Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:58 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,096,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Teachers are overpaid if they send their kids to private school? Are teachers supposed to live in poverty? Is it okay if they go on vacation, or does that make them overpaid as well? What kind of thinking is that?? Since it would be difficult to fund private education on a teacher’s salary, is it okay to use private school if the other parent has a good job?

I homeschool and I still support the public school system and think public school teachers should make more than they do. The system works well for some kids/families. And many families have no choice, so I want the schools to be as good as possible. In addition, I do pay taxes that go to the school, so therefore I’m entitled to a say, as is everyone else, including those who pay for private school in addition to those public school taxes.
Whether they are or are not overpaid is real terms is irrelevant. What matters is what the voting public perceives. What do you think the public perceives when teachers come out against vouchers that would let families pick the school, yet at the same time those teachers send their own kids to private school? I know that's not a very popular message on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Whether they are or are not overpaid is real terms is irrelevant. What matters is what the voting public perceives. What do you think the public perceives when teachers come out against vouchers that would let families pick the school, yet at the same time those teachers send their own kids to private school? I know that's not a very popular message on this forum.
Taxes to support public education are just that. For public education. They are not tuition to be withdrawn and applied elsewhere. Individuals are free to choose how they educate their children, which is a separate issue from vouchers. Just like we are also not free to take back other taxes that support those services we don't necessarily avail ourselves of - or those we may not support.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,096,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Taxes to support public education are just that. For public education. They are not tuition to be withdrawn and applied elsewhere. Individuals are free to choose how they educate their children, which is a separate issue from vouchers. Just like we are also not free to take back other taxes that support those services we don't necessarily avail ourselves of - or those we may not support.
So what? One of the cruelest lessons those in public service have to learn is that reality doesn't matter compared to public perception. For the public, perception IS reality.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times
Quote:
So what? One of the cruelest lessons those in public service have to learn is that reality doesn't matter compared to public perception. For the public, perception IS reality.
I really don't think the general public care that much about whether teachers send their kids to private schools. When my kids were in school I generally didn't know where their teacher's kids attended school. Nor did it occur to me to ask. I did however care about the quality of our education in our district far after my own kids were out.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,737,091 times
Quote:
I guess the public perceives that those teachers are paying for the school they have chosen for their child on their own, not with vouchers. And the public can feel free to decide to also spend their own money to send their child to the school of their choice.

(I'm actually not against vouchers --provided they go to bona fide, accredited schools-- and I am for school choice such as charter and magnet schools. I'm basing my answer on what you wrote about the teacher who is against those choices.)

Old 01-12-2019, 11:35 AM

13,006 posts, read 18,932,975 times
If for religious reasons, I don't object. Perhaps teachers can't afford to live in a good school district. But yes, it is a problem. Much more so than a worker at Ford driving a Toyota.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:35 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,240,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
This is the one subject I don't think I have EVER seen on this forum before: What are your opinions on public school teachers who send their own children to private schools? Do you think it's hypocritical? Why or why not? Personal stories and examples are welcome!

Well.... how about politicians and office holders? A great many send their kids to private schools... some of the most elite and posh schools in the country, in fact. And a great many of them are liberals and progressives and others staunch supporters of federal education.

Is that hypocritical?

Old 01-12-2019, 12:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times
Quote:
If anything the teachers that are paying for private school without using vouchers are walking the walk.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times
Quote:
In general, the public school teachers who send their children to private schools also do support charter schools and vouchers.

https://www.educationnext.org/teache...heir-own-kids/

Quote:
The teachers who exercise choice are more likely to support school choice for others, avoid union membership, and oppose agency fees.
Quote:
School vouchers are more controversial, but even in this case 42% of the alternative-choosing teachers back vouchers, as compared to only 23% of the teachers who send their children only to public schools.
Quote:
In short, teachers are just as likely to send their children to a private school as other educated parents. These teachers, moreover, support similar choices for other parents and oppose agency fees currently imposed on many. If the Supreme Court finds the practice unconstitutional, a sizable share of the teaching force—as well as the general public–will be applauding.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 PM

45,484 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
There are vast swaths of the US where teachers are the public employees on display and have to be aware of any public behavior.

Too expensive a car? They're being paid too much.
Have a drink in public? Look at that drunk.
Too big a house, too nice of clothes. You name it and there are those who will make it an issue.

I grew up in rural NWPA. If any teachers drove a car there like those seen in the parking lot where I taught outside DC the next school board meeting would be jammed with people demanding someone's head. It's been like that always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching