Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 01:19 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,732,189 times

Advertisements

in terms of opportunity, pay, general living, COL, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 01:25 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,597,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Shadowboxing View Post
in terms of opportunity, pay, general living, COL, etc.?
Vermont. Relatively low cost of living, and high salary.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:46 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,348,066 times
I hear good number comparisons for PA.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:55 PM

20,131 posts, read 16,215,751 times
From last summer - it might surprise you.

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-06...o-the-furthest

Old 04-07-2019, 07:50 PM

51,028 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Northern Virginia -- Fairfax, Arlington. And over the river, Montgomery County, Maryland. COL is high, but so is pay and benefits.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:56 AM

4,881 posts, read 6,964,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
From last summer - it might surprise you.

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-06...o-the-furthest
Actually, this doesn't surprise me much as far as the ranking.

The figures are from 2016 so they're slightly outdated. I'm happy to say that my state of South Dakota has made some major changes to teacher pay since then and has moved up from 50th to the mid 40's. Our cost of living figures on the chart in comparison to other states I can tell you are totally incorrect though. I wonder where they got that. No state income tax, extremely low cost for owning autos and trucks, no tax on Social Security benefits, extremely low cost of housing (Sioux Falls being an exception). I'm sure the cost of living figures is somehow skewed by the reservations which is controlled by the reservations themselves AND the federal government.

Seeing Illinois' high ranking makes me wonder where it will be when that state eventually has to completely restructure themselves due to their bankrupt future pension commitments.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,861,048 times
Ohio being in the top 5 is misleading. For every suburb outside Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland that starts out paying their teachers 40k there are plenty of small / rural communities that still only top out at 30k in 2019 for first year teachers. Plus Ohio restructured their retirement system even before this report was put together and eliminated many things that once played in a huge rule in Ohio teachers never leaving their jobs and few jobs opening up only so often. Ohio will probably fall out of the top 10 if you did this study in 2019. Many districts in Ohio also have not had pay raises in the last few years. Grant it housing prices in Ohio can be reasonable if not a steal in some places.

Where I teach, South Carolina is probably pretty accurate. Housing costs and overall COL down here has gotten out of control. Even with 3% raises every few years to try to keep up with the rate of inflation its nearly impossible for teachers to afford adequate housing down here.

Someone in NC is lying. No way NC is ranked what they are ranked even if it is 2016 data with all that's been going on in Raleigh these last 12 months.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 AM

11,661 posts, read 12,753,804 times
Be wary of states that don't pay social security.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:07 AM

51,028 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Be wary of states that don't pay social security.
I'm not sure I would say be "wary", but I agree...it is VERY important to consider this since state retirement systems are often more shaky than the federal system.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:41 AM

20,131 posts, read 16,215,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure I would say be "wary", but I agree...it is VERY important to consider this since state retirement systems are often more shaky than the federal system.
Not only is it more shaky but if you are a teacher who moves around it creates a nightmare come retirement time. My social security is reduced by a dollar for every two dollars I get from my Kentucky retirement. The scary thing is that if they fail there is no safety net.

The idiot running Kentucky right now wants to move to something like the Virginia hybrid system but still not provide Social Security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching