Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 01:18 PM

314 posts, read 554,848 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much. This has been the most insightful response I have received regarding the degree.

Quote:
I have an Ed.D. I have worked on research projects with the Department of Education, and conducted research on my own and with colleagues that was presented at state, national and international conferences.

I was a full time student, with a fellowship. Scholarship was my full time pursuit. I had to take more research hours than is required in many PhD programs. I had to pass a research proficiency examination, to show that I had good understanding of statistics and understood solid research principles.
That's quite impressive. Most of the Ed.D. programs I have noticed are part-time evening or online programs.

Quote:

A Master's degree is not a terminal degree.
I don't know. Would you also argue that an MFA is not a terminal degree? From what I was told, a master's in ESL has been considered terminal in that it's the highest teaching degree in the field. There are no Ph.D.s specifically in TESOL. Maybe if you search long enough you may find some obscure for-profit institution claiming to the offer a Ph.D. in TESOL. But for those who want to continue research in Second Language Acquisition and Bilingualism, the traditional pathway is a Ph.D. in Linguistics or Cognitive Science. But just to obtain a full-time faculty position at a post-secondary English language institution, an MA in TESOL is all that's required. The problem is that full-time ESL jobs at the post-secondary level are scarce. As I am writing this, highedjobs.com has over 200 part-time/adjunct ESL positions listed, with only 45 full-time positions nationwide.

Quote:
Do you think a person with an Ed.D. is a lesser "doctor"? Maybe those administrators pursued a degree at an institution that lacked rigorous requirements.
I don't believe a person with an Ed.D. is less worthy of the title "doctor" than someone with a Ph.D. I just got the impression that academia may favor the Ph.D. over the Ed.D. It appears that if the end goal is eventually become a college professor, the chances are greater with a Ph.D.

You are correct in that program rigor varies. Some Ed.D. programs, like the one you completed, require a dissertation, while others only require the completion of a capstone project.

Quote:
My Ed.D. has been quite valuable. I learned a lot during my residency at the university. I learned even more while conducting my research and writing my dissertation. That work helped me learn how to learn, and to respect learning and those who are truly learned. It helped me earn the respect of my peers and some of my adversaries.

But I value the ability it's given me to help others, especially teachers who help students, and parents who had no one else to turn to when they were fighting for their kid's rights and future.

If you don't want those things, you shouldn't be pursuing an Ed.D. Just my opinion.

Of course it's helped me earn a lot of money, too. But that's not the point.

I am now looking at programs that offer coursework and research opportunities that will benefit me as I seek to become a better teacher and also grow professionally in Education. In five years or so, I'd like to transition out of the classroom and into a leadership role. Furthermore, my district has funding for teachers to pursue high education and I want to take advantage of it while the going is good.

Last edited by youngprodigy21; 10-05-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 12:56 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
Here is what I do know about the degree.

-It prepares candidates for administrative roles rather than academic research roles, as with a Ph.D.
-It is much more conducive to the full-time teacher, as most classes, if not all, are held during the evenings on a part-time basis.
-The research is not as rigorous as a PhD., which makes a completion a lot more doable while also balancing a full-time teaching load.

Here is what I would like to know.
-Is the degree necessary in my situation, for if I ever wanted to move out of the K-12 classroom and into an administrative role as either a curriculum designer, instructional coach, program director, or ELL supervisor? This is considering that I don't already have an M.Ed. but rather an M.A.
-In general, are the job prospects in the respective fields better for Ed.D.'s than Ph.D.'s? For example, is a person with an Ed.D. more likely to land an administrative job of his or her interest than a Ph.D. graduate looking to land a tenure track professor position?

Here is my situation. I have a master's in English and a master's in TESOL. I currently teach middle school ESL. The master's in TESOL is considered a terminal degree in English language teaching, yet the job market for post-secondary ESL instructors in the United States is rather scarce. I would like to eventually move to a district office job or full-time community college position. Teaching post-secondary education full-time would be my dream job, but I am not holding with breath to it.

In the district where I work, I know some school principals who have Ed.D.s. They are usually ones that began teaching with a master's degree that wasn't an M.Ed. So going back for a doctorate sufficed the M.Ed. requirments for a principal's license and also gave them the "doctor" title. But I have no desire to work as a school principal. So what other doors might an Ed.D. open for me that an MA TESOL and years of relevant work experience can't already?
Academically and intellectually, very little.

However, within the bubble of public schools, Ed.D.'s put in the pool for the best admin jobs. There, it is considered a doctorate. Outside of the public school bubble and related industries, very few Ed.D.'s have much market value.

S.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:03 PM

314 posts, read 554,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

However, within the bubble of public schools, Ed.D.'s put in the pool for the best admin jobs. There, it is considered a doctorate. Outside of the public school bubble and related industries, very few Ed.D.'s have much market value.

S.
Yes, the Ed.D. appears to be the PhD of the K-12 public school bubble.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:26 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

S.
^^^This.

10/char

Old 12-17-2019, 02:38 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
I knew a nurse who had that degree, taught classes at a comm. college.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:27 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
It can be your ticket out of the classroom. Openings for non-PhD or non-EdD candidates are very hard to come by in anything except straight classroom teaching. It also puts you on the highest salary tracks.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
I have a friend who does curriculum and is pursuing an EdD. He told me it was the expectation in his field.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:39 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,874 times
In IL it is the key to unlocking the riches of the kingdom. Which is to say it puts you on the administrative track which will allow you to get actually rich off the public purse for very, very little work. However you are not a real doctor and it is pretty much a total joke outside the school system and even within it, everyone knows it is a total joke. So if you want something that is of innate value or something to tie your identify to, or to be proud of, this is not it. However if you want a fat paycheck and to be part of the administrative burden imposed on society, then this is your ticket; a retarded monkey can get one. Literally on the block I have a home in, in IL, I have 4 people with Ed D, and these people are about as bright as a steaming pile of dog droppings. I am routinely amazed at how dumb they actually are.

Once again, my comments are about IL. Perhaps outside of IL it is different.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
A and B

A: Depends on who you are working for and how they see it. When I got out of the service at the end of the Cold War, the CIA recruiter wanted everyone to have a Masters degree. It didn't matter in what, just to have one for a Masters showed a higher level of thinking.

B: A relative has an Ed.D. and he seems to be doing rather well. Of course, he's in one of those jobs that he can't talk about.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:32 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
In IL it is the key to unlocking the riches of the kingdom. Which is to say it puts you on the administrative track which will allow you to get actually rich off the public purse for very, very little work. However you are not a real doctor and it is pretty much a total joke outside the school system and even within it, everyone knows it is a total joke. So if you want something that is of innate value or something to tie your identify to, or to be proud of, this is not it. However if you want a fat paycheck and to be part of the administrative burden imposed on society, then this is your ticket; a retarded monkey can get one. Literally on the block I have a home in, in IL, I have 4 people with Ed D, and these people are about as bright as a steaming pile of dog droppings. I am routinely amazed at how dumb they actually are.

Once again, my comments are about IL. Perhaps outside of IL it is different.
I would say that the quality of your post pretty much says all we need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching