do as I say, not as I do."

I'm not anti public school but I believe in "ride for the brand" and if public school is not good enough for their own kids then how in good conscience can they advocate it for someone else's kids?
There is a difference between advocating for people to send their children to public schools and advocating that quality public education be available to all.

There are a variety of reasons that one or the other might be a better choice for individual students.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:41 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
Quote:

Teachers cannot do much to influence the quality of education. Teachers teach, but they can't influence the negative conditions in today's public schools. They don't have any say in disciplining the kids, what should be taught or even how it should be taught. They can't upgrade the poor standards. If they are brave enough to teach in the typical public school, that's a good thing. They should be commended for doing what they can. Others influence the quality of education, not the powerless teachers.

There's no reason why the powerless teachers should have to subject their own kids to what they know is wrong. Low, dumbed down standards, lax discipline. They have every right to allow their own kids to obtain a decent education. It might be a little bit different for a principal because they do have more opportunity to influence they quality of education. The principal could choose to side with the teachers and not always placate the parents when their "perfect" child misbehaves. The principal could lay down some rules for classroom behavior and the principal could support the teachers when they enforce them. If the school does a poor job of educating, it's partly the principal's fault. Therefore, it would make sense that the principal would feel embarrassed and hypocritical sending his own kids to private school.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,428,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
This is the one subject I don't think I have EVER seen on this forum before: What are your opinions on public school teachers who send their own children to private schools? Do you think it's hypocritical? Why or why not? Personal stories and examples are welcome!
Not hypocritical at all.

Why would it be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching