Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

Not paying into Social Security doesn't just affect retirement. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but if someone, heaven forbid, becomes disabled, after teaching for about 15 years or so, what happens? Would that person still be eligible for federal disability? Is there some type of disability insurance offered by the state or district that would be equivalent to federal disability (SDI). I know that teachers still pay into medicare even if they don't pay into SS, but would they be eligible for medicare like someone who is on SDI? Something to consider and it can definitely be a problem for a career changer to work in a state that does not contribute to SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Northern Virginia -- Fairfax, Arlington. And over the river, Montgomery County, Maryland. COL is high, but so is pay and benefits.
How long has it been since you've been gone? I have 25+ years. I'm just wondering how it compares now to then. I see more new(ish) teachers leaving now compared to year's past because of the COL. Looking at our own experience as a two teacher household I don't think the pay has kept up with COL increases and benefits are being chipped away. While they are still ok in comparison to many other places, I wouldn't put the system in the same category as other "great states for teachers".

Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How long has it been since you've been gone? I have 25+ years. I'm just wondering how it compares now to then. I see more new(ish) teachers leaving now compared to year's past because of the COL. Looking at our own experience as a two teacher household I don't think the pay has kept up with COL increases and benefits are being chipped away. While they are still ok in comparison to many other places, I wouldn't put the system in the same category as other "great states for teachers".
I wouldn’t either, not based on pay. While the pay sounds good on paper, the cost-of-living up there is a true killer. Now, I will say, FCPS, along with some of the other districts in the area, do a better job on the intangibles and treating teachers like professionals than most school systems.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:33 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Minnesota supposedly is a good state to be a teacher. Well funded generally.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 PM

28 posts, read 22,536 times
Overall, I would say Maryland is a solid state to teach in, some parts more so than others, like any state, but overall it's a good place to teach. I also hear Pennsylvania is a good place to be as well as I have some friends who teach up there. I don't mean to get off topic but since we are discussing good states for teachers, does anyone have any experience teaching in SC or GA? I am currently in the process of getting my MAT in Early Childhood and Elementary Ed and am strongly considering moving to the Charleston or Savannah area. I am open to other parts of those states as well but would ideally like to live by the coast. Does anyone have any insight into what it might be like teaching down there? I have done my research and yes, I see that there are some rough schools, and I have no problem working in a Title I school as I currently work in one now but I am very curious to learn about others experiences or if they are familiar with the teaching conditions down there. Thank you!

Old 04-23-2019, 04:57 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Be wary of states that don't pay social security.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure I would say be "wary", but I agree...it is VERY important to consider this since state retirement systems are often more shaky than the federal system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not only is it more shaky but if you are a teacher who moves around it creates a nightmare come retirement time. My social security is reduced by a dollar for every two dollars I get from my Kentucky retirement. The scary thing is that if they fail there is no safety net.

The idiot running Kentucky right now wants to move to something like the Virginia hybrid system but still not provide Social Security.
You lose all or part of your SS you earn prior or after becoming a teacher if your district doesn't pay into SS, due to the Windfall Elimination Provision.

I doubt I will get any SS from my non teaching working years (~20ish).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Not paying into Social Security doesn't just affect retirement. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but if someone, heaven forbid, becomes disabled, after teaching for about 15 years or so, what happens? Would that person still be eligible for federal disability? Is there some type of disability insurance offered by the state or district that would be equivalent to federal disability (SDI). I know that teachers still pay into medicare even if they don't pay into SS, but would they be eligible for medicare like someone who is on SDI? Something to consider and it can definitely be a problem for a career changer to work in a state that does not contribute to SS.
If your district does not pay SS nor premiums for long/short-term disability insurance with a private company, then you do will not get anything should you become disabled.

When I started with my district, they were paying the premiums for all employees. A few years later, they stopped, and employees had to pay their own. I thank my lucky stars that I signed up when I did because about a year later, I was diagnosed with an illness. I was able to work for about another ten year but eventurally had to quit. If I had not signed up before I got sick, I would have been SOL. I saw it happen to someone else. It was awful.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:30 AM

78 posts, read 63,739 times
I’m so happy to see this thread! I was looking at CO (Denver) and informed flat out that teachers can not afford to live there. I find that so shocking. It’s Denver.

I’m in the SF Bay Area. I can afford to live comfortably and rent, but buying on a single salary is not an option.

I’m wondering if there are states/cities where a teacher could earn enough to buy?

Also, side note, Is anyone else alarmed that people are so quick to dismiss teachers and tell them not to bother with certain cities as they’ll never be able to live there? Do kids in those cities not go to school? It also says a ton about the lack of respect for our profession. 75 units post grad. 14 years in special Ed. Taught and lived in both SF and London. Apparently wouldn’t be able to afford Denver.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:55 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locali View Post
I’m so happy to see this thread! I was looking at CO (Denver) and informed flat out that teachers can not afford to live there. I find that so shocking. It’s Denver.

I’m in the SF Bay Area. I can afford to live comfortably and rent, but buying on a single salary is not an option.
I saw some of your threads. I'm sorry you got the reception you did when you asked about Austin and Denver. I think the problem with those cities is they're becoming super-popular "hip" places to live and because of that, the COL (particularly housing) is skyrocketing. Many people have had the same idea as you and view Austin, Boulder and Denver as ideal places to move if you're trying to escape the crushing prices of California. But now so many people are moving there that it's driven prices up. They are no longer affordable places to live like they were 15-20 years ago.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:50 AM

78 posts, read 63,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I saw some of your threads. I'm sorry you got the reception you did when you asked about Austin and Denver. I think the problem with those cities is they're becoming super-popular "hip" places to live and because of that, the COL (particularly housing) is skyrocketing. Many people have had the same idea as you and view Austin, Boulder and Denver as ideal places to move if you're trying to escape the crushing prices of California. But now so many people are moving there that it's driven prices up. They are no longer affordable places to live like they were 15-20 years ago.
Thank you very much. I really was disappointed by some of the anger, but I get it. SF used to be a lot more affordable too before tech moved in. If I’d stayed there straight after college, I’d have owned by now. Just didn’t expect the whole tech boom obviously.

I understand if this is something new these communities like Denver and Austin are experiencing. I’ve had years to come to terms with the fact that my home is no longer affordable (as far as purchasing). I’m not angry, just looking for a solution. Sounds like North Carolina is not too bad. I am looking at San Diego if I stay in CA or possibly Sacramento. Interested in other state suggestions too! Just a place with a friendly vibe, some arts, community feel, music scene, open minded people.

Thanks again ✨
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching